Author Topic: Automatic Ego Motion Problem (SCI0)  (Read 12129 times)

Offline WD-40

Re: Automatic Ego Motion Problem (SCI0)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
I, for one, recommend getting used to Sierra Script. It's just better.

I have always used Sierra script, just because it's always been the default in my installations :)

I finally solved the problem of the ego not stopping for the first keypress during a setMotion. Something in SetUpEgo() was causing the problem, I'm too lazy to pinpoint exactly what it is. My updated grabber script is tiny and dare I say even better than sierras. :o

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:21:14 PM by WD-40 »

Offline troflip

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 03:46:47 PM »
I have always used Sierra script, just because it's always been the default in my installations :)

I'm confused... all the code you posted is SCI Studio script. But when you create a new project, SCI Companion should default to Sierra script.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline WD-40

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
I'm confused... all the code you posted is SCI Studio script. But when you create a new project, SCI Companion should default to Sierra script.

Well darn, I have been learning SCI Studio script all this time. Is there anything wrong with that? are there any advantages other than being "a hardcore sierra programmer"?

I find both scripting languages ugly, but I find Sierra script even uglier than SCI studio script.  :(

Would it be so wrong for these scripts to have "x = 1" rather than "= x 1"? My brain crashes every time I see this backwards style.  :P

Offline Kawa

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 02:32:42 AM »
It's not ugly, it's Lisp.

Offline troflip

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:23:25 PM »
Would it be so wrong for these scripts to have "x = 1" rather than "= x 1"? My brain crashes every time I see this backwards style.  :P

It's called prefix notation, and like Kawa said, LISP uses it. It feels weird to you because you're not used to it.

It's also fairly easy to write a parser for it for the compiler, so I'm guessing maybe that's why Sierra used it?

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
It's easier if you read it a different way in your head. "= x 1" can be read "assign x the value of '1'". That's how I wrapped my head around it anyway.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline WD-40

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 01:24:44 AM »
Not that anyone cares, but I nailed down exactly what was causing the ego to ignore my keyboard input to stop.

When calling a setMotion the ego will walk just like you pressed a key to make him/her/it walk. However, when asked to stop with keyboard input the ego will ignore your first key press.

When calling a setMotion on the ego it's also necessary to notify it that it's moving in that direction: "(User:prevDir(RIGHT))". This way when you press a key to stop, it will know to stop with a single key press.

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
I care! Always nice to see someone solve their problems for posterity. There were so many cases of this on the mega-tokyo boards that are now simply lost to time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:19:50 PM by MusicallyInspired »

Offline troflip

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »
When calling a setMotion on the ego it's also necessary to notify it that it's moving in that direction: "(User:prevDir(RIGHT))". This way when you press a key to stop, it will know to stop with a single key press.

Another option is to disable input until they've completed the entrance animation.

Offline WD-40

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »

Another option is to disable input until they've completed the entrance animation.

I'm not talking about an entrance animation. In some games the ego will enter a room and walk clear across that room and into the next room without any keyboard input. You can stop the ego in its tracks at anytime to explore that room by taking control with the keyboard. To make the ego respond normally to keyboard control you have to tell it what its direction is with "(User:prevDir(RIGHT))". I hope that clears things up.

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 04:20:27 PM »
Yes, that's how AGI egos always behaved from screen to screen.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.