Author Topic: View size limits  (Read 166 times)

Offline robbo007

View size limits
« on: March 27, 2024, 06:08:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
What type of size restrictions / limits does a view have? I'm seeing some strange things happening. I have a 320x45 loop in my view that has 4 cels of animation. The total size of the view with other loops is: 50921 bytes. Its displayed like this. (See attachment)

If I cut cel into two and create another loop with the second half it works fine.

Regards,

Offline Kawa

Re: View size limits
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 06:15:52 PM »
Resource size limit is some multiple of two I think. I forget the specifics.

I'd say the problem might be the dithering pattern in your cel. Unless 16-color cels are encoded in four bits per pixel (thus two pixels per byte), dithering patterns will not compress well with run-length encoding. But what do I know? I'm more about 256-color SCI.

Offline robbo007

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 07:06:14 PM »
ok thanks. As always I have worked out a work around. But I was curious to know what was going on so I can avoid creating more work for myself in the future. Al Lowe was right when he said.; "No one know how much work really go into these games..."

Yeah if I ever finish this debacle I might have to go to the next level, 256 colours hahah.. Shit I would have to buy a VGA card for my IBM.... haha.

BTW: Did SCI1 make it to Amiga and Atari ST?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:36:12 PM by robbo007 »

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 10:21:27 PM »
We had the SQ4 box sitting on a counter for a few weeḱs until we had the 486 to make it work. I had seen SQ4 on a friend's machine. It was very impressive at the time.

Offline troflip

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 11:04:04 AM »
Resource size limit is some multiple of two I think. I forget the specifics.

I'd say the problem might be the dithering pattern in your cel. Unless 16-color cels are encoded in four bits per pixel (thus two pixels per byte), dithering patterns will not compress well with run-length encoding. But what do I know? I'm more about 256-color SCI.

You are correct - dithering will totally break compression in SCI0 views.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.