Author Topic: New Template Game  (Read 18850 times)

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: New Template Game
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »
Keep in mind that the decompiled source that troflip provided does not represent the finished phase of the decompiler. There were a number of things missing, like Print windows with buttons. Good starting point I suppose, though.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 11:31:26 PM »
Oh that is a given, but I was trying to anticipate what else would be needed for a working 1.1 template game.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
What about the hep files? Are these automatically generated by the compiler or will the developer need to doing anything with them? Do they even have source files?

hep resources are just the part of the script resource that resides in the heap. It will be generated by the compiler along with the script resource.

I currently have a tab for them in SCI Companion, but I'll probably remove it. There should be a matching hep for every script, but it's nothing anyone developing a game should need to know about (and I wouldn't want people messing with things by deleting a hep but not a scr).
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 01:08:07 AM »
Understood. I was mostly thinking about if there is a decent decompiler it might make for a means to create patches for the bugs that Sierra never addressed. All of the patches for this era of games always paired the matching hep with the corresponding scr. If the compiler can regenerate a new hep for the scr I guess that is all that is needed for such purposes. Although, that does bring to mind a feature that might be nice to have. The ability to compile a single script and not have it packed into the game archive.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »
Oh that is a given, but I was trying to anticipate what else would be needed for a working 1.1 template game.

Sorry, I was actually referring to gumby's task of organizing the current decompiled SQ5 source.

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »
Keep in mind that the decompiled source that troflip provided does not represent the finished phase of the decompiler. There were a number of things missing, like Print windows with buttons. Good starting point I suppose, though.

True, there may be some future iterations of compiles that would clear up some things, but right now there are a number of scripts that will remain unchanged from now and then. Those can be addresses now.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »
Yeah. I was just worried about the current decompiled scripts containing inaccuracies...

Offline troflip

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
I'm not sure there's anything useful you can do with the scripts now in terms of a template game. Still too many bugs.

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
Scripts like wander, rev, dcicon, etc.

Comparing them to our original sci0 template game there is not much difference. In the event of those scripts and several like them. I doubt there will be much difference between now and when you call the decompilation complete. Those are the types of scripts I am looking at.

What's even cooler though is extending the functionality of the current template game right now using some of these decompiled scripts. Take for example Osc, or short for oscillate. I added the script to the template game and named it osc just like it is in sq5 and drew a quick view.
Code: [Select]
(use "osc")

and then for the views init
Code: [Select]
(testViewOsc:init()setCycle(Osc))

and sure enough the view oscillates... goes from first cel to last cel and then backwards to first cel and on and on.

chase seems to pretty much be the same as follow with the exception that once the chasing actor reaches the distance, it stops... at least from my current experimentation. Not sure what the benefit of chase is to follow....

I can't wait to throw a couple of more into the games to see what they do.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:25:53 PM by Cloudee1 »
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »
Haha, that's pretty cool cloudee  :D

But just as a warning you may encounter still some pretty bad bugs in the decompiled source. For instance look at CT::doit in the Cycle script. There's a send call there that doesn't have any selector (I know what's wrong, and I believe I can fix it).

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.