Author Topic: Sprites on outside of GUI windows  (Read 1277 times)

Offline MusicallyInspired

Sprites on outside of GUI windows
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:28:37 AM »
I while ago when I was first starting KQ2SCI I was asking about altering the custom GUI for text/save/restore/whatever windows ingame. Brian's code allows you to have a custom GUI for windows but only on the inside of the window. This hindered design ability since the bigger your view cels are on the inside of the text box the more space they'd take up and could make your text unreadable and ugly if too big.

Sierra's KQ1SCI remake demonstrated the ability to have sprites on the outside of windows rather than on the inside and you could make your borders as big as you wanted them to be and it wouldn't affect the text.

I'd like to reopen the possibilities of doing a custom GUI in the style of KQ1SCI's windows. Where you can have sprites "sitting" on top of a window or "hanging" from the bottom or sides, if you get what I mean. I've looked at Brian's code and so far I can't make heads or tails out of it. It is more complicated than your average script. ;) It'd be cool if we could put our heads together to figure this mystery out. I'm thinking all that would be needed is to find the code that generates the window and make it put sprites along the sides of the OUTSIDE rather than altering the code that puts sprites on the INSIDE of the window. Am I on the right track?

Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

Re: Sprites on outside of GUI windows
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 05:19:35 PM »
It looks like KQ1 does this by using DrawCel in a custom Window class... I'll see if I can get something working.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.