Author Topic: Visual AGI Picture Editor  (Read 15748 times)

Offline lance.ewing

Visual AGI Picture Editor
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »
sact at the scummvm forums posted a link to a version of Joakim Moller's Visual APE tool that I  have never seen before. It is a fully working AGI picture editor, and it has most of the features I intended to implement for the next Milestone of PICEDIT. Here is a direct link (grab it while you can):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3712820/Visual%20AGI%20Picture%20Editor%201.0.1407.2498.zip

I tried tracking this tool down a few months ago but couldn't find it anywhere. The home web page has disappeared, none of the other AGI sites seem to have it. But what I was expecting to find was a tool that wasn't as complete and polished as the above. This tool is just really amazing. It has draggable vertices, draggable fill points, a simplified tool set, a scrollbar for navigating within the picture that redraws the picture in real time as you scroll, all of which are things I was going to add for 1.3. I had no idea Joakim had got this far with his tool.

How many people remember seeing this version?

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: Visual AGI Picture Editor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
Dangit I missed this. Is this still available somewhere?
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
It's on the Wiki. I wish that I could get the source for it since it is in C#.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
Hmmm it's listed but the download is only for the sound editor. It only shows a screenshot from the sound editor as well.

http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?title=Visual_AGI_Picture_Editor

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
OK, that page was just a duplicate of the Visual AGI Sound editor that I was going to modify for the PIC editor, but I never got back to it. The AGI Wiki never as complete as the SCI Wiki. I had no help and I was trying to reconstruct it based on the the original from the Wayback. I finished adapting that page to the Visual Picture Editor and fixed the link. It can also be found in the IDE category - http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?title=Visual_AGI

I was fooling around with it a bit and found it to be the easiest vector picture resource I have tried, and that includes SCI Studio and Companion, too.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 01:05:52 AM »
Nice. Thanks for the work, man. I mean all of it. Putting those Wikis together and organizing all the old tools that would have been lost to time and even all the work you do on the installers and other utilities. Just fantastic. As a fellow avid collector and obsessor of Sierra development tools and all these kinds of things I really appreciate your work in giving them a home for a little while longer on the internet.

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:23:20 AM »
Well I wanted to preserve them. I doubt that there will ever be a thriving AGI community again, but want the resources to be available for anyone wanting to explore them.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Collector

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
I managed to track down Chris Cromer and he had the source to Visual AGI and gave it to me. I was a little surprised that it compiled without any tweaking after upgrading to VS2010.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:59:10 PM »
Fantastic! If only the old AGI and Mega-Tokyo forum databases were so lucky.

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 12:26:55 AM »
I am trying to modernize it. Somethings are done in a more straight forward way now. MenuStrips and ToolStrips have replaced menubars and toolbars. They allow much greater flexibility in the designer where you can treat individual buttons and menu items as discrete static objects instead of collections. This is turning out to be a more convoluted process than I had anticipated. I can also tell that they were just learning dotNET as they did some things in a needlessly complicated way. Some of the scripts are large enough that with their scripting style it is a bit of a pain to sort out. I want to make it more modular to make it easier to adapt to other things.

As I noted earlier, it is by far the easiest picture editor of any AGI or SCI IDE that I have found. I would like to adapt it to SCI if possible.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline sact

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »
Could you possibly put the source available for download please?

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »
As I noted earlier, it is by far the easiest picture editor of any AGI or SCI IDE that I have found. I would like to adapt it to SCI if possible.

I fully agree with that comment about how easy it is. I was amazed with it when I gave it a go back in 2011. I was imagining these same types of features for the next milestone of the Java PICEDIT tool, but I kept tying myself up in knots thinking about how to handle the interaction in an elegant way. Then I discovered that Joakim had already done it. He's done a brilliant job.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Offline troflip

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
Anyone have a download link for this visual agi thing?
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 04:09:01 AM »
If no-one else has put a link to it by then, I'll upload it to my www.agifans.com site by the end of the weekend, or sooner if I get a chance.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 05:18:40 AM »
Done. It was sooner rather than later: You can find it here:

http://www.agifans.com/files/

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.