Author Topic: SCI Game Debug Modes  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Collector

SCI Game Debug Modes
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:23:33 AM »
I seem to remember a thread on the old Mega Tokyo board that was gathering a list of debug mode triggers fro the various games. I can remember a few of them, but many I have forgotten or never knew. What does anyone remember of them and does anyone know where such a list can be found?

Let's start a new list here.

Most SCI0 games - LSHIFT+RSHIFT+"-"
Leisure Suit Larry 3 - Type "ascot backdrop" and then move to a new screen
Hero's Quest - Type "razzle dazzle root beer"
Quest for Glory II - Type "Suck Blue Frog"

Some that I found through Google, but have yet to test:

Space Quest 6, Space Quest 6 (Demo), Gabriel Knight 2 - Create an empty "CLASSES" file in the game's directory. In the game press "?" to access the debug screen.

Police Quest 3 - Delete the "VERSION" file from the game's directory.

Police Quest 4 CD - Delete the "PATCHES\4.SCR" file from the game's directory. In the game press '?' to access the debug screen.

Quest For Glory 2 - Use the interpreter from sierra's 1990 EGA Christmas card, Shift+Shift+"-" debug.

King's Quest 5 - Use the interpreter from sierra's 1990 VGA Christmas card, Shift+Shift+"-" debug.

LSL6 Floppy - Extract 911.SCR and 911.HEP to the game's directory. The game will start with a "Where do you want to start?" dialog and the debug mode is activated. Press "?" and all the debug options appear.

Laura Bow 2 - Extract 10.SCR and 10.HEP to the game's directory

Eco Quest 2 - Extract the files 98.SCR and 98.HEP to the game's directory.

KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: SCI Game Debug Modes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
I have a copy of SQ5 somewhere with the debug mode active. There's also a very rare version of SQ4 with the debug mode active. It's very real but very very rare as it used to be on some BBS or something.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
I had Space Quest 6 when it came out. In theory I should still have it but when I moved house last year I couldn't find the actual CD. All I found was box with the manual and nothing else. Never actually finished that game. It didn't feel like the old SQ games.

"Creating an empty CLASSES file"...  that sounds quite obscure.

Apparently something similar exists for LSL7 (http://tawmis.com/onlinesierra/eggsandcheats.html):

Leisure Suit Larry VII:

Teleporting around...
Start Notepad.
Type nothing. Just do a

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
Doesn't work, at least not with version 1.01.

Edit, it does with "?", not the SCI0 SHIFT+SHIFT+"-"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:00:22 PM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:50:24 AM »
Looks like that LSL7 info originally came from Al Lowe's web site:

http://www.allowe.com/Larry/7teleport.htm

It makes sense that it should be consistent with SQ6 and GK2. Wonder why Al is saying something different? Perhaps a version at some point did work like that.

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:47:12 AM »
Perhaps a false memory? He was probably more involved with programming in earlier games that used the "-".
KQII Remake Pic

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.