Author Topic: Space Quest III French translation ?  (Read 13651 times)

Offline OmerMor

Re: Space Quest III French translation ?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
That was quick:
Logo Pending - SCI versions and naming

I love your posts Kawa!

Offline Kawa

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 06:36:43 PM »
And I love you, random citizen!

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 04:08:54 AM »
Hello everyone!

I've almost finished Space Quest III in french.
But, there are three things to tune :

1) During operation of the navigation map. If I click on SET COURSE "even though I am already on site". I do not have the message COURSE ALREADY ACHIEVED. On DOSBox, it flies by too quickly! On ScummVM, it is impossible to see. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZCnlJZKVDeK6MP9ERLPr4F3LrXgbA5ig7k

2) During the introduction, Roger Wilco said: "WHERE AM I ?" This is a audio file (sound.100). Is there a way to record audio in another language? I had no idea how that could come to be.

3) During the robot fight between Elmo and Roger, if you press on the on N.
You will see several messages with pictures :
https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZUnlJZEd0bXCC6hyYw2sHi0U5s6Qsmwp7k
This corresponds with the text.999 and script.120.
https://i.ibb.co/qjY0fyH/2021-11-29-161245.png
https://i.ibb.co/f9WNj6b/2021-11-29-161224.png
I dont know the meaning of : %s\n[Collection of size %d], %s\n[List of size %d] and %s\n[Set of size %d].
Can you help me make sense of these sentences?

Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 04:13:14 AM by Threepwang »

Offline ZvikaZ

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 06:45:45 AM »
Congratulations!
Great news.

Did you manage to do everything with SCICompanion? (you had some problems with it in the beginning, if I remember correctly)

Regarding your questions:
1. Do you see that difference also in standard English SQ3 in ScummVM compared to DosBOX? If so, please open a bug at https://bugs.scummvm.org/newticket.
2. It's indeed possible. I managed to make Roger say it in Hebrew, thanks to the help of the guys in this forum. Read the question and answer: http://sciprogramming.com/community/index.php?topic=1922.msg13797#msg13797
3. Nice finding. It's internal stuff used by Sierra during development of the game. You can safely ignore it.

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2021, 08:00:54 AM »
Hi ZvikaZ !

-Yes, I did everything with SCICompanion.
For the VOCAB, I assigned a new font with upper case orders only. Because in French, a computerized order in capital letters, is not necessarily accentuated. Example: get ladder / prendre échelle / PRENDRE ECHELLE. This trick allowed me not to lose compatibility with DOSBox.

-Yes, the bug appears in version 1.018.
I reported the problem to ScummVM.bugs.
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13114#ticket

-I would have liked to translate the text.999 and the script.120, but hey, too bad, that's okay.

-For the sound.100 file, I will read the discussion. I hope it's not too technical...  ???

Thank you for your support :D

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 05:04:47 AM »
ScummVM Bugs response was:

This is the result of a script change that's in later versions which prevents something confusing but the change is a little hacky.
To restate the problem: In 1.018, on the navigation screen (room 19) when setting a course to the sector you're already in, the original displays the text "COURSE ALREADY ACHIEVED" in the upper right corner *very briefly* as the screen transitions back to the main control panel (room 17). In ScummVM that text never appears.
courseScript:changeState(1) displays the text with kDisplay and then immediately changes rooms, so this all happens on the same game cycle and there's no opportunity for ScummVM to update the screen. The reason it briefly appears in DOS is that kDisplay immediately writes to the screen so you get a glimpse before the room transition blows everything away. This was never the right thing for a script to do, but it might have looked okay at the time on a very slow DOS machine.
The behavior they were fixing from earlier versions was "COURSE ALREADY ACHIEVED" displaying for three seconds during which all the buttons looked enabled but you couldn't do anything. Nothing worked during those three seconds and then things worked again with no visual cues.
It looks to me like there's room to patch this script to introduce a formal delay so that the text appears for a short but reasonable moment before the room transition. I'll give that a shot later. There are a lot of versions of this game and this is a minor thing so if we can do a universal patch then great and if it's more complicated than that, well, at least we'll know what's going on. =)

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 02:12:10 AM »
ScummVM Bugs next response:

WOW... that's no small bug at all, congratulations you just fixed over 100 input commands!
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/commit/1de4c13dfb744631f13fc47bd27d6396525a98c9
I'm happy to temporarily hijack this ticket because this is way more interesting than the navigation message =)
That workaround shouldn't interfere with your French translation but let me know if it does and I'll help. (Discord is a good place for that if you're available.) Either way, once you've finished your translation, if you want to add a detection entry so that ScummVM recognizes it as French that will absolutely prevent any conflict since I've limited the workaround to English with vocab "scout" at 1.018's location.

