Author Topic: FreeSCI - compiling?  (Read 4912 times)

Offline SuperDre

FreeSCI - compiling?
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »
I'm trying to get FreeSCI compiled (downloaded the code from http://freesci.linuxgames.com/?page=download), but it ain't easy. I followed the instruction of the readme.win32 in regard to the structure for freesci and SDL..

The readme.win32 is a bit old, as it refers to the Microsoft site for the SDK's, but those SDK's are not available anymore (It seems I do already have DirectX 9 SDK (Update august 2005)).. And I'm baffled now where to get the needed ones.
I'm using VC++6 (as was mentioned in the readme), maybe later I'll try .NET 2003.
I already tried to compile it, but I got 115 errors:

Code: [Select]
******************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE ********************
You must have installed a recent Platform and DirectX SDK
for this build to be successful. Download MS SDKs from:
www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate
D:\src\freesci\src\engine\game.c(38) : fatal error C1189: #error :  *** BUILD FAILED: Need more recent SDKs or fix your SDK paths in Tools Options ***

I have 3 paths in my Tools options:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\INCLUDE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\ATL\INCLUDE
D:\DEVELOPMENT\MICROSOFT DIRECTX 9.0 SDK (AUGUST 2005)\INCLUDE

The first 3 where added I guess when I installed VC like a zillion years ago, and the latter I just added. I guess I also need one to the WIN32 SDK or something, but I first need to have that one...

I'm not really a C++ programmer (I'm not really fond on the whole syntax C is using) but once I get the project up and running it should be no problem for me to make changes etc..

Yeah, I feel like a real noob now asking such a seemingly easy question ;D

(Oh, one more thing, I first put the FreeSCI code where it belonged, and then I just put the glutton source over it, because the glutton source is missing some files).. Once I get this running I'll try to use the SVN version..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:57:34 PM by SuperDre »

Offline lskovlun

Re: FreeSCI - compiling?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
I can't really help you with Win32, as I'm sitting on a Linux box myself, but I can tell you that if you have the newest SDKs there shouldn't be a problem compiling FreeSCI. If the SDK detection logic is broken, I suspect you can simply remove the check. It's in src/engine/game.c.

I can definitely tell you that unpacking glutton and stable source code to the same dir is almost certainly asking for trouble. This is the first time I've heard of files missing in either distribution. Could you please be a little more specific about that? Oh, and using SVN might be a good idea, if you're planning to contribute code. Actually, darcs might be a better idea, since we lost control of the server which hosted our svn repository a while ago. But I don't have a darcs account myself yet, actually.

The darcs repository is at www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/creichen/freesci/darcs .

Offline SuperDre

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I guess the 'darcs' repository is dead, at least the link doesn't work..

I'm pretty sure that the code from the site doesn't really compile well (At least not for win32), since I extracted it again (now I only extracted freesci-0.3.5.tar.tar), and now it compiles better (I've installed some newer SDK's ), but still with some errors...

scriptdebug.c
D:\src\freesci\src\engine\scriptdebug.c(36) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
dd_driver.cpp
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'D:\src\freesci\src\gfx\drivers\dd_driver.cpp': No such file or directory
dd_driver_line.cpp
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'D:\src\freesci\src\gfx\drivers\dd_driver_line.cpp': No such file or directory
dx_driver.cpp
D:\src\freesci\src\gfx\drivers\dx_driver.cpp(48) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'graphics_directx.h': No such file or directory
sdl_driver.c
D:\src\freesci\src\gfx\drivers\sdl_driver.c(39) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
wrapper.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'D:\src\freesci\src\gfx\wrapper.c': No such file or directory
resourcecheck.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'D:\src\freesci\src\scicore\resourcecheck.c': No such file or directory
tools.c
D:\src\freesci\src\scicore\tools.c(36) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
event_ss.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'D:\src\freesci\src\sound\event_ss.c': No such file or directory
event_ss_win32.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'D:\src\freesci\src\sound\event_ss_win32.c': No such file or directory
midi_mt32.c
D:\src\freesci\src\sound\midi_mt32.c(30) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
midiout_win32mci.c
D:\src\freesci\src\sound\midiout_win32mci.c(30) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
polled_ss_win32.c
D:\src\freesci\src\sound\polled_ss_win32.c(40) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'win32/sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
sound.c
D:\src\freesci\src\sound\sound.c(42) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'win32/messages.h': No such file or directory
soundserver.c
thread_ss_sdl.c
D:\src\freesci\src\sound\thread_ss_sdl.c(37) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
usleep.c
D:\src\freesci\src\win32\usleep.c(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sci_win32.h': No such file or directory
Error executing cl.exe.

freesci.exe - 16 error(s), 93 warning(s)

and checking the path's it really is missing all those files.. but looking at the glutton code, that one does have at least the sci_win32.h file, but I haven't checked the other files if they are in the 'glutton' version..
So I guess I'll have to check the svn to see if that one does have all the files for the normal version...
HMMM... just tried svn, but it also seems completely gone... damn...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 02:55:22 PM by SuperDre »

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

I guess the 'darcs' repository is dead, at least the link doesn't work..
It certainly isn't. Perhaps you forgot to specify what branch you wanted? I use:
lars@hydra:/tmp$ darcs get http://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/freesci/darcs/glutton

I'm pretty sure that the code from the site doesn't really compile well (At least not for win32), since I extracted it again (now I only extracted freesci-0.3.5.tar.tar), and now it compiles better (I've installed some newer SDK's ), but still with some errors...
It turns out you're right. I\ll try to find the time to put up some fresh source packages once I figure darcs out.

and checking the path's it really is missing all those files.. but looking at the glutton code, that one does have at least the sci_win32.h file, but I haven't checked the other files if they are in the 'glutton' version..
So I guess I'll have to check the svn to see if that one does have all the files for the normal version...
HMMM... just tried svn, but it also seems completely gone... damn...
It should. And yes, svn is gone permanently. We lost administrator access on the box that hosted it.

Offline SuperDre

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:36:26 AM »
In regard to darcs, I tried the link that was provided in an earlier post, and that one didn't work.. I haven't installed darcs yet (pff, yet another CVS/SVN/SourceSafe clone, my computer is getting stuffed with all those variants.. LOL)..
When I've got some time, I'll see if I can get the darcs version... thanx..

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.