Author Topic: WinAGI is Back  (Read 34826 times)

Offline AGKorson

Re: WinAGI is Back
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
I will start a new thread with the latest beta release that addresses the save issue.

And, I would be surprised if your template game intentionally contains errors, anyway.
Don't be! The template games are the old AGI Studio templates. I haven't done any work on them. I was hoping to get some help from this site to go through those template games and clean them up, and include comments to help new AGI programmers.

The specific warnings you mention are there to warn the programmer that messing with some of the reserved variables and flags can cause problems. It doesn't mean don't do it- just be careful. And if you don't want them, you can disable individual warnings, or all warnings by changing error detection level to Low.

Offline obscurenforeign

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »
That's funny. I was under the impression the template game was unique to WinAGI. It's interesting though, it doesn't suffer from the volume bug! (It's in the QT AGI Studio template game...)

And I swear those warnings don't appear on Windows XP. Might have to check what settings I've got.

Offline Collector

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
Chris Cromer had a couple of updated template games on his old agigames.com site.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
Chris Cromer had a couple of updated template games on his old agigames.com site.

That might be where I got them from. I don't even remember. Regardless, I thought it might be a good idea to go through them to see if there are any improvements that can be made. Probably not me though. I haven't done much actual AGI game writing; I've been focusing on the tool. There are a lot of folks with more experience actually writing a game than me.

Offline Collector

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
If we could get them back into the community.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline sact

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
From AGI game development point of view, it's good that there's still development applications coming out, but it's also shame to limit them to Windows only, maybe release to Linux as well someday, sources or snap/flatpak? Lance Ewing's Java PICEDIT was step into the right direction, OS independency. Anyway, I have a virtual machine for Windows XP and AGI stuff, thus managed to install the 1.2.2 BETA. Logic editor still lacks options to properly set the colours and theming, very QT AGI Studio's like, bright white background logic editor with no way to change it is no no. Regardless whatever goodies it might include, if logic editor of IDE fails, that's falling back to good old AGI Studio 1.38BETA.

Offline Collector

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
Of course there is always WINE.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
Doesn't work too well with SCI Companion though. The one time I tested something with an agi tool, it worked fine.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 12:40:38 AM »
From AGI game development point of view, it's good that there's still development applications coming out, but it's also shame to limit them to Windows only, maybe release to Linux as well someday, sources or snap/flatpak? Lance Ewing's Java PICEDIT was step into the right direction, OS independency. Anyway, I have a virtual machine for Windows XP and AGI stuff, thus managed to install the 1.2.2 BETA. Logic editor still lacks options to properly set the colours and theming, very QT AGI Studio's like, bright white background logic editor with no way to change it is no no. Regardless whatever goodies it might include, if logic editor of IDE fails, that's falling back to good old AGI Studio 1.38BETA.
Hi there. I'm aware that several folks would like to see tools available on different platforms. But until I stabilize this last version of WinAGI and then get some time to explore other development platforms, I'm afraid this is the best I can do for now. I have not intentionally "limited" it to Windows, nor do I feel any "shame" in what WinAGI has become.

No one has ever asked for ability to change background color of logic/text editors. Regardless, I certainly don't think it is "improper" to not include such, nor is it a "failure" of the IDE.

The additional features included in WinAGI are (IMHO) tremendously valuable in terms of making AGI game creation easier and faster. If you want to pass on all those benefits because of one single feature, that's certainly your choice.

FWIW, it took me less than five minutes to add a logic/text editor background color setting. The next release will have that feature.

Offline sact

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2018, 05:01:46 AM »
Yes, as a user of marginal operating system I've had good time to adapt what virtual machines and Wine are for. Alternative releases, for other operating systems would require some sort Github-approach and more manpower.

However all these years and not a single request regarding the Logic editor-theming, guess I'm guilty as well on that one, as it has bugged me since the day I saw the very first version of WinAGI aeons ago.

Ok, while we are at it, PICTURE-creation, bound by laws of AGI. People have used PICEDIT whatnot since dawn of time. But from creation point of view, how about offering a normal bitmap creation-, editing-mode, basically user could draw, paint, as one pleases, no limitations and when the picture is saved, then do bitmap to AGI conversion? Yes still doing pictures with PSP7 and Noptec Vector.

Changing between resources, AGI Studio had it nailed, easy switching from LOGIC to VIEWS from selecting the proper resource from own selection, WinAGI shows every type of resource combined, want to switch easily from VIEW-perspective from LOGICs? Nope, scroll all the way down to find the VIEW-branch. Yes most likely people love that feature as well, gotten used to it during the years, thus maybe optional AGI Studio-detox mode?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:39:19 AM by sact »

Offline klownstein

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
I don't check the forums frequently, but noticed Andrew was back and wanted to thank him for his WinAGI tool.  For me, it has been extremely helpful and I want to say, "Thanks!" and I look forward to its further refinements.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2018, 02:13:45 AM »
Hi there klownstein! It's good to hear from you. And I'm glad to hear your positive comments. I've got the next version mostly done. I have been working on the help file, and documenting all the information I have gleaned from decompiling AGI. There has been a TON of new things I've learned that I think will be helpful to those looking for nostalgia, as well as those looking to make AGI games more easily. I don't have an ETA yet; I try to work on it a little bit each night. Hopefully very soon.

thx again for the comments!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.