Author Topic: N00b here.....  (Read 19149 times)

Offline Collector

Re: N00b here.....
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
although I am a native Greek- all these ..... look Greek to me. :D :D

It's not Greek, it is "Geek" ;)

Anyway, you need to use the full editor, not the quick reply at the bottom. Click the "Reply button at the bottom of the last post.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 01:09:10 AM »
Okay, using "picture 1, picture 2, picture 3 etc, explain me WHAT do I have to COPY and WHERE in order things to work.

(BTW, I uninstalled everything from WinAGI and made a new fresh install)

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 01:10:26 AM »
5 pictures yet....

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:33 AM »
2 pictures yet....

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:07 AM »
finished....

Offline Collector

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 02:05:18 AM »
Go to http://agi.sierrahelp.com/Tools/index.html#SierraAGI and download the links:

"Sierra AGI Interpreter v2 936 (ZIP file) [30.5 KB]"
"Sierra AGI Interpreter v3 002 149 (ZIP file) [29.2 KB]"

You will have two files, "Sierra_AGI_Interpreter_v2_936.zip" and "Sierra_AGI_Interpreter_v3_002_149.zip"

Open "Sierra_AGI_Interpreter_v2_936.zip" and drop all of the files inside it into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinAGI GDS\Templates\Version2" folder.

Open "Sierra_AGI_Interpreter_v3_002_149.zip" and drop all of the files inside it into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinAGI GDS\Templates\Version3" folder.

You can safely delete the "Version2VB" and "Version3VB" folders.

Open "DOSBoxRun.zip" from below and add the contents to both of the two folders above.

The Version2 folder should now have the Resources folder and:

HGC_FONT
LOGDIR
OBJECT
PICDIR
SNDDIR
VIEWDIR
VOL.0
DOSBOX.BAT
dosbox.conf
AGI.EXE
Conf.exe
RUN.EXE
GAME.INI
RUN.INI
AGIDATA.OVL
CGA_GRAF.OVL
EGA_GRAF.OVL
HGC_GRAF.OVL
HGC_OBJS.OVL
IBM_OBJS.OVL
JR_GRAF.OVL
VG_GRAF.OVL
WORDS.TOK
globals.txt
TEMPLT.wag
TEMPLT.wal

The Version3 folder should now have the Resources folder and:

OBJECT
TEMPLDIR
TEMPLVOL.0
DOSBOX.BAT
dosbox.conf
AGI.EXE
Conf.exe
RUN.EXE
GAME.INI
RUN.INI
AGIDATA.OVL
CGA_GRAF.OVL
EGA_GRAF.OVL
HGC_GRAF.OVL
JR_GRAF.OVL
VG_GRAF.OVL
WORDS.TOK
globals.txt
TEMPL.wag
TEMPL.wal

Go to http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 and download the Windows version of DOSBox. Install it into its default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74)

You are now ready to start a game. In WinAGI, go to "Game" > "New Game" > "From Template" and choose "Version2". Select a folder for your new game outside of either Program Files directories, say in a new folder in your Documents folder and click OK.

Once the new game is open, go to "Game" > "Properties". Click the browse button for the "Game Executable" and select "RUN.EXE" inside of the game's folder.

You will have a new game ready for you to begin developing. Clicking the run button will automatically start the game in DOSBox so you can test your work.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:07:13 AM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Collector, I followed your instructions line by line. The result is the same. Here are the photos to prove it. Anyway, I am bored and tired of AGI. I will turn to AGS. Thank you very much for everything.

Offline Collector

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
I am not sure what might be going on. It may be some Win8 specific thing. It works on my Win7 with no issue. One thing that I am curious about is that yours shows a Template1. AGI 1 is very rare and that should not be there. Where did you download WinAGI? I am pretty sure you grabbed a bad copy. Perhaps some old beta build? Uninstall it and try the one from here:

http://agi.sierrahelp.com/IDEs/WinAGI.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:49:18 PM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
Anyway, maybe it's cause of Win8 problem. I really don't know. I really don't care anymore. :)

I have a stupid question: King's Quest V was released in 2 versions. EGA and VGA. Both used the same, 320x200, resolution. The first with 16 colors and the second with 256 colors. But.......why the art in the EGA version of King's Quest V is MUCH better than in for example, King's Quest IV, since both use the same resolution and the same number of colors? Is that something I don't understand OR it was just a matter of choice and artists' capabilities?

Offline Collector

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
Different interpreters. KQ5 is SCI1 while KQ4 is SCI0. In fact, KQ4 is the very first SCI game. For KQ5 the PIC images for the EGA version are simply a reduction of the palette of the VGA version. There are some abandoned resources in KQ5 VGA that have more traditional EGA PIC resources used in earlier interpreters.

As to WinAGI, there are other IDEs that you can use that don't have the compatibility issues that WinAGI has. Nailhead's AGI Studio seems to work with fewer issues, but is missing a PIC editor. You can use the Java port of PiEdit or you can use the Visual AGI PIC editor.

http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?title=AGI_Studio
http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?title=Visual_AGI
http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?title=PICEDIT
KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 11:15:32 PM »
I know this is old. I'm just going through my old bookmarks and was rediscovering this place and was extremely happy to find that it's not dead here yet! I miss SCI-ing...

Anyway, there's also QT AGI Studio (aka Linux AGI Studio for Windows) which has a built-in Picture resource editor.

http://agistudio.sourceforge.net/
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
Anyway, maybe it's cause of Win8 problem. I really don't know. I really don't care anymore. :)

I have a stupid question: King's Quest V was released in 2 versions. EGA and VGA. Both used the same, 320x200, resolution. The first with 16 colors and the second with 256 colors. But.......why the art in the EGA version of King's Quest V is MUCH better than in for example, King's Quest IV, since both use the same resolution and the same number of colors? Is that something I don't understand OR it was just a matter of choice and artists' capabilities?

Hi there. If you're still around, and still interested in WinAGI, I am the creator. I've been away from the AGI scene for a long time, only recently having been poking around it again.

The problem with templates not loading was a bug that is related to Windows Local Settings (users formatting numbers with '.' for thousands, and ',' for decimal point). I used actual numbers to reference version numbers, converted to strings, so if you write 2.917 as 2,917 in your locale, WinAGI would hiccup. You can work around that by manually copying the template file you want into your new working directory and then opening it.

I fixed that bug years ago, but never got around to releasing it. I've been playing around with it recently, and will probably be releasing an update soon which solves that (and a few other bugs that were in the last release). I've tested it on a Windows10 box and it seems to run just fine.

If you have any questions about WinAGI, send me a msg or post in the forums here!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.