Author Topic: WinAGI Version 2.1.4 Is Available  (Read 8156 times)

Offline EricOakford

Re: WinAGI Version 2.1.3 Is Available
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
Here's the decompilation for the Christmas Card.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
And here are decompilations for two of the demo packs. Yeah, AGI is not my thing.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline HeyItsKyo

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
I was fiddling with this a bit, and I noticed that in the Picture Editor, the button for Absolute Line does not function properly. You can click it and it will show Absolute Line selected but the tool will continue to be whatever it was previously. I'm on Windows 7, for what it's worth.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »
I was fiddling with this a bit, and I noticed that in the Picture Editor, the button for Absolute Line does not function properly. You can click it and it will show Absolute Line selected but the tool will continue to be whatever it was previously. I'm on Windows 7, for what it's worth.

Buggers. The toolbar handler uses the Key property of the pressed button to set the draw mode; I don't know how, but the Key for the absolute line button got deleted, so the button just gets ignored now. I have no idea what I did that caused that, because I haven't worked on that code in a very long time. It's an easy fix. I will try to post an update shortly, since the picture editor is not very functional without it. While it's not very efficient, you could use the trapezoid option to draw a temporary set of lines, then edit the coordinates to be the line you actually want. (use Ctrl+Ins to add new coordinates as needed).

If you find any other major bugs like this, please let me know.

FWIW, I'm working in C# now, so other than fixes for things that are severely broken, there won't be any more updates to version 2. Maybe by some time this summer, I'll be ready to release a more modern version... with a lot of new bugs... :)

thx,

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »
Maybe by some time this summer, I'll be ready to release a more modern version... with a lot of new bugs... :)

You mean modern bugs...  8)

Offline HeyItsKyo

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 10:03:22 PM »
Buggers. The toolbar handler uses the Key property of the pressed button to set the draw mode; I don't know how, but the Key for the absolute line button got deleted, so the button just gets ignored now. I have no idea what I did that caused that, because I haven't worked on that code in a very long time. It's an easy fix. I will try to post an update shortly, since the picture editor is not very functional without it. While it's not very efficient, you could use the trapezoid option to draw a temporary set of lines, then edit the coordinates to be the line you actually want. (use Ctrl+Ins to add new coordinates as needed).

FWIW, I'm working in C# now, so other than fixes for things that are severely broken, there won't be any more updates to version 2. Maybe by some time this summer, I'll be ready to release a more modern version... with a lot of new bugs... :)

thx,

No problem! I'll be sure to share if I find anything else like that in my fiddlings. I'll be looking forward to both the Pic Editor fix and whatever more you got in store later down the line, makes me happy to see this program still being maintained after so long.  :D

Offline pierrelapin

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 04:38:44 PM »
I am a brand new member.
I have just installed the last version of WINAGI and have got some problems with it.
I have to say I am not a user of WIN AGI, I prefer the old AGI STUDIO (138b).
Why ?
I am not a creator of new AGI adventure, but I am using these tools to localize famous AGI adventure in French.
In fact not a direct translation, I rewrite the script in a point&click way: Action, Look, Swim, Jump, Use.
I have finished Black Cauldron and King Quest 1 in 2017, started King Quest 2... in stand by since 2017.

And I always had problems with WINAGI to import and compile existent game: ressources not all recognized, many warnings and error, etc.
AGI STUDIO was fastest and more reliable for this purpose.
But I need WIN AGI to export all the logic script with AGI message object in the form mxx for print function instead of plain text. AGI STUDIO generates only plain text.
It was possible to generate scripts with message variables instead of plain text for print function in my old WINAGI version (1.1.22).
But with this new one, I obtain only plain text messages in print function... so bad for translation and logic approach of AGI script !!!
No option for changing this behavior.
Another problem is the management of comments: where is the classic /* ... */ comment... so useful in a rewrite purpose (and in general). The new block of comment is a very strange choice.

And I continue to have many problems for loading some old AGI original games (DOS version only): some script not recognized, or view, or sound...

So bad, because the new WINAGI seems to be far better... with international extended character recognized directly (it works for SCUMM and i have modified NAGI to recognize it), and so many useful features.
But how can I use variable messages (mxx) into print function ? Can we expect the back of classic comments ? And maybe some correction of bugs for a 100% full original games import ?

It is so exciting to see an AGI application alive with a 2021 new version.

My plan: adapt KQ2, KQ3, GoldRush  (maybe other ones) in a french point&click version (I can adapt for english version if somebody are interested by these, and with help of true english fan).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:42:54 PM by pierrelapin »

Offline AGKorson

Re: WinAGI Version 2.1.4 Is Available
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 01:11:06 AM »

thx,

No problem! I'll be sure to share if I find anything else like that in my fiddlings. I'll be looking forward to both the Pic Editor fix and whatever more you got in store later down the line, makes me happy to see this program still being maintained after so long.  :D
I posted an updated install file. Link here: http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/images/3/37/WinAGI_2_1_4.zip

This takes care of the picture editor bug. Thanks for your help in finding this.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 03:11:12 AM »
Hello Pierre,

Welcome to our AGI community. It's a great place to discuss AGI related issues, and you can always count on the users here to help answer any questions you might have.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with WinAGI. All I can say is that I've done extensive testing on it over the last ten years or so, and I have successfully decompiled and recompiled every original Sierra DOS game with no errors. But there were a lot of different versions of each game released, and it's possible you have a version that I don't have that does cause errors when loaded in WinAGI. I don't think that's too likely though.

