Author Topic: CrafterCMS (Online AGI tools)  (Read 2135 times)

Offline russdanner

Re: CrafterCMS (Online AGI tools)
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2024, 09:48:49 PM »
I think as long as the remaining puzzles are not as hard as that infamous reverse alphabet puzzle that the first releases of KQ1 had, then I'll hopefully be finished by the end of the weekend.

@russdanner, it turns out I was only 20 minutes from finishing the game. I have now completed it and have emailed you a screenshot of the final screen as evidence. I assume you also got the analytics event to say another person finished it.

It was really fun to play. Thanks for all the hard work. I'm looking forward to when the data files are in 100% AGI compatible format so that I'll be able to include it in my AGILE web launch.

Thanks for playing. I have a couple of priorities to knock out, and then I'll come back and jam on compatibility.  In a busy stretch here.

Offline russdanner

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2024, 09:51:18 PM »
Does the https://let-them-eat-cake.com/ version include the most recent bug fixes? I'm running into a lot of seemingly obvious issues on Chrome that aren't mentioned on the game's github. I couldn't make progress after the tube control room, but I documented the bugs I ran into up until that point - attached below.

Also, this might be a personal preference thing, but I'd really prefer the messages to use the system font instead of the raster fonts. Seems so out of place.

Thank you for capturing these!!

Offline russdanner

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2024, 09:55:40 PM »
It's very weird seeing AGI.js used for... well, anything! It's probably 10 years ago I did any work on it whatsoever. It was left in a very early and bug-prone state and it was eventually left to rot. :/

I touched on the AGI engine again a couple of years ago with TinyAGI, for the Raspberry Pi PICO. That went much further and got pretty much feature complete as I remember it. Seeing AGI.js actually being used kind of makes me want to start "working on it" (read: rewriting it) again though :)

Btw, from what I remember, AGI.js actually packed the IBM VGA font and the rendered text would look identical to how it was drawn in the original AGI engine. However the message box functionality itself could have had so many problems that the OP was motivated to replace it.

Finding this project literally made my day. I compiled it and loaded up KQ1 and SQ2 and hooked!!

Offline russdanner

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2024, 07:50:31 PM »
Hi @Lance,

Quick question for you regarding the fixes for the CrafterCMS tools, targeting agile-gdx here:

My baseline assumption is that if the resources work properly in AGI Studio for Windows (running in WINE in my case), they will largely work in AGIle-dx.

After that I think I am going to need to build and test in Agile-gdx to see how well the computer matches regarding the logic files.

Is that a fair assumption? 

Time to get going.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2024, 08:14:27 PM »
@russdanner, yes, that is correct. If it loads into AGI Studio or WinAGI without any issues, then it will import into agile-gdx. I noticed that you have forked the agile-gdx repo. Were you able to build it fine? There is a github action that builds it and currently deploys the HTML5 version to Cloudflare Pages. It includes setting up a couple of HTTP response headers that are required in order to use certain JS APIs in the browser. I'm currently using a script to password protect the website, so that it doesn't get shared around much while I'm still working on the finer details, one of which will be deciding on what the long term domain name will be, but I'd be quite happy to set people up with access to it. You could also build the project using gradle (using the html:dist task) and then the output under the html/build/dist folder is the generated static web content. To run it locally though, you'd need to set up your webserver to set the required HTTP response headers.

I'm not far off doing a first release for testing. I'm looking for testing volunteers. I'm currently tweaking some of the usability aspects, such as the virtual keyboard and virtual joystick. I'm guessing that a lot of people out there will try visiting the website using their phone, so I'm putting a lot of the focus into making that as easy to use as possible.

Offline russdanner

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2024, 11:00:25 PM »
I haven't had luck getting WinAGI via WINE on Mint/Ubuntu, but I did get an older (I think) program called AGI Studio. I'm going to work towards getting the resources to load in it.

https://www.loom.com/share/3d965d5f66aa48d283dd1316a830b77f?sid=c0581eee-7669-43fb-b6bd-47225e7bd491

I haven't tried a build of AGILE yet, but I am excited to try it  :)

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2024, 01:50:41 PM »
@russdanner, how are you getting on with this?

As mentioned to you via email (for other people's info), I have next week off and am planning to use it in a concerted effort to close down the remaining items on my todo list in preparation for making an initial testing version of agile-gdx available for people to try. That would then be 1 month before the 10th May 2024 King's Quest 40 year anniversary, so I'm hoping that anything that people find during that 1 month I can then fix prior to "launching" it to the wider world.

It would be really great if we had a working build of Let Them Eat Cake that is 100% AGI compatible by then, so that I can package it up in that first public release.

