Author Topic: Larry Scott's "new version" aka SCI01.  (Read 463 times)

Offline lskovlun

Larry Scott's "new version" aka SCI01.
« on: October 22, 2023, 01:50:16 PM »
I seem to remember that there was a thread about Corey Cole drawing a blank when it came to SCI01, and I'm not finding it. Well, I managed to find this quote from him on the matter:
Major thanks are due co Larry Scott, who created a new version of the SCI interpreter which removed many of our space restrictions from individual "rooms". This game would probably not have been possible (or at least would have been far more painful to create) without his improvements!
But that's precisely what SCI01 is (or at least was, until ScummVM changed the versioning). Interestingly, it's never mentioned in the changelogs. It would seem to have been significant enough.

Offline Kawa

Re: Larry Scott's "new version" aka SCI01.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 03:44:38 PM »
I don't think I follow you on where SCI01 comes in. According to the list on the ScummVM wiki, QFG2 was interpreter version 1.000.041 to .087, so what I would call SCI 1.0, coinciding with King's Quest V. So it seems to me Corey is referring to SCI1 here, not SCI01.

Not saying you're wrong somewhere, somehow, I just don't think I follow.

(This is unrelated to my own earlier research on the subject of nomenclature a few years back.)

Online Collector

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 06:33:15 PM »
In response to someone claiming that QfG2 was SCI1, Cory Cole in a post on Facebook said:

"Quest for Glory II definitely did *not* use the SCI1 interpreter that Sierra used for King's Quest V and the other 256-color EGA games. That interpreter did not have a parser, so could not handle typed input at all. If they internally called QfG2's interpreter 'SCI1', it was just a PR thing - It was not the same interpreter.

"As to *why* QfG2 used the parser and EGA graphics, it's because all of Sierra's other games were running late. Sierra needed a major release for Christmas 1990, and we were the sacrificial lamb. (I think it was partially because I did not fight as hard as Mark Crowe - The choice was between QfG2 and SQ3 as to which game would ship early, but with 16-color graphics.)"
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 02:59:39 AM »
Guess that "it's unlikely" on my blog post can be amended to "certainly not", then X3

It may not have been SCI1, as Cole claims, but it certainly was SCI 1.000, as the games themselves say.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.