Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here :)  (Read 11253 times)

Offline fir3w0rx

Hi, I'm new here :)
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
Hey guys, I'd really like to one day make my own adventure game. I've been doing some research and I've learned that AGI programming is for older games like Police Quest I, Leisure Suit Larry EGA, and SCI is for games like Police Quest II, Larry II and so on... is that correct?

I've downloaded every tool that I can from this site and also tools that are linked from this site. I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest DosBox, I'm hoping that the tools I need will work on this.

If somebody can point me in the right direction it'll be much appreciated. Thanx guys :)

Offline Collector

Re: Hi, I'm new here :)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »
Your impression is correct. A good place to start is with the tutorials, both here or on the Wiki. You might want to look at some of the fan games that include the source.

You can also get help here if you get stuck. Keep in mind that even though AGI is probably easier, you will find more help with SCI.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:08:45 PM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Your impression is correct. A good place to start is with the tutorials, both here or on the Wiki. You might want to look at some of the fan games that include the source.

You can also get help here if you get stuck. Keep in mind that even though AGI is probably easier, you will find more help with SCI.

I'm aware that I'm not gonna need all the available tools here, but will the tools that I WILL need work on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit? I'm only asking because I've just installed WinAGI v1.1.22 and it tells me that "WinAGI has not been tested on this version of Windows. You may encounter problems". SCICompanion seems to be ok though, except that I can't figure out how to open/play the sounds. Thanx for the quick reply btw.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
I'm running win 7 ultimate 64 bit also and scistudio and companion work just fine for me. I'm currently working on an SCI game and as Collector said, there are people that can troubleshoot a lot of the issues for that

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
I'm running win 7 ultimate 64 bit also and scistudio and companion work just fine for me. I'm currently working on an SCI game and as Collector said, there are people that can troubleshoot a lot of the issues for that
Cool, thanx.

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
If my goal is to learn how to make adventure games in EGA graphics using only the pc-speaker for sounds and music (much like Leisure Suit Larry 1 EGA version), should I read about AGI and use AGI tools, or would it be better to learn and use SCI tools?

Also, speaking of AGI, is it worth learning about it? If so, can someone please link me to some AGI tutorials? Thanks.

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
As I posted earlier, you will find more 'help with SCI than AGI. A lot of the AGI resources on the web have been lost, including the Wiki. The AGI and SCI communities used to coexist on the old MegaTokyo board, but split apart after that board closed. The AGI community ended up on agigames.com, which had resources, a forum and Wiki, but since has closed. Cloudee made room here for some of the AGI tools, AGI fan games and added a couple of forums here for AGI, but the people that really know AGI are long gone. The SCI community and resources have endured.

SCI0 has EGA graphics and can use PC speaker sound. It has lots of tutorials, resources and better documentation.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 07:56:28 AM »
As I posted earlier, you will find more 'help with SCI than AGI. A lot of the AGI resources on the web have been lost, including the Wiki. The AGI and SCI communities used to coexist on the old MegaTokyo board, but split apart after that board closed. The AGI community ended up on agigames.com, which had resources, a forum and Wiki, but since has closed. Cloudee made room here for some of the AGI tools, AGI fan games and added a couple of forums here for AGI, but the people that really know AGI are long gone. The SCI community and resources have endured.

SCI0 has EGA graphics and can use PC speaker sound. It has lots of tutorials, resources and better documentation.
So I guess I'll just use SCI tools for everything except for when I need to get resources from an AGI game, in which case I'll have to use WinAGI to extract them.

Sorry to be a pain in the back side with all these questions! :p

Offline gumby

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
I found working with sound (specifically converting existing midis to sound resources) to be tricky at times.  You should be able to find plenty of related posts here, but let us know if you get stuck and we can help you out  :)
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
I found working with sound (specifically converting existing midis to sound resources) to be tricky at times.  You should be able to find plenty of related posts here, but let us know if you get stuck and we can help you out  :)
Alright thanx, I appreciate it :)

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
You can also use the Sierra Resource Viewer extract resources form both AGI and SCI games.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »
You can also use the Sierra Resource Viewer extract resources form both AGI and SCI games.
I can open SCI resources with no problems, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to open AGI resources with this tool ???

Offline Collector

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Not all versions work with AGI. Download the 2nd link that includes the command line tools.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline fir3w0rx

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »
Not all versions work with AGI. Download the 2nd link that includes the command line tools.
Thanx, it works! You guys are awesome, I just wish I knew as much, or even close to what you guys know as I have so many ideas.

Offline Collector

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
Give yourself some time. Many of us have been messing with SCI for years.
KQII Remake Pic

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.