Author Topic: ScummVM 1.7 - Support added for fan games  (Read 9045 times)

Offline gumby

ScummVM 1.7 - Support added for fan games
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Just stumbled upon a commit to GitHub dated about 3 months ago.  I downloaded 1.7 and sure enough, it looks like it detects our games (recent ones too, Betrayed Alliance is detected just fine), and there is support for sciAudio as well.

I cranked up LockerGnome Quest Redux and the audio seems to work great.  I did notice however that 'right-click' looking doesn't seem to work (though this might be some sort of configuration option that needs to be set in ScummVM)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:38:45 PM by gumby »

In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Collector

Re: ScummVM 1.7 - Support added for fan games
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
Have to check LB1 to see if SVM if right click look works in it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:58:58 PM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Collector

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
Just checked. It does work with LB1
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:49 PM »
Have you ran your zork project through it yet to see how it does?

Going to download it now and see how it does with my current project.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:06 PM »
My understanding is that for SVM to ID a game it checks the MD5. For SCI it is probably based on the resource archive or MAP file. If it does not recognize it, it will simply give it a generic engine ID. So unknown SCI game would be identified as simply "sci game".
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
So I don't seem to be getting the results that you are getting.

When I tried to open up a game that has not yet been released, it did not recognize it as a fan made sci game. It did however open Black Cauldron just fine, but I'm pretty sure it has supported it for a while.

I also tried Island of Secrets Demo and got the same results as I did with my game in progress.

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 12:32:45 AM »
With the "template-demo" name, it looks like it must be looking for the internal name. What happens if you set the game name in the scripts?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »
On the add game screen, it sees what the game has been named. However on the  home page it lists them the same, (Demo/DOS/English) and generates the same error at start time, Error running game: Game data not found.

Offline gumby

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
Yeah Cloudee, I'm getting the same error trying to troubleshoot the 'right-click looking' problem.

If I grab 120 Below from the downloads page here, it'll 'Add Game' just fine and run.  However, if after I add the game I attempt to change any of the code, it'll throw a 'Game data not found' error and won't run.

As Collector indicated, it's performing some sort of hashing function against the resource.001 and resource.map files to identify the game before launching it.  For troubleshooting I may be able to get around this problem by exporting my compiled script as a 'patch' resource and putting in the root directory of the game and not within the resource.001 file at all.

Offline gumby

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
Okay, I've got the right-click looking working now.  The issue is that a right click in ScummVM has it's modifiers flag set to 3, and DosBox uses 515.

In order to not require a new build of ScummVM with new hash values because of the resulting code change, I just exported the script to a patch file and dropped it into the main folder of the game.

I'll have to re-upload LockerGnomeQuest Redux & 120 Degrees Below Zero with the new patch included.

I guess if we really want to have good, up-to-date ScummVM support we will have to communicate to the dev team regarding new game releases.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:25:36 PM by gumby »

Offline gumby

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
With the "template-demo" name, it looks like it must be looking for the internal name. What happens if you set the game name in the scripts?

I don't think it's looking for a name, based on this it looks like it's doing an MD5 on the template games as well (screenshot below):

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »
I am a bit curious, though, as to why bother with SVM? SCI0 works flawlessly in DOSBox with superior sound. To get it to run from the IDEs could be done, but is more involved than DOSBox. I will admit to being a bit prejudiced against ScummVM given the arrogance of some the SCI members of the team. They belittled anyone that said that they didn't want the "undithering" feature imposed on SCI0 games as no one but them knew better. I was also a bit ticked with them trying to usurp the SCI and AGI communities on their boards.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline gumby

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »
I just figured that the more engines/environments that can support our games, the better.  In my mind having a choice of how to run the games is a good thing :).

Offline Collector

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
Agreed. It also has the advantage that you can install it on an iOS device without jail breaking it, but it not so for DOSBox. I think they have some kind of predictive code to ease the lack of a keyboard. Also, some will want to use SVM just because they never got used DOSBox. It doesn't help that the SVM team tells users that DOSBox is too hard to use.

I was just thinking of it from the IDE point of view, not the end user. As to support of our fan games, the SVM team must occasionally check the games page here to add new fan games, not that many have been added, lately.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 01:29:30 AM »
Well, I revisited scummvm today. I was curious yet whether or not Manic Mansion was playable using the current release. It wasn't. I guess I should have looked for an actual build instead of going for the most recent release. But oh well.

After failing to open Manic, I moved on to the next most recent one that I released. Winter Wonderland. Which it did open up all right. One thing I did notice however, no matter what midi options I chose I just couldn't get the music to play in scummvm. Fired it up with DosBox just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and I tell you what, the music adds so much to that game. Without it, it is just boring. I caught myself playing it a bit and now it makes me want to talk about it some.

One thing about that game I don't think I ever mentioned, or at least don't remember saying, easy alt debugging is still intact.

puzzle 1 - room 4
puzzle 2 - room 3
puzzle 3 - room 2
Ending - room 5

Also, if you go into the source code for room 1, and change the picture number to 800, you could then teleport to room 1 and see the very beginnings of what I had started doing. This was going to be a series of mini games, not just a sliding tile puzzle collection. Room 1 was going to be matching snow flakes. Also you may notice some unused views in there,  I was also planning on making a snowball fight bit...

Ok, trip down memory lane complete... and I am still going to stick with Dosbox for my SCI game playing needs.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.