Author Topic: How did SCI render in CGA?  (Read 12282 times)

Offline OmerMor

Re: How did SCI render in CGA?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 01:57:08 AM »
In SQ4, at the SQ1 bar, when you talk to the monochrome boys, their dialogue is affected by the game version/driver combo you use: VGA / EGA / Amiga (32 Colors).
You can read about it here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-quest-iv-roger-wilco-and-the-time-rippers/trivia (under "Version differences")

And listen the different audio clips here:
http://spacequest.wikia.com/wiki/Monochrome_Boys#Dialogue

I don't remember what their response is when playing using the CGA driver, but I think I tried it once and the text changes to reflect this. Can't check this week as I'm away from my computer.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
The Monochrome Boys are full of shit. They themselves have way more than 16 shades of more than just gray.

Edit: going by my copies, the VGA disk version has "look at me I'm in VGA" and "256 colors for one wimp". The CD version adds 16 colors EGA... and strangely 32 colors EGA, and a completely different spoken line -- "What's this? You'd have to be a blitherin' idiot to waste all that color on one little bitmapped wimp, har har." -- and the "look at me I'm in 32 colors" line has no sync. My EGA disk version meanwhile has hardcoded lines (like the VGA version) for 16 color EGA and 256 color VGA.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:43:34 AM by Kawa »

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
The 32-colours was probably for the Amiga version but left in the resources for DOS/Win. I seem to remember there being a condition for Hercules too, but I could be wrong about that.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »
32 colors isn't EGA though. If anything its 16-color palette could be selected from a larger 64.

And for the record, the lines in the PC-98 version are 256/VGA and 16/EGA.

Edit: confirmed same for French and German.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:53:14 AM by Kawa »

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »
32 colours EGA? I didn't remember that.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »
Interestingly, if you're running the game in VGA mode removing the plug makes that screen EGA. If you're running with the EGA640 dithered driver it makes the screen CGA.

Interesting... I don't see anywhere that it uses that info in the decompile. Fuse.sc only ever references pic 512, never 513 (the CGA one). The color depth is checked at the beginning of the game, but not used for that.

(It is used for some palette cycling somewhere, and then also this line: "The following sequence will require you to clean the crest floor but since you have only an EGA system, it will be difficult for you to determine if the floor is clean due to the limited number of colors available to your system. We therefore offer you the option to skip or play this sequence. If you skip it, you will still receive the same amount of points.")
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
"If you skip it, you will still receive the same amount of points."
No fair!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.