Author Topic: Why don't we make a sci tutorial chapter 3?  (Read 4445 times)

Offline jtyler125

Why don't we make a sci tutorial chapter 3?
« on: January 13, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
I would hate to think that I am the only guy that is benefitting from these questions...why don't we try to put together a volume 3 tutorial for the sci community.  I can ask the dumb questions and you guys can share the code...and then we can package it just like Brian did and it will be another resource.

I know that that is what this site is all about...but sometimes it is tedious reading through everyone's personal comments in between and also we will edit and try the material in the tutorials and make sure it works completely and is "pasteable" for other dumb newbies like me.

Feel free to tell me to shut-up????

Let me know your thoughts,
JT

Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

Offline Cloudee1

Re: Why don't we make a sci tutorial chapter 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »
Well but that's kind of like what the how to section is. Places to find examples of more things. When it is all said and done, I may split off a big chunk of your time thread and make it it's own how to. Any chit chat in that section should really be about expanding the code the how to talks about, explaining it better, or fixing bugs  :-[ when they show up. But even most of that will get trimmed back off when the initial code gets updated. The SCI syntax while mostly filled with questions will get alot of chit chat in them and that's fine because the good questions and resulting examples that express something new or unseen will then become a part of the how to section.

The how to is kind of the next tutorial. The next one I would like to see made though would fix the bugs of the first one, add in the second and third one and expand on what's already there. One single all inclusive tutorial. But I certainly don't want to do it, that would be alot of work.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline jtyler125

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:07:39 PM »
I think that it would also be really helpful to post fully functional scripts with these actions in them...then people can cut and paste and have a working script right away???

What do yo think?
JT
Life is getting better all the time.
Groundhog Day Competition New Year's Competition

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:12:30 AM »
I think that is some of what the compititions are about. Open source games that will give people scripts to help them code. For the last entry (the AI compitition) I tried to add a lot of notes in the code for the room so that if people want to understand how I did a certain part of the game, they can find it out pretty easy).

But I agree, it is very helpful to have both an explanation and code in replies to questions, and I will try to do more of that in answer to questions (if I even know the answer!)

Offline Nostalgic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:13:53 AM »
I think that is some of what the compititions are about. Open source games that will give people scripts to help them code.

This is actually a great service. I checked out your games and I appreciate that you release the source as you do. I'm not sure why people don't, to be honest with you. (I see this all the time in the interactive fiction community as well.) I did have a question for you and that is:

If I come across some interesting bits in your source text, would you be adverse to me using some (slightly modified) versions in the tutorial I'm writing?

I wouldn't be using your graphics or anything like that. But I would like to make a more substantial tutorial that utilizes many aspects of the SCI language. Ideally it would be nice to write a tutorial that takes the user through the creation of a small, but fully workable game. What I'd like to do, ultimately, is have the reader draw one -- maybe two -- simple rooms. The other rooms would then be uploaded from provided Pic resources. However, the key to this tutorial would be adding scriptual elements.

Offline Doan Sephim

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:50:39 AM »
Nostalgic, by all means, if there is anything in a script I had written that you find useful, copy it, paste it, modify it, put it in a tutorial, do whatever you want with it. I am in no way opposed to anyone who wants to write a more comprehensive tutorial...in fact I for one would commend you for doing so.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.