Author Topic: Sound resources SCI1  (Read 2509 times)

Offline troflip

Sound resources SCI1
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »
I have some questions about how people would edit sound resources (Musically Inspired, I'm looking at you!)

In SCI0, there are 15 channels in a resource, and each "device" can choose which channels are enabled. So it's fairly easy to just pick a device and have check boxes to turn on/off channels for that device (that functionality is in the version of SCI Companion you've been using).

In SCI1 though, sound resources can have multiple "versions" of a single channel, for use by different devices. So I can't just display the standard 15 channels. There may be 3 different sets of data for channel 4.

So I'm just wondering about workflow when importing a midi file into SCI Companion. Would it ever be the case that you'd want to be able to import several different midi files into one sound resource (thus having the possibility of multiple versions of a particular track for different devices)? Or is it enough to just be able to import one midi file into a sound resource, and assign tracks to the devices?

Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: Sound resources SCI1
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:11:58 AM »
Hmmmm. Interesting. I suppose it'd be easier to have separate MIDI files dedicated specifically for different devices rather than making a big collage of a frankenstein MIDI. Then again it'd be easier to align events to certain times and themes with each device's version. I'd probably stick with one MIDI. It's not something you could (would bother?) doing the extra work to implement both?
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: Sound resources SCI1
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:22:05 AM »
Thinking back on this again, I'm imagining how I'd work. At first I'd probably create a single MIDI file but then what about afterwards when I might want to add something without fouling the whole thing up? Perhaps keeping separate MIDI's per version would be best after all.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.