Author Topic: Soundbox ~ Sound Resource Editor  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Cloudee1

Soundbox ~ Sound Resource Editor
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:34:38 AM »
If you would like to add sounds to your SCI games, and frankly who doesn't, then you are going to need SoundBox created by Ravi Iyengar.

SoundBox has two main purposes in SCI game development. The first is that it allows you to import almost any midi sounds and convert them into sound resources. The second is that it allows you to configure the proper instrument channels for varying soundcards. Supposedly you can also set loop points even though thinking on it now, I am not sure how to program loop points or moving around them so I have never had to use this functionality, but it's there.

* You will need to download one of two copies of SoundBox, and that is determined by whether or not your computer has  MFC70.DLL. If you are like me you don't, so you will need to download the statically linked binary, otherwise you can download the standard 1.0 version.

Once you have downloaded the appropriate copy, if you get it wrong the first time, it's no big deal the files are pretty small so just download the other one instead. Installing it is a matter of unzipping the file and placing the contents inside the plugin folder of scistudio. I am not sure yet how scicompanion plans to handle soundbox, but the program can be run seperate from scistudio by simply clicking on soundbox.exe in the approriate folder, or by creating a shortcut to the file and placing it wherever you want. When opened from within scistudio, it automatically extracts a sound resource to your games source folder for editing.

After importing a midi or making changes to channel properties getting the sound into your game is as simple as saving the file as a sound resource and adding it via the add resource option in either scistudio or scicompanion.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 01:34:49 AM by Cloudee1 »

Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.