Author Topic: Starting to learn AGI! (and unexpected result from first test)  (Read 605 times)

Offline stuntology

Starting to learn AGI! (and unexpected result from first test)
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
Hello everyone! I just decided to look into learning AGI programming a few weeks ago after learning some basic Java. Thanks to the great resources available, I haven't had too much trouble creating a small sample one-room game through a lot of trial and error.

One thing keeps coming up, though, that I am perplexed by and am hoping somebody can help me out with. In my sample game (built upon the template game in AGI studio), whenever a word not in my WORDS.TOK file is input by the player, a message pops up that says "Logged an unknown word." I can't find the reason for this anywhere in the logic. Why does it happen, and how can I remove it?

There's one other small thing I can't find info on specifically related to using AGI studio. Do you guys know of an easy way to transpose cells in a loop (for a view) for easier animation (change what you want) than drawing the next cel from scratch?

I'm really looking forward to learning more about creating AGI games and can hopefully build my own full game eventually!  ;D Thanks guys!

Offline Collector

Re: Starting to learn AGI! (and unexpected result from first test)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:26:04 AM »
I haven't looked at this template game, but you could search the logic files for that string to change the message to whatever you want it to be, i.e. "I don't know how to... " or anything like one of the standard Sierra messages for unrecognized input.

Are you trying to use AGI Studio? Most of the AGI IDEs have issues on modern Windows. I have been developing a new IDE for AGI, but need help with the Logic backend before it is that usable.

Have you been referring to the AGI Wiki? It has a number of tutorials and other resources. http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:31:03 AM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline stuntology

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Yes, the wiki is fantastic! Pretty much everything I learned was from there.

I've still yet to find the reason for "logged an unknown word", so if anyone knows, please let me know!

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:59:59 PM »
It is just a generic message when the parser encounters a word that is not in its vocabulary. You can add the word to the WORDS.TOK. Change the message to something more user friendly or whatever what you want for all the words you do not want to add, such as "I don't know that word" of "Find another way to say that."
KQII Remake Pic

Offline stuntology

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:58 AM »
I just did another through search of the logic, and finally found the source of the problem!

It's in the code for debug mode, which I guess I disregarded beforehand because I assumed it would be in one of the main logics instead. I was really puzzled because there IS code in the main logic for responses like the ones you gave ('I don't know what you mean', etc.), and I couldn't understand why my unknown words didn't trigger that.

I probably would have solved this a lot faster if I deactivated debug mode for the last edit of my test, but I figured it would be pointless because it wasn't meant to be a game for playing.

So, problem solved, now onwards and upwards! :)

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.