Author Topic: SCI01 Template Game  (Read 38471 times)

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: SCI01 Template Game
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
Why use a demo or minigame at all? The SCI0 template game used LSL3 as a base, IIRC. The SCI11 template game is based on a stripped SQ5. I don't see the issue with basing it on a full game, unless you're just thinking it would be easier to start with less and not have to strip stuff out?

Either way, I'm really looking forward to a SCI1 template game!
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »
Okay, I've fixed part of the issue with saving games. Based on what I did for the QFG1VGA decompile, I managed to replace the SRDialog doit with that from SCI16, adapting it for SCI01. Now, the interpreter no longer creates duplicate saves with the same name. But the graphical issue with the menu after restoring a game remains, though. It's probably some kind of buffer overflow.

UPDATE 3/5/2019: And now I've managed to address the graphical issue! What I did was put a space before each menu item in the AddMenus. This was done in KQ1SCI and Codename Iceman.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:44:34 PM by EricOakford »
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2019, 11:27:51 PM »
Nice!

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Quick question. I just opened up the template game and have a question.

There appears to be duplicates of resources, like views. When I  rebuild resources, they persist.

I'm not used to this and I don't know if it has advantages, disadvantages, or is completely neutral.

What's the purpose?

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2019, 10:25:21 AM »
I assume there'd be a hint in the table view? A bunch of patches lying around would be the most likely.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
I assume there'd be a hint in the table view? A bunch of patches lying around would be the most likely.
That is the case. Suppose I edit a patch. Will that be a problem?

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
I don't think so. I think it just saves over the patch file.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
Why use a demo or minigame at all? The SCI0 template game used LSL3 as a base, IIRC. The SCI11 template game is based on a stripped SQ5. I don't see the issue with basing it on a full game, unless you're just thinking it would be easier to start with less and not have to strip stuff out?

In both of those templates, they have clear signs of their origins.

SCI0 had the option of window colors (which is specific to LSL3) and the "Order Hintbook" joke option in the death dialog (again, this is only in LSL2 and 3).

SCI1.1 has SQ5's specific fonts, subclasses, and status code.

My main focus was to make my templates as generic and minimalist as possible, and mainly use the stock SCI resources that can be found in game demos. Since they're officially freely available and have minimal game-specific scripts, it makes perfect sense to repurpose those.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
Hmm... it seems I'd made a commit a month ago, but I'd forgotten to push it! Oops!    :-[

Most of the changes were in the system scripts, thankfully.
The big change here? Support for sorted features! They were used in QFG2.

Now this is as as complete as it can get. Have fun.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
Nice!

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
A major update!
Going back to the decompiled SCI0 system scripts and comparing them with their SCI01 counterparts using ExamDiff, I have managed to fill in the blanks for nearly every system script. The temp variables and parameters have been identified.
I'd gotten this idea from my recent decompilations of the LSL1, LSL5, SQ1VGA, and PQ3 demos, where I took the extra step in painstakingly identifying all the params and temps I could in their system scripts.
Also, while I'd done this earlier, I'd also created a subclass of InvItem in the main script. This subclass will allow item descriptions to be placed in a Text resource, saving on heap space and simplifying potential translations.

And there you go, the definitive template for SCI parser games is just about complete!

To answer Doan Sephim's question: The reason you see duplicate resources may be because I set the template to be managed as patch files. This is for source control purposes. The interpreter prioritizes patch files over the contents of RESOURCE.000. I have been using Kawa's SCICompanion build.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:47:28 PM by EricOakford »
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2020, 06:23:43 AM »
I have been using Kawa's SCICompanion build.
*feels validated*

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »
I fixed a major bug in USER.SC, which was the result of a missing line of code!
Specifically, it's in User's said: method, which is supposed to allow the parser to work with verbMessager. So if you were wondering why doVerb wasn't working, this is the reason, and it's been fixed now.

Also, I've made the handleEvent: method in Main a lot simpler, specifically the "look at inventory items" code.

So, if you're using the template, be sure to update your USER.SC file!
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 03:15:45 AM »
Insert gif of a happy cheering audience here. I dunno, Colbert's maybe?

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2020, 08:30:29 PM »
The game now has specific event handlers for keyDown, direction, and mouseDown events. This will allow for right-clicking on objects to "look" at them. Of course, I had to tweak some of the game scripts to accommodate this. as seen here.

I've been working on porting LockerGnome Quest to SCI01 as an example of this. It should be ready soon.
My SCI templates
SCI2.1 planned

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.