Author Topic: SCI0, SCI1 command-line tools to extract resources?  (Read 350 times)

Offline deckarep

SCI0, SCI1 command-line tools to extract resources?
« on: January 30, 2024, 06:57:48 PM »
Hello,

I'm aware of a lot of development tools that are GUI and Windows-based. I'm on a Mac, so I'm partially screwed although I know I can spin up a Windows virtual-machine to use such tools.

My question is, do any command-line tools exists (newer ones) that can reliably extract SCI-based resources with the appropriate meta-data intact? What I'm specifically looking for as an example is a tool that can extract background PIC resources and name them appropriately. For a VIEW, it would be more involved; a tool that can extract the View into a modern image format like .png (with the correct file-name) but also extract the meta-data into some format where the meta-data describes the pattern of the view: the loop number, the cell width/size, whether it's used as a mirror or not.

I suppose I have two options on the table:
   1.) use SCICompanion and just do an extract-all but to my knowledge this won't provide the meta-data that I need, to also understand the layout of the views. Pics are easy, because they're just static backgrounds with the same dimensions (to my understanding).

2.) My other option is to just bite the bullet and build it or hook into the appropriate code with the ScummVM project which I'm also willing to do.

So far I'm aware of: SCICompanion, SCIStudio, the original DOS executables created by Sierra floating around, some open-source projects out there none of which I was able to get working (for the open-source tools).

I just wanted to see if this already existed before I go down this path since I was quite sure something already existed in this realm...maybe not.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

-deckarep

Offline lskovlun

Re: SCI0, SCI1 command-line tools to extract resources?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 12:55:13 AM »
There's the SV command line tools, but they are Windows only. They run under Wine (I've used them that way myself). They are probably the most comprehensive as far as metadata is concerned. Unfortunately, no source (the source code for SV was lost, I presume that goes for the CLI tools as well?).
http://sci.sierrahelp.com/Files/ResourceTools/SCIViewer(CLI).zip

Offline Kawa

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 03:27:23 AM »
Considering the backgrounds archive, I can confirm everything lskovlun said about SV-CLI.

Offline deckarep

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 12:50:54 PM »
Sweet, if it works in Wine there's a good chance I can use it. In the worst case, I don't mind spinning up a Windows VM but :groan: :groan:...

Thanks for the suggestion!

-deckarep

Offline mnicolella

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 01:02:58 PM »
Also there's a lot of official interpreter source code, plus scummvm, to use as reference for re-writing resource extraction tools. Most of the formats are very simple.

Offline deckarep

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 01:07:12 PM »
As I mentioned, I was willing to go down that route...but I just now tried the suggestion and I got exactly what I was looking for.

Can confirm that running the CLI tools from Wine on MacOS worked!

Here's the info I wanted:

Code: [Select]
<Loop>
                <Cel Width="1" Height="1" X="0" Y="0" Key="255" />
                <Cel Width="23" Height="15" X="0" Y="9" Key="255" />
                <Cel Width="23" Height="16" X="0" Y="9" Key="255" />
                <Cel Width="24" Height="16" X="0" Y="9" Key="255" />
                <Cel Width="22" Height="16" X="1" Y="9" Key="255" />
</Loop>

So, no need to re-invent the wheel, at least for now.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.