A question for @AGKorson: Is there any chance that you could release a version of the Power Pack demo game that doesn't rely on the Power Pack? I think it would be great if I could include that as well. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to support the Power Pack itself from day one, which is why I'm asking about a version of the game that doesn't require it.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2024, 03:27:55 PM »
The Power Pack Demo intentionally contains a lot of content that only works with the power pack. But I will take a look at it to see if I can strip out those parts. The exploration parts can probably be converted to true AGI without too much effort.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:11:53 AM by AGKorson »

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2024, 11:10:30 AM »
The Power Pack Demo intentionally contains a lot of content that only works with the power pack.

Yeah, I realise that. I wish I had the time to implement all the Power Pack features before the 10th May, but as you would know, its far more involved to do so than the various other AGI "hacks". I was surprised at how easy it was to implement support for the other hacks, i.e. AGI Mouse, AGI PAL, AGI256 and AGI256-2. I wanted to give you the opportunity to include a version of the Power Pack demo game with the initial launch of agile-gdx, but I fully understand if you think it isn't viable. I realise that the whole point of the demo game was to show off the Power Pack features.

But I will take a look at it to see if I can strip out those parts. The exploration parts can probably be converted to true AGI without too much effort.

If you could, that would be awesome. I really like the setting off the Power Pack demo and it ties in quite well with the whole idea of a 40th anniversary. From what I've been able to work out so far, it was around September 1984 that Sierra moved into the "redwood" building that your game is set in. Hmmm, I guess if we are not able to include something in the initial May release of agile-gdx, then we could target September as a 40th anniversary of the move in to that building and that gives me a target to work towards to add Power Pack feature support.

My week off has just begun, so I'm going to be focusing on agile-gdx a lot this week and will probably be quite active on this site.

Offline russdanner

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2024, 10:05:42 PM »
Quote from: AGKorson link=topic=9202.msg75191#msg75191 date=170906137
Oh, and here's a plug for WinAGI: you can download the latest version here: [url
http://agiwiki.sierrahelp.com/images/c/c6/WinAGI_2_3_6.zip[/url]. If you want to create a full featured AGI game in the old Sierra style, there's no better game development system out there.

I haven't been successful getting WinAGI to run on Linux/Mint, but I was able to push it further than it was (I think)

I was getting:
0024:err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\russdanner\\winagi\\WinAGI.exe") not found

Which seems to have been solved with:
winetricks vb6run

Unfortunately, the program now launches and exists without a peep. I'll update if I figure anything out.

Offline russdanner

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2024, 09:36:12 AM »
The Power Pack Demo intentionally contains a lot of content that only works with the power pack. But I will take a look at it to see if I can strip out those parts. The exploration parts can probably be converted to true AGI without too much effort.

I moved all my assets into WinAGI GDS, running on a Windows box (in AWS), to try and help Lance's effort. 

But After I restarted the IDE, I am now getting Invalid resource data at ##### VOL.0 for all PICs and VIEWS, including the assets that came with the sample. Is this recoverable or do I have to remove and re-add all of the assets?

I will try and start a new project an copy everything back in. I already tried removing everything except for what I need for the Title Screen. When I build and run that it says please insert Disk 1.  I assume there's something fundamentally off with the VOL files. 

I committed my garage to this branch https://github.com/russdanner/agi-studio-let-them-eat-cake/tree/WinAGI-GDS/ltec-gds/src and I plan to start over again with an empty template and see if I can get things running again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 10:37:12 AM by russdanner »

Offline russdanner

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2024, 11:20:26 PM »

I moved all my assets into WinAGI GDS, running on a Windows box (in AWS), to try and help Lance's effort. 

But After I restarted the IDE, I am now getting Invalid resource data at ##### VOL.0 for all PICs and VIEWS, including the assets that came with the sample. Is this recoverable or do I have to remove and re-add all of the assets?

I will try and start a new project an copy everything back in. I already tried removing everything except for what I need for the Title Screen. When I build and run that it says please insert Disk 1.  I assume there's something fundamentally off with the VOL files. 

I committed my garage to this branch https://github.com/russdanner/agi-studio-let-them-eat-cake/tree/WinAGI-GDS/ltec-gds/src and I plan to start over again with an empty template and see if I can get things running again.

I rebuilt the game and I've found that so long as I do not remove any of the example assets I don't get into the situation. As a workaround I've move them all high ID numbers.

