Author Topic: A quick observation on SCI0  (Read 744 times)

Offline Kawa

A quick observation on SCI0
« on: September 05, 2023, 06:05:20 AM »
There are no real SCI0 translations. This is because this interpreter does not cover special characters like accent grave, accent egu, umlaut, etc. The SCI0 games that are translated are converted to the hybrid SCI01.
-- ScummVM Wiki, Sierra Game Versions

I'd like to note that this is a blatant falsehood. Attached is a screenshot of King's Quest 4 (1988, green buttons and all, int ver 0.000.274, int md5 245f2f35947434b7022b4e23b10cb3f9) clearly showing special characters without complaint. I did this by simply changing the text resource, then importing my Win-1252 version of font.004, daftly bypassing SCI Companion's insistence that the wiki is correct (it doesn't let you go over 127 for old versions).

If nobody talks me out of it, I'll lift the 127 character limit shortly I guess.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:49:51 PM by Kawa »

Offline Collector

Re: A quick observation on SCI0
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 10:28:09 AM »
What about Cyrillic languages?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 10:56:59 AM »
What about Cyrillic languages?
The codepage doesn't matter. If you stick a font that matches codepage 855 or whatnot in there instead of the 1252 I used and encode the text resources in the same, there's nothing stopping you from having it ask "Вы раньше играли в King's Quest 4?" instead, with no changes to or replacements of the interpreter or script code.

Edit: I did it. In 866 because that's the Cyrillic font I had available but again that doesn't actually matter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:03:17 AM by Kawa »

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 11:20:09 AM »
This will be a real boon for translators.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 11:29:16 AM »
This will be a real boon for translators.
Not quite. If I remember correctly, the parser's dictionary for SCI0 uses the most significant bit to find the end of a word ("applσ" without a null terminator, if you will) so there's no way to enter commands with any character code > 128.

But displaying those characters works perfectly fine in any SCI interpreter, so perhaps something on the wikis ought to be revised.

Offline lskovlun

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 11:29:52 AM »
Good luck getting the parser to work, though.

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 11:55:00 AM »
But displaying those characters works perfectly fine in any SCI interpreter, so perhaps something on the wikis ought to be revised.

Feel free to update the SCI Wiki.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 12:52:00 PM »
Ironically, I just found out that this very board doesn't like non-ASCII characters very much, between the em-dash in my opening post (now edited to be a double hyphen-minus) and the other possible illustration of apple, where it has an a with a ring above (funny how the DOS CP-437 rendition does work...)

Offline Kawa

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 01:06:12 PM »
Another weird thing on the ScummVM wiki:
Script bugs
Very unlikely to get fixed
  • EQ1: Windows have the same issues like in qfg1vga, CD is more obvious because some window placements overlap with ego (like looking at the books right in the first room)
  • LSL1: Priority issues in bathroom right at the start
  • QFG1VGA: the left and right half-transparent window decoration on all windows doesn't work right, the transparency will show the background picture all the time
And I'm just wondering if the EQ1/QFG1 thing is referring to this interesting phenomenon. Those custom windows are drawn by scripts, to be sure, but then surely all these SCI0 games that don't even support custom windows wouldn't have the same issue, right? So if it's referring to this thing, it's not a script issue and can't be fixed like one. Even disabling custom windows, which a script patch can do, wouldn't fix it. So either the ScummVM wiki got another thing wrong or I'm thinking of a different issue altogether.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.