Author Topic: SCI 1.1 view palettes  (Read 3101 times)

Offline gumby

SCI 1.1 view palettes
« on: September 14, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »
So I'm starting to create views for my rooms.  I discovered pretty quickly that they tend to stand out because of the limited colors when creating a view.  The views I'm creating are specific to individual rooms, so conflicting palettes shouldn't be a problem. 

I suspect I can get around this by building an embedded palette? I found the 'Import' option in the palette editor, not sure how to use it - is there a way to import the palette from the corresponding PIC resource?

EDIT:  Never mind, found it.  Just open the PIC, go to the palette and export the .pal.  Then just import it into the view.  Nice.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:31:37 PM by gumby »

In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

Re: SCI 1.1 view palettes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
Mind you, views' embedded palettes will overrule pics' so if, like me, you replace a pic and its palette changes, the views will force the older palette until they too are updated.

Personally, I prefer to save pics' palettes as pal resources instead of .pal files, and just select them in the view editor. This should prevent the above thing with the old palette.

Offline gumby

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »
Thanks, that does seem cleaner to create a palette resource and keep it inside the game.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
I delete them before packing up a release, leaving only 999.pal and whatever I actually need to load in-game. Which so far means I only keep 999.pal :P

This being a manual operation, it's very easy to forget to do and my demos may or may not contain views with embedded palettes and/or more pals than just 999.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.