Author Topic: First ever SCI Game Contest  (Read 29100 times)

Offline Cloudee1

First ever SCI Game Contest
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »
Hey gang, it's the start of a new year, and the start of our new home. I have installed an award mod allowing me to issue awards and trophies and rather than see this feature go to waste, I would like to announce the first ever SCI game competition.

The rules of the competition are simple,
  • Ends: January 31st
  • Rooms: minimum 1 original room
  • Characters: 1 original character
  • Theme: New Year's related

The rules call for only 1 original room, and one original character, therefore, you MAY borrow any additional graphics from any other source. As far as the New Year's theme, that can be anywhere from using characters like father time, the baby new year, or even having a quest to eat cabbage (old wive's tale about eating cabbage on New Year's and good luck) or even to catch the ball in Time Square as it drops. As long as it has something to do with New Year's.

Now let's get out there and jumpstart our community a little.

Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Eigen

Re: First ever SCI Game Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »
Nice idea! I'll try to come up with something.
Artificial Intelligence Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:52:09 PM »
You've got a month. I figure we'll run our competitions the same way everyone else does, the winner gets to "sponsor" the next competition deciding rules and whatnot. Likewise they will judge the entries of their sponsored game. So since I'll be judging this one I can't enter  ;)

I can only hope there is a little competition for you. I know our member count is pretty low now, so really two entries is a good turnout, but three, that would make our first competition a flaming success.

Since you've been in a couple of the old agi contests Eigen I'll leave you to yours, but to anyone else I would like to make some suggestions. Keep it small, a game with 150 rooms, you just aren't going to be able to finnish. A game with 3 rooms, more than adequate for these types of competitions. Don't get ate up with the graphics. I don't know anyone around here who's an artist and I wouldn't expect anyone to be, the point isn't to make a Sierra Quality game, but just to make something creative.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
AWESOME idea! I am going to go to the drawing board! This should be fun!

Happy New Years!

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »
So the good news is, the trophies have been completed. I must admit though, the second place trophy is really an edited version of one of the ags forum trophies, but it was too close to what I was going to draw so it became easier to steal it and change it than to redraw the same thing again. So whoever gets second place, sorry bout that.

Now all that is left to do is to get them to show up in our signatures. While I work on that, you guys work on your games.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:42:33 AM by Cloudee1 »

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 12:08:33 PM »
oooh...trophies  :o

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 06:36:13 PM »
Of course, what's a competition without reward. The trophies will become part of your signature, where the rest of the community can envy them with each post you make.

I have everything working as I want it to, and have added the three trophies up for grab to my own signature just for now, I'll give them out to the winners at the end of the contest.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:42:07 AM by Cloudee1 »

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
My game is coming a long nicely. SCIStudio did crash after 1 hours work I had done the other day, but I won't let a little frusteration keep me down  ;)

I take it you are the judge Cloudee1?

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:33:40 AM »
Glad to hear your working on it Doan. Gives me time to work on that pac man score of yours  ;)

Yeah, I'll be the judge of this one, then whoever wins will be the judge of  and also set the criteria for the next competition.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:57:39 AM »
Sounds good! Hopefully my game turns out as cool as it seems in my head.

lol! I hadn't played pac-man in so long, I forgot how fun it was!

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 02:36:07 AM »
Don't make it to ellaborate, you've only got a couple of weeks left. I've spent the last two days on a background for a game I'm not even thinking about working on for a long time, and it's still barely more than an outline  :P

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Just one more background to go! (3/4 done, 75%).

- story (95% done)
- sprites (100% done)
- animations (40% done)

Should be finishing up soon!

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »
Just about a week to go and the deadline will be up. There is still enough time to throw something together if you haven't started yet. No one has actually entered anything, so your chances of winning are actually quite good.

I encourage everyone to brush off the sci cobwebs and enter the New Year's competition.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 12:09:19 AM »
Rooms are complete!

Sprites are complete!

Almost all the work is done. Got only a few days left! Must hurry!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 05:58:08 PM by Doan Sephim »
Artificial Intelligence Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 12:42:30 AM »
 :o

Damnit Doan, you are going to scare off the competition.

Looks good. After you finish it up you can spend a little time trying to get that pac man trophy back.  ;D

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.