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2024, 12:49:49 PM »
Thanks for your efforts Russ. I'm really looking forward to hearing back on whether you're able to get the game fully converted. Let me know before Friday next week if you're able to get it working and I'll drop everything to make sure it is packaged up into what I release for agile-gdx on the 10th May. I'm going to be focusing on preparing my GitHub readme, and a supporting blog post, over the next week, and fixing any major issue that anyone happens to report between now and then.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2024, 07:08:23 PM »
Russ, I took a quick look at your repo. It's a bit confusing, as there are two different WinAGI project folders, one in bins, and one in ltec-gds. It looks like the one in bins was your first try, as it's older - the other I see you were working on it last night.

I'm not sure exactly what trouble you're having. I checked, and WinAGI shouldn't throw disk/file related errors when deleting existing resources. What I suspect is that when you deleted them, logics that reference them will throw a compile error if you try compiling the game. All of the resources in the template game are used somewhere in the game, so if you delete one or more of them, you will also need to edit the logics where they are referenced.

For what you want to do (create a new game based on your existing resources), the best path would be to create a new blank game. Then import all your resources (I'm sorry I don't have a bulk import function - maybe that's something I need to add in a later version).  If your logics are fully compatible with original Sierra, they should then compile with no errors. But I suspect there will be a bit of tweaking required to iron everything out. WinAGI will help you with that- if you try to compile a logic (or the whole game, which automatically recompiles all the logics), it will identify errors (displayed in red and indicate that the logic can't be compiled until you fix the condition) or warnings, which offer helpful advice on how to improve your code or avoid game runtime errors. You can ignore the warnings if you want - you don't have to deal with them to compile and run your game.

I did notice that in your first try (the files in the bins folder), you had your defines file listed as logic zero. That would indeed cause a problem. Logic zero MUST be the main logic - the one that runs every cycle and never gets unloaded. It looks like you got that straightened out when you tried using the template.

It also looks like you figured out how to use the global defines file. That makes it very easy to manage defines that are used across multiple logics. Here's a tip for you - you don't need to include defines for logic, view, picture, sound resources; their IDs are considered global defines by default. So if you've given your resources IDs that match what's in your globals.txt file, you can remove all those defines from the file.

There is a ton of helpful information in the Help file that should show you how to do all the things you need to finish adding all your resources and getting things running. And you can also always contact me, either here in the forum, or by PM, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have - either about how to use WinAGI to do what you want, or generic AGI related questions.

Offline russdanner

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2024, 09:23:35 AM »
Russ, I took a quick look at your repo. It's a bit confusing, as there are two different WinAGI project folders, one in bins, and one in ltec-gds. It looks like the one in bins was your first try, as it's older - the other I see you were working on it last night.

I'm not sure exactly what trouble you're having. I checked, and WinAGI shouldn't throw disk/file related errors when deleting existing resources. What I suspect is that when you deleted them, logics that reference them will throw a compile error if you try compiling the game. All of the resources in the template game are used somewhere in the game, so if you delete one or more of them, you will also need to edit the logics where they are referenced.

For what you want to do (create a new game based on your existing resources), the best path would be to create a new blank game. Then import all your resources (I'm sorry I don't have a bulk import function - maybe that's something I need to add in a later version).  If your logics are fully compatible with original Sierra, they should then compile with no errors. But I suspect there will be a bit of tweaking required to iron everything out. WinAGI will help you with that- if you try to compile a logic (or the whole game, which automatically recompiles all the logics), it will identify errors (displayed in red and indicate that the logic can't be compiled until you fix the condition) or warnings, which offer helpful advice on how to improve your code or avoid game runtime errors. You can ignore the warnings if you want - you don't have to deal with them to compile and run your game.

I did notice that in your first try (the files in the bins folder), you had your defines file listed as logic zero. That would indeed cause a problem. Logic zero MUST be the main logic - the one that runs every cycle and never gets unloaded. It looks like you got that straightened out when you tried using the template.

It also looks like you figured out how to use the global defines file. That makes it very easy to manage defines that are used across multiple logics. Here's a tip for you - you don't need to include defines for logic, view, picture, sound resources; their IDs are considered global defines by default. So if you've given your resources IDs that match what's in your globals.txt file, you can remove all those defines from the file.

There is a ton of helpful information in the Help file that should show you how to do all the things you need to finish adding all your resources and getting things running. And you can also always contact me, either here in the forum, or by PM, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have - either about how to use WinAGI to do what you want, or generic AGI related questions.

Thanks for the response, I think I've got things rolling.  The project will definitely needs some folder cleanup but I'll do that after the madness.  For now I'm rolling. I've done as minimal a refactor as needed. I'll go back again and take advantage of some of the capabilities AGIJS and my compiler didn't support once I've got all the rooms in.  .... only ... 30 to go :D

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.