Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 393401 times)

Offline CTxCB

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #420 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
So once again Avast messes up regular use of a perfectly safe and legitimate application. Nothing new here, carry on.

Edit: interestingly, VirusTotal's copy of Avast doesn't agree.
When I first downloaded it, it gave me warnings and locked up the program whilst I'd did an AVAST SmartScreen? Scan of the exe. Now, it won't even load unless I disable it's shields, it just does the spinny mouse cursor thing and says it's running if I do otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:49:53 AM by CTxCB »

Offline CTxCB

« Reply #421 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
So once again Avast messes up regular use of a perfectly safe and legitimate application. Nothing new here, carry on.

Edit: interestingly, VirusTotal's copy of Avast doesn't agree.
Either way THAT does highlight slight problems, like the fact that ClamAV thinks that SCICompanion.exe is "Win.Adware.Browsefox-14038", and the fact that AVAST still thinks that SCICompanion.exe is suspicious enough to stop it from loading by doing a SmartScreen Scan on it (and now not allow it to load at all).

Offline Kawa

« Reply #422 on: November 17, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »
Seriously though? The last ten times at least that I've heard about Avast, it involved overly-aggressive responses to false positives.

Offline CTxCB

« Reply #423 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
Seriously though? The last ten times at least that I've heard about Avast, it involved overly-aggressive responses to false positives.
Either way, I've got to exercise caution when using SCICompanion, because it is for some reason locking up the program and allowing it to load, but somehow suspending it before it can be shown on the screen... This means I have to disable my Virus Protection (AVAST) Shield whilst working on my SCI1.1 Game.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #424 on: November 17, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
I may have been too subtle. The implied message was that Avast is shit and should be removed, replaced for something better.

Offline CTxCB

« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »
I may have been too subtle. The implied message was that Avast is shit and should be removed, replaced for something better.
Which free antivirus would you suggest?

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
I've never adopted the use of anti-virus software and I've never regretted it. Still no viruses here. I can count the amount of times I've had spyware issues on one hand in ten years. And those cases were easily dealt with small free programs rather than large antivirus software that takes up resources and has to always be running. Screw that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:30:13 AM by MusicallyInspired »
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
I use MSE, and it very rarely triggers. Those few times it did, I expected it to, from downloading arguable material on purpose.

The best protection your system can have is a smart user, like Mu.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #428 on: November 17, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
Phil, you should probably be advised that the template game's view 995 still has the SQ5 palette embedded in it.

Offline Collector

« Reply #429 on: November 17, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
Yeah, I am only using MSE myself, but have had fewer than a half dozen incidences (all minor) to deal with. Most security issues are PEBKAC errors.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #430 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »
Phil, you should probably be advised that the template game's view 995 still has the SQ5 palette embedded in it.

That's probably intentional (so the settings pane always shows the correct colors), but it does make things more difficult for people if they want to use a different global palette. So yeah, I'll remove it.

(And I just use Windows Defender. Last time I had a virus or any kind of spyware was on XP like 8 years ago or something).
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #431 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
In the Message editor, I added a 9th verb however it does not show up on the drop down list for entering the message.

Using version .12

* After closing and starting companion back up, all the verbs now appear... I'll keep an eye out on this one to see if it happens again. May just have been a network issue... working on my game stored on a nas drive. Moved it to the local machine between closing and reopening companion.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:46:44 PM by Cloudee1 »
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
Strange, that shouldn't happen. We don't reload Verbs.sh until you open a new message editor. Otherwise, it should just use the one in memory (which will have your new verb), and it should repopulate the combobox immediately.

Let me know if it happens again.

Offline Collector

« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:35 PM »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
lol... well at least I went straight to stage 3!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.