And yes, you do see a  lot of warnings when you decompile/recompile original Sierra games, but those are all there because of bugs or bad coding practices used in the original games. WinAGI is able to do deep analysis of the resources and logic code and exposes those flaws that other AGI tools gloss over or ignore. If you don't like the warnings, you can disable them by setting the error detection level to low. But you miss out on one of the best features of WinAGI (in my opinion) because it will help you find those subtle errors and bugs that are otherwise really hard to detect.

Regarding unrecognized resources, many of the original Sierra games had bits of old code, old resources and invalid directory pointers that got left in the game, even though they are never accessed. WinAGI is able to identify those 'orphaned' invalid resources so they can be corrected if doing a recompile. The errors are not caused by WinAGI- on the contrary, WinAGI points out what other tools miss.

I am not sure I understand your comment about message variables. The terms 'message' and 'variable' have distinct meaning in AGI syntax, so 'message variables' isn't a thing (translation error I assume?) I *think* you are referring to a decompiling option to hide inline display of messages as text strings; so when decompiled, you want to see this:
Code: [Select]
  if (said("look"))
    {
    print(m1);
    }
instead of this:
  if (said("look"))
    {
    print("You see nothing of interest.");
    }
If that's the case, then you are correct; WinAGI currently doesn't offer that as a decompile option. But it took me less than 10 minutes to add it. Unfortunately, I saw this post literally one minute AFTER I just posted a new version (2.1.4)!!! So I'll have to make another version, including installer, assuming this is the fix you want. If so, I can get that out in the next couple days.

Support for delimited comments (/* ... */) was removed intentionally from WinAGI several years ago. There were two reasons for this. First, the original syntax used by Sierra did not have this feature; keeping the syntax as close to the original for nostalgia purposes is something that many in the AGI fan community feel very strongly about. Secondly, removing them greatly simplified the logic coding functions, and also provided huge performance gains when using syntax highlighting in large source files.  It's possible that support for them will be added back in when I move to C#, but most likely not. Time will tell...

Your comment about logics, views and sounds not being recognized, if true, certainly is a concern. But as I said, I have never had any issues like that in years of testing with original DOS versions of AGI games.

I encourage you to start another thread that includes the specific issues you are seeing. If you give me details, I may be able to tell you if it really is a bug that needs addressing, or if you are perhaps not using WinAGI correctly.

Offline pierrelapin

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 03:36:06 AM »
And yes, you do see a  lot of warnings when you decompile/recompile original Sierra games, but those are all there because of bugs or bad coding practices used in the original games. WinAGI is able to do deep analysis of the resources and logic code and exposes those flaws that other AGI tools gloss over or ignore. If you don't like the warnings, you can disable them by setting the error detection level to low. But you miss out on one of the best features of WinAGI (in my opinion) because it will help you find those subtle errors and bugs that are otherwise really hard to detect.

I understand that but I can obtain errors when compiling original games... but certainly cause of bad game version as you explained after in your answer.

I am not sure I understand your comment about message variables. The terms 'message' and 'variable' have distinct meaning in AGI syntax, so 'message variables' isn't a thing (translation error I assume?) I *think* you are referring to a decompiling option to hide inline display of messages as text strings; so when decompiled, you want to see this:
  if (said("look"))
    {
    print(m1);
    }
instead of this:
  if (said("look"))
    {
    print("You see nothing of interest.");
    }
If that's the case, then you are correct; WinAGI currently doesn't offer that as a decompile option. But it took me less than 10 minutes to add it. Unfortunately, I saw this post literally one minute AFTER I just posted a new version (2.1.4)!!! So I'll have to make another version, including installer, assuming this is the fix you want. If so, I can get that out in the next couple days.

You understand very well... it is exactly that, but badly explained, sorry !
It will be a giant step for the world if you can add again this option... thanks !

Support for delimited comments (/* ... */) was removed intentionally from WinAGI several years ago. There were two reasons for this. First, the original syntax used by Sierra did not have this feature; keeping the syntax as close to the original for nostalgia purposes is something that many in the AGI fan community feel very strongly about. Secondly, removing them greatly simplified the logic coding functions, and also provided huge performance gains when using syntax highlighting in large source files.  It's possible that support for them will be added back in when I move to C#, but most likely not. Time will tell...
So bad you cannot enable this feature as an option (even if this disables the syntax highlighting).
For example my BC and KQ1 remake contain a lot of this kind of comments in source code... not easy to recompile them with WINAGI to correct some bugs.

Your comment about logics, views and sounds not being recognized, if true, certainly is a concern. But as I said, I have never had any issues like that in years of testing with original DOS versions of AGI games.

I encourage you to start another thread that includes the specific issues you are seeing. If you give me details, I may be able to tell you if it really is a bug that needs addressing, or if you are perhaps not using WinAGI correctly.
I will do more tests and send you all the details about problems with target game version.
It seems that many version of the same game exist because I had no errors with another download of Space Quest 1 version for example (!)

Thanks for your work and your passion for old things!

Links for my both Point&Clicks Remakes (in French):
Kinq Quest 1 and The Black Cauldron (somewhere in the list)
I will put this link in the right section after that, but here it make sense in the discussion.

PS: I made point&Click remakes with a specific goal in mind => my son, six year old, was not very excited by reading and I decided to use sierra adventures as a tool for learning purpose. It has worked. And now I will redo the same with his sister in some years. But old games are very good without the text input, so I will continue because I have always lovee Sierra Games.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:19:00 AM by pierrelapin »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.