Author Topic: agi 256 tools  (Read 9508 times)

Offline Cloudee1

agi 256 tools
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
I have added a zip file to the tools page that includes the 256 color agi tools I can find. The view editor is pretty cool but I can't seem to find one for actually creating the 256 color pic resources. Do any of you guys know anything about how a 256 color pic resource is made. I'm assuming I need Lance here for this one, but if anybody knows, I would like to finish off the 256 tool package.

Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Collector

Re: agi 256 tools
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »
Too bad that Lance has not been around for a while. Perhaps he has lost interest.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
From what I remember, it was a command line tool that converted PCX or GIF (can't remember which, maybe both) images into AGI256 background resources. I may still have it somewhere. I kept all that stuff. Most of it, anyway. I don't know if I ever figured out how to draw priority lines.

EDIT: I have it. It's called SAVEPIC.EXE. I can't link to it, though, because the new space I have on my sierrahelp.com subdomain won't allow hotlinking of ZIP files. Even if linked to from an HTML file in the same folder. I'll have to Sendspace it I guess.

I also have another one called SHOWPIC, which I assume previews AGI256 backgrounds. Both 16-bit DOS applications, I think.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u0e5s0
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:18:09 PM by MusicallyInspired »
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
That's alright Brandon, bothe of those command line tools are in the 256 color zip file I added to the tools page. I just assumed there was something else I'm missing because like you said, not sure how to add priority lines with what is in there
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
Too bad that they are 16-bit programs. No source I take it.

the new space I have on my sierrahelp.com subdomain won't allow hotlinking of ZIP files. Even if linked to from an HTML file in the same folder.
Sorry, but I has having a lot of abandonware sites hotlinking my files. What you can do is to create an HTML page with a link to the file and direct people to that page. I can also setup an exemption for http://sciprogramming.com.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:48:25 AM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Like I said:

Even if linked to from an HTML file in the same folder.

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »
I misunderstood what you meant by that. I would have thought that the anti-hotlinking would allow all subdomains. Your subdomain now has permission for linking files. Just let me know of any issues you are having with your subdomain.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
Thanks, dude. :)

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
Sorry to dredge up this long buried post, but does anyone know if there were any palette tools for AGI256? I could swear I remember it being possible to make a Picture or View in AGI256 with a custom palette. My experiments just lead to a picture with best-guess colours in a standard VGA palette which sucks (in the case of using viewedit). With SAVEPIC this picture doesn't even come out right (and the colours are even worse).

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
I have some really vague memory of it too, but all I have are the three files, SAVEPIC, SHOWPIC256 and VEAGI256.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with SAVEPIC. The picture comes out shrunken, doubled, and with a negative-ed screwed up palette. I wonder if I'm using the wrong format of PCX? I'm using PSP5 to save the image but it will only save version 0 (black and white), 2 (16 colours), or 5 (256 colours). Maybe there's an in between version it's looking for.

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »
I never played around with the 256 color tools. The Wiki should have a how to of Brian's that I rescued from the Wayback.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
I know this is old, but I've figured it out. Ironically enough, the information is all there on the AGI wiki. To use SAVEPIC you need to utilize the included template.pcx file. There's a white outlined 160x168 square in the center of the image and that's where your picture needs to go. Strange they chose to do it that way, but anyway.

I haven't tried making priority lines or anything, but I was wondering if the AGIPAL tool would help change AGI256 palettes. On the one hand it's pretty neat that AGI can have 256 colours, but it's not really usable if you're stuck to a default palette. I was considering "upgrading" SQ1 images in Deluxe Paint much like how Indy3, Loom, and Monkey Island 1 were. But you can't really take advantage of all the possibilities with such a limited palette.

It's probably not possible, but does anyone still have the AGIPAL tools? They can alter the 16-colour AGI palette. It's listed on the AGI wiki but the download is not included. I don't seem to have it in my backups either.

EDIT: Never mind, I've found them and uploaded them to the wiki.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:03:54 PM by MusicallyInspired »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.