Author Topic: SCI0 Space Quest III Decompilation Problem  (Read 10663 times)

Offline Kawa

Re: SCI0 Space Quest III Decompilation Problem
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »
The panties thing is purely coincidental.

For one, the said string isn't literally that word, but a numerical reference. The parser's dictionary has a lot of different synonyms for things, all listed under that same number. This one, $91F, is "panties | shorts | skivvies | thermoweave | underwear". Notice how it's sorted alphabetically? The decompiler can't know that the canonical term is "thermoweave", so it picks the first in the list.

Offline WD-40

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
The panties thing is purely coincidental.

That's a fine explanation technically speaking, but when has Roger Wilco ever wore women's "panties"?

I'm simply arguing that this game has raunchy undertones. Is that so hard to accept?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but here's example #5...

Let's consider the wordage used to refer to a girl in 4 popular adventure games of the time:

SQ3: bitch | broad | female | girl | lady | slut | whore | woman
LSL2: bimbo | blond | blonde | broad | chick | girl | lady | maid | mama | mom | momma | mother | receptionist | secretary | slut | stewardess | woman
KQ4: fishwife | girl | girls | lady | maiden | wife | woman | women
PQ2: broad | female | girl | lady | woman

Isn't it funny that Space Quest even beats out Leisure Suit Larry? :o

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:36:04 PM by WD-40 »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 05:51:48 AM »
Yes, it is hard to accept.

People are very creative when it comes to "things to call a woman". You listed LSL2 and said SQ3 beat it? Try LSL3: "babe | bimbo | bitch | broad | chick | dike | dyke | female | fox | girl | lady | slut | woman". That's just for women in general! This doesn't even include any professions or the fat lady on the cruise.

It doesn't exactly surprise me that LSL2's synonyms for "man" are mostly professions: "barber | bore | boy | bum | captain | crewman | d | drunk | dude | guy | hairy | ken | maitre | man | passenger | reams | sailor | surfer | wino | worker". Doesn't mean Sierra are misogynists -- it means they're prepared for their players to be. And when a previous game turns out to not have enough support for misogynistic players' word choices... look one paragraph up.

As if I needed another reason besides "guess the verb" to prefer icon bars.

All that does mean that when checking your inputs, LSL2 will seemingly call every woman a bimbo, LSL3 will call them all babes, KQ4 fishwives, PQ2 broads etc. Seemingly, because what's actually stored in the script resources are, again, numerical codes. If you write "look/lady" in your script code and compile it, any inspection of the script resource will yield "look/bitch".

Offline WD-40

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »
Doesn't mean Sierra are misogynists

I dunno, I found another easter egg which can only be triggered when Roger is sitting in the grabber machine.

VOCAB: hosebag | rosella

Hosebag definition: A trashy, dirty, skanky or sexually loose woman.

(if (Said('fuck/rosella')) (Print(703 2)) // "Not with your crank!"

:-\

This obscure feature doesn't cater to anyone but the developers of SQ3. The only way for a player to find it would be through decompiling the resource files.

Now going back to my original argument: Can we please accept that the "Handy Pole 69" is a penis reference?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:31:39 AM by WD-40 »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Now going back to my original argument: Can we please accept that the "Handy Pole 69" is a penis reference?
No.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
Let's just stay on topic here...how about that?
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
(if (Said('fuck/rosella')) (Print(703 2)) // "Not with your crank!"

Well that's clearly an easter egg ;-)

69 is just the room number the object originally appears in.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline WD-40

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
69 is just the room number the object originally appears in.

Isn't the reference to 69 for the most phallic inventory item in the game highly suspect? given the sexual nature of two proven easter eggs: hosebag rosella and the vibrator in the junkbay? Of course we will never really know for sure, unless somebody wants to ask the TwoGuysFromAndromeda about it.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Stop.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
It's a coincidence. A few things are not coincidences. This one certainly is.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.