Author Topic: Hacking SQ1VGA with SCICompanion v3  (Read 28194 times)

Offline OmerMor

Re: Hacking SQ1VGA with SCICompanion v3
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »
Imagine if it did.

There's nothing holding you back from using the original sierra tools to build your resource packages. Compression and all.

Offline troflip

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »
Imagine if it did. I could have space left on the Catdate demo diskette for a manual and such!

Sorry, you'll have to burn it to CD-ROM I guess :-/
But then you'll have limitless extra space for more audio or whatever! No one will ever need more than 600MB.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
There's nothing holding you back from using the original sierra tools to build your resource packages. Compression and all.
Also multiple volumes! Besides not having the foggiest how but who's counting?
Sorry, you'll have to burn it to CD-ROM I guess
Joke's on you, the demo fits on a diskette just right, even without resource compression.

Offline spiffythedog

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »
Amazing work spiffythedog!

And kawa: HA!   ;D

Thanks!

Restored animation loops for triple-breasted alien girl and yellow slug guy in the Rocket Bar (caused by a faulty if statement, loops only play when 'Detail' in original game is set below 2)
I quoted this on IRC. Shenanigans ensued:

*KAWA SNIP*

Huh. I always assumed it was a Total Recall reference, myself.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:33:21 PM by Kawa »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »
There are so many works with triple-breasted alien ladies dated before SQ1 it ain't even funny.

Offline spiffythedog

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
  • When unmasked, Sarien officers on the upper levels initially don't produce a laser sound effect when they shoot you. The second and subsequent shots however do produce a laser sound (compiling 703.scr, which controls this behaviour, produces a warning message "Ignoring public class for export: DeltaurRegion. Line: 331, col: 6," and the game crashes when loading a save game after the Deltaur airlock or loading one from within the Deltaur itself)

FIXED (thanks to troflips latest update)

• Bizarrely, the talking animations for the Two Guys during the two special death sequences in the Kerona underground (as well as the ones I added for the Restart and Quit submenus) will simply stop working when you have 10 inventory items. Arriving in the underground with more than 9 items or picking up a 10th while you're there causes the animations to stop. Sounds crazy and arbitrary, but I've tested it thoroughly, and it's the exact same result each time.

Still completely stumped by this one. Mouth animations seem to stop almost entirely at random (too many on-screen animations?) when triggering the death sequences on either screen. The game can't seem to handle any alterations to the speed and/or timing of the mouth animations, several of which I've already made. This happens regardless of whether or not the Restart and Quit submenus are animated. Might have something to do with 'RandCycle,sc', as that seems to control the mouth animations for these sequences.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Still completely stumped by this one. Mouth animations seem to stop almost entirely at random (too many on-screen animations?) when triggering the death sequences on either screen. The game can't seem to handle any alterations to the speed and/or timing of the mouth animations, several of which I've already made. This happens regardless of whether or not the Restart and Quit submenus are animated. Might have something to do with 'RandCycle,sc', as that seems to control the mouth animations for these sequences.
Maybe you should give it a try with ScummVM; if it's a memory corruption problem, it will certainly behave differently, and you'll know for sure. I'd try it myself, but it's hard to tell from your description what I need to do to reproduce it.

Offline troflip

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
I second Lars' suggestion to try it in ScummVM... but might not ScummVM reject it because the resource package hash is different?

Can you describe the changes you've made? Did it work properly without the changes? (Trying to rule out a SCI Companion decompiler/compiler bug here).

Also, make sure you're not loading previous save games (e.g. to quickly get back to the underground) after you've made changes. That could certainly cause corruption.

Offline spiffythedog

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »
I second Lars' suggestion to try it in ScummVM... but might not ScummVM reject it because the resource package hash is different?

Can you describe the changes you've made? Did it work properly without the changes? (Trying to rule out a SCI Companion decompiler/compiler bug here).

Also, make sure you're not loading previous save games (e.g. to quickly get back to the underground) after you've made changes. That could certainly cause corruption.

I've tested it in both ScummVM and DOSBox, and it produces pretty much the same behaviour. I've already made all the changes I need to the mouth animations in the scripts for both rooms (slowing them down, cutting out some of the dead air and keeping them on screen for longer) and can freely test/observe them, provided I do a low item run (picking up as few items as possible). Even then, there's always the possibility that the mouth animations will choke at some point near the end of either of the death sequences.

Going into the underground on a full item run (collecting every single possible item, give or take 1 or 2 items) seems to choke the animations for both the special death sequences in rooms 32 and 33 (possibly related to the current size of the inventory window?) as well as the animation loop I added to the Quit and Restart screens (this I shamelessly pinched from disk version of SQ4).

For the latter, altering the script in Main.sc from:

(method (restart/exit)
      (babbleIcon view: 946 loop: 4 cycleSpeed: (* (+ global87 1) 4))

to:

(method (restart/exit)
      (babbleIcon view: 946 loop: 4 cycleSpeed: 12)

seems to provide greater overall stability animation-wise when on a low item run, but it still doesn't completely guarantee that the mouth animations for the death sequences won't choke at some point near the end.

I'm sorry I can't be much clearer on this, as it all seems very convoluted and sensitive. I'm just as baffled as you guys, honestly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:18:54 PM by spiffythedog »

Offline troflip

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 12:28:40 AM »
You've modified the code and something is no longer working as you expect... I wouldn't say I'm baffled, happens to be all the time :P

ScummVM has a pretty good debugger, and since you can repro it there, you can probably diagnose this with a little work.

Offline spiffythedog

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 03:34:03 AM »
According to this (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Debug_Modes) and this (http://agisci.altervista.org/SDMFAQ094.TXT), there doesn't appear to be any known way of accessing the script debugger in SCI1 games with an interpreter version of less than 1.001.000, which SQ1VGA unfortunately seems to have. I've tried activating it in DOSBOX, which crashes the game, and ScummVM, which does nothing.

Offline troflip

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:20 AM »
The debugger is a function of the interpreter. ScummVM has its own debugger: ctrl-shift-D. Then type 'help'.

Offline spiffythedog

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 07:18:37 AM »
The debugger is a function of the interpreter. ScummVM has its own debugger: ctrl-shift-D. Then type 'help'.

Ah. I had a feeling I was on the wrong track. Thankee.

Offline spiffythedog

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
With the help of NewRisingSun, the SQ1VGA patch has finally been released over at VOGONS!

Check it out:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53119

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 03:10:52 AM »
Very nice!

Why is this patch not compatible with ScummVM? I can try to reach out to them and see if they're interested in importing those fixes directly into ScummVM.

Also,
have you considered sharing your annotated scripts so the community can learn from it?

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.