Author Topic: The Best AGI fan-made games?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline lance.ewing

The Best AGI fan-made games?
« on: January 15, 2024, 09:22:51 AM »
I was "away" from the AGI community during the boom years when most of the AGI fan-made games were released, and tbh, I haven't really caught up on which ones were the best of these. I've seen Enclosure mentioned as an excellent example. Are there others that people would recommend me testing with AGILE? I'm thinking mainly of those that were complete games and didn't rely on customisations to the interpreter (such as AGI mouse & the 256 colour mod). For those who did play them, what was your top 5?

Offline Collector

Re: The Best AGI fan-made games?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 07:25:15 PM »
I would have to go through them again, but the vast majority of them were just demos or joke games. "V: The Graphical Adventure" looked promising, but never got past the initial demo. Again, "Operation RECON" may have been a reasonable game but only released a demo. The best known fan AGI games were probably "Space Quest 0: Replicated" and "Space Quest: The Lost Chapter". Klownstein and The Jolly Roger finally completed "Gourd of the Beans, The : An Unplanned Adventure" here back in '15. Andrew Baker's "Voodoo Girl- Queen of the Darned" is probably one of the better ones. In fact, Cluodee had started converting it to SCI0.

There were a few fan made series, such as Eigen Lenk's "Al Pond" games, Robin Gravel's Naturette games, James Dover's "Tex McPhilip" games. Give me a little time to go through the games and I might find a few more completed games.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 02:23:49 PM »
Okay, thanks. I appreciate that. That gives me a few to look at already.

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 08:56:40 PM »
I have been trying to go through these, but found a reference to one from the original AGI Wiki that I cannot track down a copy of, "The Tales of Boromir". If anyone has a copy I would love to put it on the Wiki.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 08:03:04 AM »
The Time Quest demo I still think is really great.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 12:09:55 PM »
I will include Time Quest on the list then.

As an aside, has anyone considered making an AGI demake of SQ3? That could be an interesting project. I feel like certain bits of the conversion could be automated.

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 06:16:55 AM »
I have not heard of anyone proposing a demake of the game.

I have started to go through the Wiki entries for the fan games. I have a list of them to summarize and link to the games that I am updating. http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php/Fan_AGI_Release_List_(Sortable)
KQII Remake Pic

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:18:40 AM »
I have not heard of anyone proposing a demake of the game.

I am tempted to try this out at some point. That reminds me, has anyone tried out the 3D version of SQ3 that was released last year by TurboChimp? I have it in my mental list to try out at some point. Interested to know if anyone has tried it yet and what they thought of it.

I have started to go through the Wiki entries for the fan games. I have a list of them to summarize and link to the games that I am updating. http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php/Fan_AGI_Release_List_(Sortable)

I can't see anything on that page yet. Do I need to log in?

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 12:27:41 PM »
The closing parentheses is part of url. The board clipped it.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Collector

KQII Remake Pic

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 11:10:15 AM »
Yeah, that works now, thanks.

"Star Commander: The Escape" looks like it might be decently big.

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 12:42:21 PM »
I'd like to note that the third Tex McPhilip game actually was completed and released. I was able to download it here. For that matter, newer versions of Goodman were released here (note the version labeled 4.0T; it's more suited for developers!) I even reported these releases to ScummVM, so they'll work on that just fine.

For the sake of preservation, I've attached the games in question.

Finally, I've been working on doing AGI3 remasters of some of the fan games. You already know about SQ:TLC, for example. I've also discovered that the real reason SQ0 doesn't work on the original interpreter is because the game is so inefficiently coded!
What I've been doing for the AGI3 remasters is designating 220-239 for local flags/variables, and 240-255 for dynamic flags/variables (which are automatically cleared, thanks to a special logic that is executed on room change), similarly to the original Sierra games. I can understand why the original AGI template (on which these games are based) didn't implement this trick; it wasn't well-known at the time.
For that matter, I've been trimming each room down so that redundant code has been moved into new dynamic logics. While SQ:TLC had barely any room for dynamic logics, SQ0 has much more space available.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Collector

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2024, 04:56:56 PM »
Do you have an account for the AGI Wiki?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 10:55:36 AM »
Do you have an account for the AGI Wiki?

No, I don't.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 03:30:05 PM »
I have noticed that in general, most of the original AGI games set a game ID within the LOGIC code (I think MH1 might be the only exception?), and most of the fan made AGI games do not set a game ID. I'm not yet aware of one that does. This is a shame really. It would be nice if they all had a well known AGI compatible game ID.

It appears that AGI game IDs have a max length of 7 chars, not that any original game had an ID that long. In practice though, a max of 6 probably makes more sense, because the interpreter adds "SG" on to the end when creating a saved game file.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.