Author Topic: Ideas to create Keypad from SQ1  (Read 4117 times)

Offline jtyler125

Ideas to create Keypad from SQ1
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
Ok my first Sierra game was King's Quest I...so I am really old...but like every other vidiot out there SQ I was my favorite...now that I am old and boring I have always wanted to create an educational game better than ECO Quest....

So...maybe a math game could use something like the key pad in SQ I, I know it is probably agi...but any suggestions????

Thanks,
JT

PS.  Since I obviously stink at code writing, I thought I should go for champion on Donkey Kong.

Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

Offline Cloudee1

Re: Ideas to create Keypad from SQ1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 02:48:50 AM »
I've got two daughters and neither are old enough to read yet so your game is a little advanced for what I would make, but I've been considering trying to make some educational entertainment.

For the most part mine would be one of those games where there is say a sea scene and you click on different things to trigger animations and events. Really just to get them associated with using the mouse and clicking.

I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.

As far as a keypad, that all depends on what you want it to do. Like a full blown calculator that appears onscreen, that would take some work.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 11:43:29 AM »
Very good to hear that another guy with kids actually hads time to do stuff like this.  Believe it or not I downloaded the SCIVGA remake of KQ3 and my 2 year old loves clicking the mouse to make him walk different places...she calls it "guy walking on the grass" it is one of her excuses to not take a nap..."Daddy can I play guy walking on the grass?"  That gets me every time, plus I get to play KQ3.

I personally was working on a Tinkerbell game because she loves Tinkerbell...so that is an option...I was also starting to think of Princesses...not sure if that would work for your kids...if you have boys.

Back to the keypad...I know a calculator would be way over my head and I am not sure that it is what I would want to invest my time in...my wife might file for a divorce...but I was thinking more of once they enter a room...the text pops up and asks a question and then the keypad is there for them to enter their answer.

Also I guess the dialogue boxes could be used for multiple choice, now that I think of it but if I was going for that SQI feel ... I have dreams of making a sort of CIA meets the movie Speed/Die Hard where a mad math guy is planning to blow up the city and has bombs planted all over the city and you need to diffuse them by entering different answers to math questions....

I know...some people use SCI studio to "retard" games...I am just retarded.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:36:14 AM »
Just so you know, that remake of KQ3 isn't SCI it's AGS.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »
I know...but she likes it, what can I say....

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »
Hi jtyler125,

I wrote a piece of code (and documentation, even) many years ago that does this. If I could get your e-mail address, I'll send it to you.

Best regards,

Lars

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
Hi jtyler125,

I wrote a piece of code (and documentation, even) many years ago that does this. If I could get your e-mail address, I'll send it to you.

Best regards,

Lars
Lars, why email it. That might look good in the how to section so everyone can learn from your programming.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Yeah, post it for everyone to see!
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:55:23 AM »
Yeah, post it for everyone to see!

I would. The problem is, it's a package consisting of several source files and a pdf with the documentation. Of course, I could put up a .zip as an attachment, perhaps with the most important code in the message body or something.
Also, I seem to have misplaced the views I used for testing when I wrote the code originally (which is four years ago);
I am not going to make those myself (I am a coder, not a graphic artist).

Lars

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 04:08:11 AM »
Whatever is the easiest for you. I just want tto have it at my fingertips. As one of the few people here who understand sci pretty thoroughly, any scraps you want to pass along to us peons are gladly welcome.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »
I have uploaded the package in the SCI How-To section.
(jtyler125: This package is different from the one I sent to you earlier. Use this one instead, as a number of bugs have been fixed)

Lars

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 07:00:49 PM »
Oh sure email me the crappy code...thanks.

All kidding aside thanks Lars...make sure to put //Lars next to this code when using it.

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:54:06 AM »
All kidding aside thanks Lars...make sure to put //Lars next to this code when using it.

As far as giving Lars credit in the comments, since I noticed you wanted to give me credit for something once too jt, maybe a line in the credits at the end of the game like Programming assistance and then just list the people you want to name. I don't know specifically how Lars feels about it, but that's my two cents, I don't expect or really want any kind of specific credit like you keep suggesting, but how you give credit I guess is entirely up to you.

By the way thanks Lars, I downloaded and tried to look at some of the source with notepad, but the code was compressed so I haven't had time to explore it much yet with a different editor, but I plan to. I did look over your pdf documentation and it's infinately more complex than anything I would have ever thought of writing. An excellent example to learn from in a number of different ways. Thanks. If you have any more of these treasures buried in your hard drive collecting virtual dust feel free to pull them out anytime.

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.