Author Topic: Adding a room to Quest for Glory 1 (VGA)  (Read 22206 times)

Offline richruss691

Re: Adding a room to Quest for Glory 1 (VGA)
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
I defined it in script 000.

Are you sure it's at a higher index than any other global flag?

I don't know what that means so, no i'm not sure.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2020, 12:12:13 AM »
I defined it in script 000.

Are you sure it's at a higher index than any other global flag?

I don't know what that means so, no i'm not sure.

That is, it's the last global in the list. But since this is a bit flag, you should probably have it be "SEARCHED_FRED_TREASURE" (the name I gave it in game.sh. If it's not there, make sure it's the last flag in the list!)
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline richruss691

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2020, 12:48:36 AM »
thank you EricOakford for saving my bacon once again! "SEARCHED_FRED_TREASURE" seems to have fixed it, unless that flag gets triggered somewhere else. I can't think why it would though. digPile was at the end of the list, i wonder why it wasn't working.

thank you troflip for your input as well, it was helpful.

next on the agenda will be to make it so you can take fred's beard, then all that'll be left for this room is bells and whistles, i think.

Offline richruss691

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »
All of the necessary parts of my new room are in and appear to function properly, just needs a little polish maybe some bells and whistles and thorough testing then it'll be done. However, I've decided to take a break from this room for a while and focus on something else. The end credits sequence suggested by OmerMor.

As OmerMor suggested, it looked like it would be fairly easy to implement the fly-over as it seemed to be mostly already done. So I copied the necessary views from QfG ega as place holders and told the script to run the code that it bypasses in the official release. Of course, the code doesn't work right. Amongst other things, and currently my biggest concern, the fly-over begins but shortly into it the game crashes with one of those "you did something we didn't expect" errors. I don't know sci well enough to figure out much of that code block beyond moving the carpet around the screen, so i don't know even where to start with debugging this one. I got it to stop displaying the error message but now the game just stops doing anything and I have to "X" out of the game.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
Which oops code number is it?

Offline richruss691

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
looks like error 4

Offline Kawa

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:31 AM »
That'd be "not an object".

What exactly isn't an object, I don't know. E_NOT_OBJECT may be raised by the Clone, DisposeClone, and RespondsTo kernel calls. More likely, it may also be raised by trying to send to something that's not an object, such as a null variable.

(Going off of SCI11 here, just in case.)

Offline richruss691

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Thanks. That is at least a starting point. Let's see if i can follow it somewhere.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 06:38:34 PM »
I've put up a significantly updated decompilation of QFG1VGA here. It hasn't been tested yet.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline richruss691

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2020, 07:14:12 PM »
awesome, thanks Eric

Offline richruss691

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:00 PM »
Solved it! Well sort of. I figured out where it was breaking and how to get around it. Still don't know why it was doing it.

There was Two things going on. First, the developers had bypassed most of the flight, I assume trying to track down the problem. That's why it was crashing early on in the flight. So all I had to do was remove one line of code and it would run through the whole flight.

The second problem is the part i'm still unclear on and was really the only problem. The flight was done with a series of setMotion statements crammed into a switch method. If they didn't need to change the view or cel for a while, they would reference an array of locations. Well, the last setMotion was referencing one of the arrays and apparently it didn't like ending ending the script right after the array reference. I was able to end the switch method with a MoveTo instead and now it works.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 03:02:13 AM »
Cool!
Can you upload a video to youtube? I'd love to see this.

Offline richruss691

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2020, 10:53:07 AM »
I'll have to figure out how to take video of game play but I'll see what I can do. Don't get too excited though, it's far from complete. The entire path is wrong so I need to adjust it. I still need to set some priorities and try to figure out the shadow. Then I can try to make The assets I took from the ega game look better and maybe implement some music. All of this should be doable even with my limited knowledge/experience but might take time.

Offline richruss691

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »
There you are OmerMor, as requested!

I also have to get those credits worked out. And, of course, the scene that should follow I'll have to build almost from scratch. Well, actually, I suppose I might be able to grab most of it from the EGA version. We'll see how that goes.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
Looking great! Thanks for uploading the video.
I really look forward to seeing this with music and credits.... as well as the troll's cave you're adding.
Keep up the great work!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.