Author Topic: SCI Companion future feature requests  (Read 10143 times)

Offline troflip

SCI Companion future feature requests
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »
Here is a thread to put them in.

A couple of things I am planning on doing:
1) embedding help in the comments above functions (and extracting it so it could do things like display the help for a function call as you type it in)
2) support c-style syntax for scripts

Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline OmerMor

Re: SCI Companion future feature requests
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »
1) Decompiler!
2) SCI > 0 Support
3) Decompiler!!!  ;)

Thanks troflip!
  Omer.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 02:53:41 AM »
I'd like a possible sound resource editor or some type of viewer/player. Maybe something like Soundbox built right into SCI Companion. Maybe not with the ability to edit the notes themselve per se, but the ability to assign a channel to a specific patch output (ie- MT-32, Adlib, Tandy 3 voice, PC Speaker, etc).

I know that's a huge thing to ask, though, and a project in itself, really. For a small addition, even a simple player with the ability to play any of the patch versions of a specific sound resource (MT-32, Adlib, PC Speaker, etc) with an dropdown menu for selecting the desired output (MIDI output, SoundFont, digital audio, whatever).
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:15:09 AM »
I looked at adding a sound preview thing (a note editor would be a lot of work), and I think it would be easy, except I really don't know much about midi and how you determine what channel sounds like what, and patches and stuff... I find it call confusing.  If you can recommend a good website to learn about that stuff, please do....

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:40:09 AM »
I'm afraid I know of none. I wish I knew it all myself. Being a must freak I really should.

Offline troflip

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 07:03:23 PM »
This morning, I just compiled and ran my first successful c-syntax room.  Woot.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:32:57 PM »
Sweet! That new c style is gonna make things so much more easier!

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:25 PM »
When I compile with sci companion it doesn't put the cursor at the place where the first problem is...maybe it was not working right but does it usually go to the place in the script where it needs to be corrected.

By the way awesome job on sci comp...sorry the only thing that we have to offer is bug fixes and complaints...that is probably why brian stopped doing it...I hope you won't quit on us tro...
Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »
When I compile with sci companion it doesn't put the cursor at the place where the first problem is...maybe it was not working right but does it usually go to the place in the script where it needs to be corrected.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there...?

You have to double-click on the error, then it will place the cursor at the right spot.

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »
Oh I did not know that, very cool tro...I hate to be a complainer...
Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:40:04 AM »
Might I also bring up a suggestion for the pic editor that I mentioned some time ago. When you enable a fake ego on the pic to test the walkbehinds, also have a button to enable the ability for the fake ego to stop when coming into contact with white control lines. That'd help with priority/control colour orienting.

Offline troflip

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 01:36:13 AM »
It should already exist in the version you have.  Right click on the fake ego and check "Observe control lines".  When you drag the fake ego around, it should "stick" where it hits things, and the coordinates will turn red.

It's still missing some features though... right now it only observes white control lines.  And if you keep dragging, the ego will appear on the other side of the control lines eventually... I'm not sure how I like that behaviour.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 08:08:50 AM »
I think one of the nice things you could do with the syntax (since you're redoing it from scratch) is that you could add one of the features of Sierra's original language that didn't make it into Brian's compiler. Sierra SCI had two syntaxes for strings, one which put the string in the script resource, and another which put it in a separate text resource. This way you could do things like:
Code: [Select]
(Print "A very long string here")and the compiler would actually generate code corresponding to:
Code: [Select]
(Print 137 0)this gave you automatic management of text resources.
Similarly, the compiler automatically generated calls to ScriptID when you referenced an exported symbol from another script.

Offline troflip

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
The previous version of SCI Companion had that text resource feature, but I pulled it out.  It made the syntax incompatible with SCI Studio (since you then needed a separate way to specify strings that get embedded in the script resource), so I then had a mode where you could turn the feature on or off, but it was kind of a mess.

I plan to re-enable it when the c-style syntax is ready.

I hadn't thought about the ScriptID thing though....

Offline troflip

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 03:37:44 AM »
Speaking of new syntax, I have attached an example of the Game script.
I just finished compiling all the major scripts in the new syntax, kind of a big milestone.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.