Author Topic: What are we working on?  (Read 133776 times)

Offline Collector

Re: What are we working on?
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2021, 10:04:17 PM »
True.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2021, 09:41:01 PM »
I've been doing a little work on remaking Space Quest: The Lost Chapter in SCI01. With that engine, it could work as a hybrid of SQ3 and SQ4. It will have the parser, but may eventually also have VGA graphics (though the focus is on EGA for now).

I've got what I've done in a private Github repository.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Collector

« Reply #317 on: October 09, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »
Nice. I'll be interested in seeing the results. There is also the "Space Quest 0: Replicated" fan AGI game.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline daleks13

« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
Will there be speech pack for VGA Version ? And please fix the Stupid Squid puzzle.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
Will there be speech pack for VGA Version ? And please fix the Stupid Squid puzzle.

No speech pack, since the VGA version will still have the parser. That requires the Seasoned Professional VGA interpreter.

That squid puzzle will definitely be fixed in pretty much the same way the root monster puzzle was in SQ2VGA.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
For SQ:TLC and R44Q, I'll be doing animated talkers.

The dialog will be modeless, meaning the characters will move their mouths while the text is on-screen, so as not to interrupt the flow of events. QFG1EGA and Conquests of Camelot did just that. QFG2 fleshed it out further.

R44Q will just have a standard "talk to" command. This will not require separate script states for each line of text.

A better example for SQ:TLC is with Wilco Interactive, the hidden in-game hint service. You'll be able to ask him about anything, and the game will check an array for a matching said spec. If there's a match, he says the appropriate response. That's exactly how LB1 and QFG2 did things.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:35:15 PM by EricOakford »
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #321 on: October 12, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
I'm familiar with SQ:TLC, but not R44Q - I see it was originally in Dutch. Do you plan to support both languages? I'm not sure how translations in SCI work, do they have to be separate versions for each language or is there a mechanism to toggle between them?

Offline Kawa

« Reply #322 on: October 12, 2021, 04:34:53 PM »
In SCI01 I suppose you can use the multilingual Print and such, and give it "text like this%Dtekst zoals dit", but of course %D isn't a recognized language separator so you might as well just pretend it's English or German and use %G.

Somewhat relevant blog post: https://helmet.kafuka.org/logopending/2019/03/08/sci01-1-multilanguage-games-and-telephone-country-codes/ (yes the blog post uses # for its split point and the above example uses %, this is because one is SQ4 in French and the other is SQ3 in German.)

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2021, 11:04:00 PM »
In SCI01 I suppose you can use the multilingual Print and such, and give it "text like this%Dtekst zoals dit", but of course %D isn't a recognized language separator so you might as well just pretend it's English or German and use %G.

Somewhat relevant blog post: https://helmet.kafuka.org/logopending/2019/03/08/sci01-1-multilanguage-games-and-telephone-country-codes/ (yes the blog post uses # for its split point and the above example uses %, this is because one is SQ4 in French and the other is SQ3 in German.)

Unfortunately, The Seasoned Professional's interpreter (which is being used here) does not support this feature. A translation will probably require a separate version.

I'll try to make things easier by moving strings into Text resources later on.

I've actually managed to get the animated talkers working properly, thanks to a little thing called sub-scripts.

My main obstacle will be the graphics. The AGI rooms are too claustrophobic for Ego.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #324 on: November 05, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »
I know I've got a full plate already with projects, but one more I've got my eye on is to adapt QFG4 1/2 into SCI.

I'll likely remove the QFG title from the game, leaving only the subtitle (which I did in the status line). There will also be a content advisory (like Disney+) at the beginning of the game, as well as a setting in the control panel to adjust the mature content. I get how polarizing the game is, and the ability to make it less offensive will help.

I actually already extracted the original's data files using QuickBMS and its AGS script. The MIDI files can be imported into SCI sound resources, and the compiled room files have all the strings as plain text in them, which I can bring over to message resources. The only issue will be the graphics, which are stored in acsprset.spr. If only ScummVM supported pre-2.5 games...

But I should probably focus on testing the QFG1VGA upgrade to completion first.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2021, 07:54:56 PM »
as well as a setting in the control panel to adjust the mature content.
If you would like to see how I did that exact thing in The Dating Pool I'll be happy to share the relevant code with you.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »
as well as a setting in the control panel to adjust the mature content.
If you would like to see how I did that exact thing in The Dating Pool I'll be happy to share the relevant code with you.

No thanks, I've already done that as a new slider, and it seems to work okay.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #327 on: November 05, 2021, 08:13:29 PM »
Except it's more than just the slider. I have things change to reflect the new setting, on the fly.

Offline gumby

« Reply #328 on: November 06, 2021, 07:29:43 PM »
For the first time, I was able to do a complete play-through of Zork end-to-end.  Still have a lot to do, but the game is winnable  8)
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #329 on: November 06, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
Congratulations on that!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 23 queries.