Author Topic: KQ2 SCI Remake - Mini competition  (Read 29943 times)

Offline MusicallyInspired

Re: KQ2 SCI Remake - Mini competition
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »
Yes, the picture resources (as well as view resources, mostly) are all numbered the same as the AGI game. Remember, most of the game is programmed. You can play through the game right up to the top of the Quartz Tower. There's a bug with the lion's animation that I hadn't nailed down so you can't go beyond that point. But while a lot of the animations, random encounters, etc aren't programmed in yet, the game is basically almost completable. So all the picture resources need to stay as they are. I decided when I started the project that I would put all the original AGI graphics in as placeholders, complete all or most of the programming, then make it all look pretty. Though, I was revamping art here and there as I went along, obviously. The AGI art with dithered graphics I definitely do NOT want to keep. They were placeholders and I just changed the colours to dithered for fun.

As for save games for KQ2AGI, the King's Quest Collection (3-disc one) came with save games for every game in the collection for pretty much every part of each game. Here are the save games for KQ2AGI. They are in 4 different folders. Simply extract these folders to your KQ2 directory and when you go to load a game, change the destination folder to one of the save game folders. I'll attach them here. These will not work in ScummVM, only with the original interpreter in DOSBox.

As for the SCI screens, the ones that are in the game now are completed. Save for the ones I just posted earlier which anyone can take and complete or start anew.

I do want to add one other thing. I kind of wanted the swamp screens to look darker and gloomier than the AGI originals where it's just teal-coloured water to a bright sunny sky with a couple of dead trees lying about. I really wanted to vamp up the atmosphere there. As well as Dracula's Castle. Not being very good at art, I didn't know how best to tackle that. I can kind of see it in my head, but getting it on the screen is another matter entirely. Anyway, just little tidbits that was going through my brain...
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »
I am with you on the swamp area. Could take a couple of things from the swamp on KQ4 and possibly TCB and give them darker, more sickly colors and throw in a few dead trees. I'll take a crack at this if no one else has after I am done with the crystal tower land. Ill leave it to someone else to tackle Dracula's castle.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline gumby

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
The AGI art with dithered graphics I definitely do NOT want to keep. They were placeholders and I just changed the colours to dithered for fun.

Okay, great.  That's what I figured, but I didn't want to assume anything.  Then I believe that I've accurately marked up the maps correctly as to which rooms are completed.  I do like the idea of adding the room numbers to the maps as well, I'll do this next.
In the Great Underground Empire (Zork port in development)
Winter Break 2012 Rope Prop Competition

Offline gumby

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
I've modified & re-uploaded all the map pictures, now annotated with resource #s to aid in identification - see original posts.

Offline gumby

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
Okay, let's get this thing kicked off.  For those who are participating, please indicate the resource #(s) that you are interested in submitting.

We've got a whole month, which may be too much time but hopefully it will spur some last minute entries toward the end ;)

EDIT: If anyone needs any of the exported pics as a starting point just let me know and I can provide them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:29:18 PM by gumby »

Offline gumby

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
I've started working on pic #40 for this competition.  I'm going the 're-imagined' route and starting completely over from scratch, no resources borrowed from other SCI games.

Offline Collector

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
As indicated, I am doing the tower in the other realm
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Can't wait to see them, guys!

Offline gumby

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »
We are rapidly coming up on the end of the month.  Just a few days left to put the finishing touches on our room pics!

Offline gumby

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Here's my submission (room 40).  Really challenging and I think I may have agonized a bit too much over it.  But overall I'm pleased with the result :).

Offline Collector

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
Well I posted the PNGs earlier, but here they are again. I had hoped that I could do the top of the stairs, too, but ran out of time.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
Great work both of you! True to KQ1SCI's style! Can't wait to see more if there are any.

Offline gumby

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »
I don't think that we had any other participants.  Collector, here's your trophy :).

Cloudee or Doan - when you get a chance can you add this to Collector's award page?

Offline Collector

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »
I guess Cloudee nor Doan have been around, lately.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline gumby

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
No, Doan is around.  Doan can you help us out?

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.