Author Topic: A question about .rol files  (Read 4816 times)

Offline claudehuggins

A question about .rol files
« on: April 05, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
I like to pretend I know about coding, but I'll admit I know sweet F.A. when it comes to Adlib sound...

I have a few .rol files I made. I have some utilities I used while making AGI games that could convert .rol to a resource file usable in AGI.
I was wondering if a similar tool exists for SCI? I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything.

I realize SCI deals with sound much, much differently than AGI, so I'll explain a bit more what I'm trying to do
Basically, the task I want to achieve is playing the .rol file when the ADL driver is used to play my audio resource in SCI, specifically 1.1 if it's possible.

If it's not possible, I have other ways to make my music. I'm just wondering if this is a possible route. :)

A while ago, at a block party I found myself socially trapped at, I thought to myself: I need a t-shirt that says, "I'd rather be programming".

Offline Kawa

Re: A question about .rol files
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
Convert the ROL file to MIDI, import that and assign its channels to AdLib? The actual timbres I understand would be in a separate BNK file, and I suppose that'd parallel the contents of a particular patch resource. #3 if I read this right, but I've no idea what would go in there.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
I have three ROL files created with the Adlib Visual Composer of tunes I composed 25 years ago that I would be happy to donate to a SCI game if someone wanted to use them. I thought they weren't too bad back when I composed them. At the moment they're just sitting there doing nothing, and they've been doing that for 25 years!

Offline Kawa

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
I'll take 'em, if only just to listen to them.

Offline claudehuggins

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
Convert the ROL file to MIDI, import that and assign its channels to AdLib? The actual timbres I understand would be in a separate BNK file, and I suppose that'd parallel the contents of a particular patch resource. #3 if I read this right, but I've no idea what would go in there.
Hmm. I had hoped I would be able to use AdLib's Visual Composer to compose my music to ensure all the tracks sound exactly the way I want before putting them in the game. MIDI doesn't really give you a good "preview" of what it's actually gonna sound like in-game :/ I've had plenty of luck with importing MIDI directly to SCICompanion, so it's not a real inconvenience for me to trial-and-error it until I decide it sounds good. I'm more experienced with MIDI anyway :P
Thank you for your help! :D

I have three ROL files created with the Adlib Visual Composer of tunes I composed 25 years ago that I would be happy to donate to a SCI game if someone wanted to use them. I thought they weren't too bad back when I composed them. At the moment they're just sitting there doing nothing, and they've been doing that for 25 years!

Now you've made me curious...lol
A while ago, at a block party I found myself socially trapped at, I thought to myself: I need a t-shirt that says, "I'd rather be programming".

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 05:25:18 PM »
It sounds like you've got Visual Composer. Load this one up and see what you think.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
Okay, I was holding back on attaching some of the other ROL files until there was some feedback on the first. For those that have heard them, they tend to say that that first one is the best. But personally it isn't my favourite. I quite like the last part of the ROL file that I've named MOVING in the attachment below. The start isn't anything great, but even though I composed this tune, the ending of this one still affects me. There is so much going on in every voice.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 23 queries.