Author Topic: evKEYBOARD question  (Read 10 times)

Offline doomlazer

evKEYBOARD question
« on: Yesterday at 11:12:31 PM »
In Police Quest 2 room 8 the game responds to F8 and F10 key presses (PQ2's gun shortcuts), with the message, "Calm Down. You have no need of your gun here."

If I'm interpreting this code correctly CTL+ALT+SHIFT+SCR_LOCK also triggers the same message.

Code: [Select]
(== (= eventMessage (event message?)) 16384)
I'm making some assumptions here based on the enums in sci.sh, so maybe I'm mixed up, but I'm curious as to what that key combination would have been used for on a DOS machine. I checked the PQ2 manual and searched online for the key combination, but I'm not seeing anything relevant.

It seems like an odd way to trigger Sonny's firearm. Any clue what might have been intended here?

A question about the number 16384, because I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Would 43168 return true as well or does it only match in that order?

A final question about PQ2. In the background pic the computer is branded HOYT +++, but in the game it overlays a sierra band. Any idea what HOYT might be?

Can you guess what the two synonyms for DOS in PQ2 are?

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:14:19 PM by doomlazer »

Offline EricOakford

Re: evKEYBOARD question
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:33:18 PM »
A question about the number 16384, because I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Would 43168 return true as well or does it only match in that order?

16384 translates to the hex value $4000. In keys.sh, this is the key code for F6, used to load the gun. F8 is used to draw or holster the gun, and F10 is used to fire the gun. This is all set up in the menu bar, but the decompiler wouldn't automatically know that. So yes, I need to go through that and make the code easier to understand.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline doomlazer

Re: evKEYBOARD question
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:07:22 AM »
Wow. I was way off. I was  also checking the manual for Scroll lock, when I should have verified the gun controls. Sorry, I haven't played PQ2 in at least 10 years.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:13:27 AM by doomlazer »

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 25 queries.