Author Topic: Rare SCI Games  (Read 15635 times)

Offline Threepwang

Re: Rare SCI Games
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2023, 10:02:59 AM »
I really searched everywhere and found nothing. I even looked at the floppy screenshots on Ebay. If you have a Facebook account, it's a great idea, this version is rare, but it exists.

Offline Collector

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2023, 08:40:10 PM »
I may have located it. I am trying to get images of the disks. It does have the right date, but the disk labels say game version 1.1, not 1.10. Looks like it is the Sierra Discovery Series release of the game.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Collector

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 09:45:03 PM »
The version in question is the Sierra Discovery Series release. I got two copies from different sources. Attached is from disk images that I concatenated the resource file from across all four of the diskettes. I normally would not post an official game here, but someone may be able to see if the game should be classified as an SCI2 game or an SCI1.1 in spite of the interpreter reporting an SCI2 version number.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 01:11:08 AM »
What I can say is that the color palette is finer in the floppy version than in the CD version. Also the PIC files are quite different, especially the 120.pic.

I wonder why the CD version has a smaller palette? It should be the opposite ???
http://www.image-heberg.fr/files/16766144641519056616.jpg

*While I'm on the subject of color palettes, does the EGA version of EcoQuest really exist?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:18:02 AM by Threepwang »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 04:45:52 AM »
but someone may be able to see if the game should be classified as an SCI2 game or an SCI1.1 in spite of the interpreter reporting an SCI2 version number.
Well, format-wise this is most definitely SCI 1.1.

Offline Collector

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »
So was this was a transitory game between SCI1.1 and SCI2? Would you classify it as an SCI1.1 game? Are the properties/features of the interpreter more like that of an SCI1.1 interpreter? It does seem to be the only game released with version 2.000.286 of the interpreter. GK1 was 2.000.000. Perhaps they were just getting ahead of their versioning numbering scheme, not anticipating what they would set for SCI2.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 11:42:22 AM »
All I looked at was the resource format, so let's look closer.

1. Script numbering-wise, no script goes over #999, and none have SCI2-style names, compared to GK1.
2. Selectors start with Y, X, view, loop, and cel. In GK1 that's plane, Y, X, Z, scaleX, scaleY.

Gabriel Knight 1 is in all respects but the resource map format an SCI2 game. This EcoQuest is an SCI11 game in all respects but the version number.

Offline Collector

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2023, 08:50:30 PM »
So I guess that the version number of the interpreter was just arbitrarily assigned.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2023, 10:21:52 PM »
About rare SCI games:

Brasoft versions of Leisure Suit Larry 5 and 6 are in the Brazilian magazine PC "Multimidia" #6 and 11, but I tested both games and they are in English only. So I don't think there is a Portuguese version.

I found Leisure Suit Larry 5 in Italian and it's an official translation I think. But the Interpreter doesn't appear with Sierra Version Tool: http://www.image-heberg.fr/files/16796244303590026334.jpg

I couldn't find Leisure Suit Larry 6 in Italian, there are only amateur translations, which makes me doubt about an official version in Italian.

On the other hand, the official German version of EcoQuest 2 has been unearthed: https://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/topic?t=89&start=167

It's really not obvious, there are obviously Polish editions, like the one from Torin, Russian versions like the one from Larry 7 by SoftClub...

Personally I'm desperately looking for the Japanese versions of:
King's Quest VII / キングスクエストVII / キングスクエストVII (PC Windows)
Lighthouse / ライトハウス (PC DOS/Windows)
Phantasmagoria 1 / ファンタズム / Phantasm (PC Windows)
Police Quest: SWAT / ポリスクエスト SWAT (PC DOS/Windows)
RAMA 宇宙のランデヴー (PC Windows)
Shivers / シバースー ~呪われた博物館~ (PC Windows)

References:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Japanese_Games
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=SCI/Sierra_Pioneer

So, If any member has a lead or knows a Japanese Abandonware site, I'm very interested :)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 10:46:20 PM by Threepwang »

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2023, 06:38:49 AM »
@OmerMor,

Hi OmerMor!

International Versions:
Leisure Suit Larry 6 (French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish)

Please, do you have a source for the official Italian translation of Leisure Suit Larry 6. I can't find anything that indicates its existence. I know you have a long experience with SCI games, that's why I'm asking you ;)

Offline Collector

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:05 AM »
Would the LSL6 Italian be a fan translation? Enrico Rolfi wrote his TraduSCI for translating SCI games, specifically GK2 to Italian. Not sure how many games have been translated using his tool, but I am not aware of too many Sierra games with an official Italian localization.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2023, 06:23:08 PM »
Please, do you have a source for the official Italian translation of Leisure Suit Larry 6. I can't find anything that indicates its existence. I know you have a long experience with SCI games, that's why I'm asking you ;)

My source was HwM, back in the original thread over at MegaTokyo:
https://helmet.kafuka.org/megatokyo/topic_1690.html#:~:text=LSL6%20has%20a%20German%2C%20French%2C%20Spanish%2C%20Italian%20%26%20Portuguese%20version

I never had any information about this version myself.

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2023, 08:32:17 AM »
Would the LSL6 Italian be a fan translation? Enrico Rolfi wrote his TraduSCI for translating SCI games, specifically GK2 to Italian. Not sure how many games have been translated using his tool, but I am not aware of too many Sierra games with an official Italian localization.

In fact, there are 13 Sierra SCI games officially translated into Italian. 14 if one day I find the proof that LSL6 exists in Italian. But is right, because there is no original Italian edition, our Italian friends have translated the game.

To tell you the truth, I'm cleaning my Sierra archives and completing them in order to participate in the development of Sierra Version Tool. So I'm going by country and by game or series of games, then I'm going to send them all to dear @Boohyaka, who will know how to import them in the interpreters and send them to you. He has more skills than me.

Moreover, it's a great thing to know the official versions in each language. I'm in contact with a lot of people to do this. It's long, but I'm making good progress.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:24:46 AM by Threepwang »

Offline Threepwang

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2023, 08:44:44 AM »

My source was HwM, back in the original thread over at MegaTokyo:
https://helmet.kafuka.org/megatokyo/topic_1690.html#:~:text=LSL6%20has%20a%20German%2C%20French%2C%20Spanish%2C%20Italian%20%26%20Portuguese%20version

I never had any information about this version myself.

Thanks for the quick reply OmerMor, it's hard to be sure with only one source. Maybe it's a lost version, there are so many official translations that have disappeared. Including games from the ADL era.

Offline Collector

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2023, 11:18:52 AM »
I have been going through my own collection with the Version Tool in an effort to fill in the blanks of its database. It is a good way to find and fix bugs that I missed. I have made a number of  changes to help speed up this task. In the process I have uncovered a few bugs and have been fixing them. I have added quite a few pre AGI games and Apple II disk images. Also, I am adding support for LSCI and some of the newer Sierra games.

I have added a few features to assist with adding new, unrecognized games. Now, if it does not recognize a game a file browser dialog will open to the selected directory to select a file to get the hash from to ID the game. Then the new game editor will open with the hash target and its hash already filled in. It will guess the name of the release based upon the the folder's name. All of the fields are editable to make corrections. You can manually check the interpreter's version and open readme/version/QA files to look for version numbers, dates, etc.

I have added a search function to search a number of sites for the release to fill in the missing pieces. Once as many of the fields have been filled in as can be, clicking the write export ID file button will write a file that can be uploaded for me to add to the game to the database.

I will be uploading a new version of the tool in a few days after I have bug checked the new code and do a little cleanup.
KQII Remake Pic

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.