Author Topic: Void Quest  (Read 158 times)

Offline troflip

Void Quest
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
Over the past two weeks I participated in Adventure Jam 2017 and made a game that explores the backstory of one of the minor Cascade Quest characters. It was my hope to flesh out some of the interactions and controls I'm using for Cascade Quest, and to avoid "wasting" 2 weeks (because I may include this inside CQ).

Anyway, here it is (submission to the jam required uploading it to gamejolt): https://gamejolt.com/games/VoidQuest/257270

If you try it out, let me know what you think! I probably went a little too heavy on content and a little too weak on polish, as there are still a lot reasonable input that doesn't generate good responses.

Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline lance.ewing

Re: Void Quest
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Really cool, and very addictive. I'm up to about 28 points at the moment. Temporarily stuck but will hopefully work it out later on.

Offline troflip

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
Feel free to tweet me a question and I'll give a hint (or ask here).

Offline gumby

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »
I like what you've done with the engine.  In full screen it looks really good and I appreciate the 'Classic Controls' option.

Haven't gotten very far in the game itself, only 12 points in.  Very good stuff!

EDIT:  Nice, finished it.  Difficulty wasn't too hard, puzzles were reasonable.  I did run into times where I knew what to do, just not how to orchestrate it - but that's to be expected.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:18:57 PM by gumby »
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
I did run into times where I knew what to do, just not how to orchestrate it - but that's to be expected.

The bane of any parser-based game, and unfortunately it can best be addressed by lots of playtesting, which is a bit of a luxury during a game jam. I only got about 2 hours worth of other people playing the game before submitting it.

I have a system to log input that gets bad responses and send the data to me, but I disabled it in the version I upload. Worried about privacy issues, and I didn't have time to make it opt-in. Plus I wouldn't really have the opportunity to make improvements anyway.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
Nice, finished it.  Difficulty wasn't too hard, puzzles were reasonable.  I did run into times where I knew what to do, just not how to orchestrate it - but that's to be expected.

How many points did you have at the end gumby?

I think I finished it once at about 67 points, but that was so far short of the max points that I figured there was quite a lot I hadn't done. So I'm playing it again and finding other things I didn't see the first time around.

Offline troflip

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:15 PM »
Hmm, a person on twitter reported they finished with 84 points, and I thought that was really low. I wonder if I have some bugs in the scoring. By my calculation, if you only do the mandatory stuff, you should end up with 118. That's a pretty big discrepancy, maybe I'll go see what's up with that...

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »
I think I'll need to repeat what I did and see if it really was a proper ending. It may have been a death scene...

Edit: No, doesn't seem to be an obvious death scene. The last thing it says is that he's lowering himself in to the hole and then it comes up with a black screen and a message box saying "Thank you for playing...". It does seem a bit sudden to be honest. I assumed it was because it was a piece of a larger story but perhaps this is a bug.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:14:05 PM by lance.ewing »

Online Kawa

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
Got stuck guessing the verb on refueling the tractor... but that's actually good because somehow, even after my usual Unity precautions, my laptop was running pretty damn hot.

That's an accomplishment. My cowboy hat's off to you, Phil.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 06:29:48 PM »
I just found the money and I'm fairly sure my points didn't go up as a result. I also noticed something earlier where my points didn't go up for something I would have expected it to increase for, I think when getting the webcam.

Is it part of the game that the picture frame gets a corrupt image on it? i.e. a distorted picture with an error message over it? My first thought was that it was part of the game, and actually that's still what I'm assuming. But I have noticed that the frame doesn't let you navigate after getting the corrupt image and if you escape and then look at it again, the frame is still non-responsive. I had to go in to a new room to be able to view the earlier five images again.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »
There's definitely something weird going on with the points. My points were up to about 85-87, or something around there, but when I put the completed form in the mailbox, it dropped down to 77.

Offline troflip

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Yeah, I figured out the points issue. I'll upload a fix tonight.

I'll also look at the bug with the picture frame. Someone who playtested it ran into that, but I hadn't been able to repro it.

And you did reach the proper ending. That was intentional (it wasn't because I ran out of time). Well, I guess I wanted a bit more of a cutscene at the end, but...

Offline Collector

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
The beginning of it inside of the cabin reminded me of Farm Nightmare. I have not had a lot of time to play more than just a few minutes, but looking good.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
The beginning of it inside of the cabin reminded me of Farm Nightmare. I have not had a lot of time to play more than just a few minutes, but looking good.

Haha, it does a bit. I think for Farm Nightmare I swiped a background from one of the Quest for Glory games or something. This time I made it from scratch.

Offline gumby

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
I scored 99 - I also think I experienced some score fluctuations, but not exactly sure when/where.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.