Author Topic: Possible to Archive the Mega-Tokyo Forums  (Read 5857 times)

Offline OmerMor

Possible to Archive the Mega-Tokyo Forums
« on: December 20, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »
Hi,
congrats & tnx for this new home...
I'd like to ask (if it's technically possible) to archive the old MT forum in this new place.
There were many great threads there which would be a shame to see go extinct.
Searchable archive of the old forums would be a great feature of this new home, and one that will sure ease the transition of most participants.

Omer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:14:48 PM by Cloudee1 »

Offline Cloudee1

Re: Plea to archive Mega-Tokyo Forums
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:17 PM »
As for the SCI forums, I encourage you to scour the forums and duplicate some of the most important gems here, some of them to be expounded on in the tutorials section, others as development tools, and so many that are duplicate topics, or game development announces that never came to fruition (I know I have at least three of those now), when is sci vga coming out, scistudio crash, and how do I do...

Rather than archive these type of topics, a few new threads here can replace so many pages of the archive. For instance the soundbox thread in the development tools replaces almost every post about getting and using soundbox and using sounds that appear in the MT forum, in one clear resource.

I would like to see the sci forums archived, but moreso for posterity sake than as a constant reference, and the guy who collects interpreters is the one to trust with posterity. I have an idea for keeping this and Chris's agi site tied closely together, it needs to be hashed out a little better and talked over with Chris, but his having the "official records" of MT shouldn't really slow our progress or access to them. DF has already said that he plans to package it up and give the files to Chris. But those pages represent the stumbling first steps of fan-made sci programming. The last half dozen pages still show record of Chris' work on a template game and release of sci studio 2.0, old stuff that doesn't really help us today. It's great for the sake of history but where they ended is where we begin. Then only Brian knew what was going on, granted now it is only Troflip, but I can stumble through a lot and Eigan has more than proven himself knowledgeable. Besides Chris and Lars, if Lars joins; our beginnings have a much stronger foundation to grow on than was available then.

So while it would be nice, it isn't wholly necesary when you actually look at what all is in there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:27:26 PM by Cloudee1 »
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Chris Cromer

Re: Possible to Archive the Mega-Tokyo Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
I have an idea for keeping this and Chris's agi site tied closely together, it needs to be hashed out a little better and talked over with Chris, but his having the "official records" of MT shouldn't really slow our progress or access to them.
I am up for any suggestions for keeping these 2 community's close. I do know there are a few people besides myself that wanted them to stay together, but if we can work something else out hopefully it will be fine. Just hit me up with an im, although if you had a messenger like MSN, AIM, YIM it would be alot easier to talk. If so just let me know the account in private through im.
Chris Cromer

It's all fun and games until someone get's hurt then it's just fun. ;)

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:30:59 PM »
Basicly, it revolves around pulling an rss feed from the main news boards of each others sites assuming new games, demos, tools or whatever finds it's way into the news section, or whichever is the most interesting. For instance on my index page a board titled something like News from the agi front, then clicking on that opens up the newsreader page. Displaying the last 15 abbreviated posts or whatever in that board which act as links to each others sites. We wouldn't be pulling all the posts or all the threads, but the ones that keep us up to date with each other as far as major happenings.

That was my initial idea anyway. I don't think it would be overly hard but it would definately take some modifications to the initial and any future themes which is the main drawback.

Offline Chris Cromer

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:39:18 PM »
I already have something like that now, the agi and sci news pulls from the forums database into a main page news type thing. I would just need to expand upon that.
Chris Cromer

It's all fun and games until someone get's hurt then it's just fun. ;)

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:55:31 PM »
Excellent, I figured something along those lines would be more than sufficient to keep our communities linked and up to date of each other, I called us all cousins before, but I guess really we'd be like sister communities.

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 05:12:44 AM »
Alright, I was thinking about having the rss feed act like a forum page on my site but that seemed like a lot of work just for them to need to go to your site anyway to view beyond the title or an abbrev. version of the post. So I figured why not just send them there at the first click.

maybe a simple rss feed with one channel that could be used to show those few variables in the forum index. recent post title, author, time of post, total forum posts, total forum responses. Right now I'm using some random variables just to fill in the spaces so it looks about right without being entirely accurate.

What does everybody think, the featured link the way it is in the forum index or are there bigger steps that we need to take to keep the two communities in contact with each other.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.