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2021, 10:55:15 AM »
SCI: Add workaround for SQ3 1.018 vocab bugs: SQ3 version 1.018 has a messy vocab problem. Sierra added the vocab entry "scout" to this version at group id 0x953 and then apparently never recompiled all the scripts. 30 scripts still reference the old vocab group ids from 0x953 to 0x990 in their Said strings. All of these commands are off by one and linked to wrong words. For example, looking at the escape pod in the first room with "look pod" no longer works but "look chute" does. We fix this by patching the Said strings; any group ids within the broken range are incremented by one. Four scripts correctly reference vocabs in the broken range, such as the one that added "scout", and so they must not be patched. Only version 1.018 has this problem but it's also the most common as it's the final English DOS version and included in the SQ collections.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2021, 04:55:32 PM »
Jesus Christ that's some error.

I just checked. That's the version I have, and decompilations are also affected. Which means that one blog post of mine is. Wow.

Edit: I just decompiled the Amiga version on a whim and it made even less sense at first glance. Instead of <in,through/craft,chute,pane[<escape] it says <in,through/craft,leech,pane[<escape]. Which should of course be "pod".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 04:59:08 PM by Kawa »

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2021, 09:44:47 PM »
I've attached a patch for DOSBox users that moves 'scout' from group id 0x953 to 0x7. Because I added scout to a 1.0U vocab.000 file everything else falls back into place. The 1.018 scripts main, 42, 44 and 70 needed to be recompiled to update ids.

I'll do some more testing, but everything seems to work! Since scout is not at 0x953 the new SCUMMVM fix will not be applied when this patch is used.

Edit: I've updated this patch to include the script.019 patch and added it to the SQ3 SCIWIKI page. Please report any issues.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 01:16:47 PM by doomlazer »

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2021, 12:46:03 AM »
Yes, I uncover a hidden issue.  In my French translation, I replaced the misplaced words in the VOCAB so that each sentence in the game can be viewed by the player. "I tested line by line and got 99% success. But, I'm worried! With the fix the order of VOCAB will change again and I will have to redo everything?! I'm lost.  :-\

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »
According to Sluicebox's comment you shouldn't need to do anything on your end, Threepwang! You can let him know when the translation is released and they will add something in SCUMMVM to ensure there are no compatibility issues!

The patch I posted can be ignored if you've already solved the problem on your end. Sorry, that wasn't clear. 

Here are a few rooms you might double check; 42,44,70 and in Main. The words below were affected differently than the others:

main.sc:
pass
belt
prize

rm70.sc:
scout
skull

rm42.sc:
toe
mog
sign

rm44.sc:
sign

If the above and SEE PODS work, then you are probably 100%!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:54:51 AM by doomlazer »

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2021, 04:30:29 AM »
It an excellent reminder ! Thank for the words below were affected. In any case, I'll do those tests. This was encouraging  :)

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2021, 12:58:25 AM »
1) During operation of the navigation map. If I click on SET COURSE "even though I am already on site". I do not have the message COURSE ALREADY ACHIEVED. On DOSBox, it flies by too quickly! On ScummVM, it is impossible to see. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZCnlJZKVDeK6MP9ERLPr4F3LrXgbA5ig7k

I put together a solution for this that I believe is close to what Sierra might have intended.

In rm19.sc I modified state 1 in the couseScript changeState method:
Code: [Select]
(if (== temp0 {COURSE ALREADY ACHIEVED})
;(scanBut state: 0)
;(global2 newRoom: 17)
(scanBut state: 0 cel: 2 draw:)
(courseBut state: 0 cel: 1 draw:)
(returnBut state: 0 cel: 1 draw:)
(= state 5)
)

Then added a state 6:
Code: [Select]
(6
(global2 newRoom: 17)
)

These changes leave "COURSE ALREADY ACHIEVED" displayed for 3 seconds while also turning the buttons blue to indicate that they are disabled, then it switches to rm17 which is the previous menu.

I sent a direct message to Threepwang with the French version of this patch, but I've also attached an English version below.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:04:26 AM by doomlazer »

Offline doomlazer

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2021, 11:43:27 AM »
I've attached a patch for DOSBox users that moves 'scout' from group id 0x953 to 0x7. Because I added scout to a 1.0U vocab.000 file everything else falls back into place.

Turns out it was a bad idea to use the 1.0U vocab.000 as a base. There are other minor changes to group ids that introduce new issues if it's used in 1.018.

The correct solution would be to use the 1.018 vocab and edit the group ids 953-9xx by hand. Only I'm not sure that's possible. Anyone know of a tool that lets you edit vocab ids?

Edit: Just edit the words and move them to the correct id, duh! Fixed version attached below.

Edit 2022/02/24: Threepwang discovered another bug in version 1.018. The ScummSoft office announcements are never made because of changes to Script::cue. The zip below has been updated to include patch script.702
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 01:26:03 PM by doomlazer »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.