Author Topic: SCUMMVM not supporting unlisted fan made games.  (Read 3666 times)

Offline cosmicr

SCUMMVM not supporting unlisted fan made games.
« on: September 24, 2020, 03:18:13 AM »
Anyone know why this is?

You have to register your game with them to be able to play it. Why can't they just make it work for any/all SCI/AGI games?

Is there a hack or hidden setting that might allow you to do this?

Offline lskovlun

Re: SCUMMVM not supporting unlisted fan made games.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 04:27:11 AM »
Because the rest of ScummVM works that way, I'm afraid. I do not agree with it personally, and fought it hard when the FreeSCI code base was merged. But I have to admit that versioning (especially with SCI1 and later) has turned out to have complications that I did not foresee when we only supported SCI0/SCI01.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:39 AM »
I recall instructions to make a change in the source code and recompile to get it to recognize fangames. Was a long time ago though.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
Hello cosmicr,
I believe ScummVM is not an emulator but a virtual machine.
So, it is not enough that the game engine is recognized.
Your game needs to be supported specifically by ScummVM.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
Hello cosmicr,
I believe ScummVM is not an emulator but a virtual machine.
So, it is not enough that the game engine is recognized.
Your game needs to be supported specifically by ScummVM.

This is not really accurate. As I said, I had them working fine with a line change in the source code. Beyond SCI0 it's a bit more complicated, yes. But still works. For a while the way to go to get ScummVM to recognize SCI1.1 fangames was tonkeep thr game class named SQ5 in the Main script. Don't know if that still works as I don't generally use ScummVM. It'd be recognized as SQ5 but you could just change the name in the options later in ScummVM.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline cosmicr

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
For a while the way to go to get ScummVM to recognize SCI1.1 fangames was tonkeep thr game class named SQ5 in the Main script. Don't know if that still works as I don't generally use ScummVM. It'd be recognized as SQ5 but you could just change the name in the options later in ScummVM.

I don't think that would work - my understanding is it does a hash of RESOURCE.001 and RESOURCE.MAP files and checks against it's list, so even if you had that class it would still be a diffferent hash.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 07:32:21 PM »
I don't think that would work - my understanding is it does a hash of RESOURCE.001 and RESOURCE.MAP files and checks against it's list, so even if you had that class it would still be a different hash.
It does do that.

And yet I can point "Add Game" to a friend's SCI11+ project (I'm teaching him how to write SCI games), pick SQ5, rename it in properties for clarity, and run it just fine.

Offline cosmicr

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »
Hmmm that's interesting, there's definitely more to it then. What about SCI0 games?

Offline Kawa

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
Many of those have their resource hashes listed. I don't know what would happen if you tried to add an unknown one, but it might just work similarly?

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.