Author Topic: March Community Competition (2007)  (Read 19191 times)

Offline Eigen

Re: March Community Competition (2007)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »
Doan, I also tried out your game but I'm yet to figure out how to play it but seems nice. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can get the flag and then usually the game says the opponent got the best of me. Create a tutorial level for dummies like me ;)

Well for me the whole part deciding which tile to attack next wasn't working. It entered a infinite loop and I couldn't understand why. So I rewrote most of the code but still the same effect. Then I did something more I can't even remember and it started to work somewhat how I wanted it to. Of course, then I kept running out of heap space with all those small views on the screen. So I removed half of the template scripts I didn't need, like inventory, door etc. I'll also make an updated version of the game soon to improve the game visually. I had no time for that yet.

The arrow in the corner was to navigate the menubar as there's no way to use the other hotspot.
Artificial Intelligence Competition

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »
Doan, I also tried out your game but I'm yet to figure out how to play it but seems nice. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can get the flag and then usually the game says the opponent got the best of me. Create a tutorial level for dummies like me ;)

Hmm...The only way that would happen is if your life bar was depleted (the top blue bar).

The arrow in the corner was to navigate the menubar as there's no way to use the other hotspot.

Oh...ok...I getcha now! That makes plenty of sense. Also, I know how to turn the ship vertical now (after reading the menubar section), but perhaps you could put that info right on the screen because at first I had no idea how to do that...
I like it...I ALMOST beat it on medium, but I couldn't search out one of those darned small ships! I think you did a fine job on the layout and art side of it!

Offline Eigen

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
Actually I planned to do a main menu like yours where you could read the help before game but I'll put that into the next version. Glad you like it though.

I'll play your game some more and I WILL beat it! :D

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »
I haven't seen where anyone has asked for any extensions, but there are only two entries  :P

I should be able to get online for a little bit this friday so to anyone who is thinking about making something, you'll have until the end of the week. So get to work.

Also, I intend to make Eigen, Troflip and Doan global moderators in case some spam or something wierd pops somewhere. So if you guys don't want that responsibility let me know and I won't but otherwise welcome to the staff of scicommunity soon.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »
Ok, so it has officially come to a close. Unfortunately we only had two entrants, but they were both excellent.

Doan is hereby given 2nd place. I opened it up read the instructions and started at it. I failed to beat the computer right off.  :P

Eigen therefore captures 1st place with his Battle ship remake, Ocean Battle. I was able to beat the computer in this one  ;D

Obviously you haven't gotten your trophies yet, but they are coming soon. I promise.

... and so ends the March competitions, Eigen's turn.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 12:25:41 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa! I don't consider it "officially" over until I get my trophy  ;)  :P

Congrats Eigen! Can't wait to hear the rules for the next compition!

oh yeah, do you plan on uploading a version with the source code Eigen??
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:28:10 AM by Doan Sephim »

Offline Eigen

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 03:39:18 AM »
Woo! Thanks .. got to think of new rules, quick.
I didn't include the source because it's really such a mess and I think it wouldn't benefit to anyone, only show that I'm a messy coder :D

-Eigen

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
The trophies are in the works, I know it's bad form especially since I only need to make two of them. I have something made, but I'm not happy with how they look yet. I promise the next time I'm online I will be sure to bring the trophies with me no matter what they look like.  ;)

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 06:30:15 PM »
When is the next competition Eigen???
Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 06:49:20 PM »
Yeah...the last one didn't seem to get anyone's attention...maybe it was a busy time of the year?

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.