Author Topic: What's the name of this?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline troflip

What's the name of this?
« on: September 14, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Since it's quiet around here, what would you call these things on the tree?

(I know what I call them, but I'm trying to figure out what the common name would be...)

Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: What's the name of this?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »
I don't think I knew the proper name. I just knew them as "tree fungi."
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
Shelf fungi or bracket fungi. There are several different species belonging to a group called polypores.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:43:02 PM »
Yeah, I've always called them tree fungi or shelf fungi. Polypores is the more technical term.

I think I've decided to use "conk", as it helps to have a single-word unique name for them in the game (since there will be multiple types of fungi around). Even if people haven't heard of the word "conk" (I hadn't, but it appears to be a common term to describe them), I can describe them as such so folks don't have to guess-the-word.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »
I believe in Hebrew we use the same word for mushrooms and these "polypores".

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
You can have nouns with adjectives in SCI. Gumbi showed us how once. Helped tremendously with "Basket of Goodies" in my KQ2SCI project. Just make a duplicate Said case to "conk". If implemented properly something like "Basket of Goodies" will automatically work alongside "Goodies Basket." Smart parser, SCI has.

Offline troflip

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »
So many things to remember! Yeah, I thought the < was only used for adjectives, and but it looks like it can be used for nouns too, when those nouns are used as adjectives.

At any rate, coming up with a unique name helps make things simpler. I can always support ' fungus<shelf' or ' fungus<bracket' in case people know those terms.

Mushrooms in particular are confusing here. Mushroom and fungus (and polypore) all mean different things in English (mushrooms and polypores being specific types of fungus). But as Omer pointed out, this may not be true in other languages. So I probably want those all to be synonyms of each other for simplicity (in case I decide to translate this game). Oh good, just thinking about translating a parser-based game gives me headaches. I dunno how Sierra managed to do that (perhaps not very well).

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »
When we remade KQ3 at AGDI we had to remove the ability to kick the cat because all the interactions were taken. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice. I'm sure Sierra did likewise in a few instances in their remakes.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:21:11 AM »
When we remade KQ3 at AGDI we had to remove the ability to kick the cat because all the interactions were taken.

What do you mean by "all the interactions were taken" ?

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »
Look, Use, Talk, etc. They all had a function that didn't involve kicking the cat. There was no Kick interaction so you couldn't kick the cat. People were disappointed about that lol.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
Look, Use, Talk, etc. They all had a function that didn't involve kicking the cat. There was no Kick interaction so you couldn't kick the cat. People were disappointed about that lol.
LSL7-style verb interface ftw! :)

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »
Out of scope with what the remake was supposed to be. But definitely works! :)

Fun fact: SQ2VGA by IA was originally supposed to have a complete parser interpreter. It turned out to be way too much work for the very few people who would actually use it. A shame.

Offline troflip

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Ooo, that LSL7 interface looks kind of clunky (just watched a gameplay video). It's like Sierra realized some of the flaws in its point-and-click interface and tried to bring back some of the flexibility of the parser (I actually tried something similar when I was implementing an interface for Cascade Quest several years ago when I thought about making it a mobile game).

I've only played a bit of the Lucas Arts games, but I liked that interface better. It felt fairly streamlined and flexible compared to Sierra's point-and-click. Of course I still prefer the text parser :P

Offline Kawa

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
tried to bring back some of the flexibility of the parser
From what I can tell from this gameplay video, it's kinda neither of these things :\

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
Ooo, that LSL7 interface looks kind of clunky (just watched a gameplay video).
[...]
I've only played a bit of the Lucas Arts games, but I liked that interface better. It felt fairly streamlined and flexible compared to Sierra's point-and-click. Of course I still prefer the text parser :P
Well, the LSL7 interface would have to be implemented from scratch, so in that sense it is no different from the LucasArts interface. Both should be possible to implement in SCI1.1, but perhaps the latter would be easier.

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.