Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 393392 times)

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #600 on: February 18, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
While I'm waiting on that, does every Audio sound need a corresponding MIDI sound? In the meantime I've attempted to create new Audio sounds starting at 4000 (so that nothing after it will be corrupted), but when they are triggered from script the game can't find 4000.snd. Of course, I never rebuilt resources or repackaged audio, so the new sounds still might not be showing up to the game I guess. I'll try rebuilding and see if putting new audio files at the end of the list solves the corruption issue.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #601 on: February 18, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
Ok, I think it does actually have something to do with this.

Try the following (with an uncorrupted KQ6-CD, lol):

- File->Import Patch File, and choose the 65535.map in the KQ6 directory
- Give it resource number 65535 and click ok to import
- Close the game
- Delete 65535.map from the KQ6 directory (or rename it to something else so neither Companion or Sierra.exe will find it)
- Re-open the game...

Now if you add sounds, etc..., does everything work properly?

I no longer see corruption in Companion if I do this, but I haven't tried the game out to see if it can handle having 65535.map embedded in the main resource package instead of being a patch file.

Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #602 on: February 18, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
While I'm waiting on that, does every Audio sound need a corresponding MIDI sound? In the meantime I've attempted to create new Audio sounds starting at 4000 (so that nothing after it will be corrupted), but when they are triggered from script the game can't find 4000.snd. Of course, I never rebuilt resources or repackaged audio, so the new sounds still might not be showing up to the game I guess. I'll try rebuilding and see if putting new audio files at the end of the list solves the corruption issue.

Nah, it's probably the same issue as before... Companion writes 65535.map to the resource package, and the game (and Companion, if you reload the game) read from the 65535.map patch file). Same as having sierra patch file turds left over and scripts not "updating" correctly or whatever. I should have some warning if you save a resource that has a matching patch file.

« Reply #603 on: February 18, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
There we go. That was it. Works now. I didn't realize 65535.MAP was a patch file!

Offline Kawa

« Reply #604 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »
does every Audio sound need a corresponding MIDI sound?
Negatory.

« Reply #605 on: February 20, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
Feature request/Bug report

When a game is loaded it loads all the packaged resources as well as the patch files. When editing a view patch file (or probably anything else) and exporting it (overwriting the original patch file) it does not update the resource explorer list and still shows the older patch file before it was updated. If you double-click to open the patch file in the list it shows the older version. You have to close the game and reopen it to get it to update. Is there a way that after exporting a patch file that you can update the resource list? Or would this run into potential problems if say you weren't exporting to the game directory (so there'd be no need to update the list)? Would anything hinge on this that would be broken in this scenario? I'm trying to think like a programmer here lol.

Offline troflip

« Reply #606 on: February 20, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »
I don't think it's necessarily a risky change, no. I could just detect if it's in the same folder and update the item in the view.

What scenario do you have that requires this though? In general I'd recommend just importing whichever patch files you have into the game and then deleting them, and not bothering with them anymore. (Were I designing SCI Companion from scratch, I might make it *only* deal with patch files, and then have an option to package stuff up).

Offline Collector

« Reply #607 on: February 20, 2016, 02:27:23 AM »
I thought that the 65535.map was a map file for the RESOURCE.AUD and or the RESOURCE.SFX.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #608 on: February 20, 2016, 03:33:38 AM »
Well, I'm thinking particularly of scenarios involving patching Sierra games. It's not a big deal. I just have to be careful to reopen the game every time I export. There are other ways around this though, I suppose. Like packaging everything important and then exporting later. Just in this case I wanted to keep the original unaltered resources handy.

Offline troflip

« Reply #609 on: February 20, 2016, 03:40:06 AM »
Well, I'm thinking particularly of scenarios involving patching Sierra games. It's not a big deal. I just have to be careful to reopen the game every time I export. There are other ways around this though, I suppose. Like packaging everything important and then exporting later. Just in this case I wanted to keep the original unaltered resources handy.

Well, but I'm saying you may as well just import the patch files into the game and then be done with them. They exist for a reason (for Sierra to fix bugs), so they should be part of the game... and when editing a game, SCI Companion admittedly doesn't play nicely with them. I would probably be convenient to have "rebuild resources" offer the option of incorporating the patch files then deleting them (or moving them to a backup folder or whatever).

I thought that the 65535.map was a map file for the RESOURCE.AUD and or the RESOURCE.SFX.

It does. It's the map file for the regular audio resources. But it's a resource just like any other, which can be a patch file or included in the game's resource.000 package. Most games have 65535.map included in the resource package. KQ6-CD doesn't (maybe it was patched, because they modified/added some sfx).

« Reply #610 on: February 20, 2016, 04:02:08 AM »
My line of thinking is distribution. Seeing as it's illegal to distribute an entire copyrighted game (edited or not), customized patch files are a lot less incriminating. And smaller in file size.

Can 65535.map be exported out again?

Offline gumby

« Reply #611 on: February 20, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Just starting creating room scripts.  I believe I found a bug where if you rename the script within the 'Scripts' tab, the script isn't renamed at the file-system level.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #612 on: February 21, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »
Just starting creating room scripts.  I believe I found a bug where if you rename the script within the 'Scripts' tab, the script isn't renamed at the file-system level.

Oh yeah, I knew about that one, but never got around to fixing it. It is annoying, I agree.

Offline gumby

« Reply #613 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
Hey troflip, I was digging through some of the files that house constants, specifically Verbs.sh, Talkers.sh and the .shm files.  I notice that you put a disclaimer indicating that "This file should only be edited with the SCI Companion message editor". 

Other than just completely jacking your game up by changing the constant names or corresponding values so that scripts won't compile, is there another reason why I cannot generate these external to Companion?  Or is there something more going on behind the scenes when a message file is being created from the gui with regard to these files and their values?

In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #614 on: February 22, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
Sierra's tools put "should only be edited with ME" in there. It really doesn't matter, from what I've seen -- the file is parsed and the message editor uses it to map numbers to names. If a pair is changed, nothing breaks in the editor. The compiler, however, won't know what an N_GRUE is.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.