Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 393311 times)

Offline troflip

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #465 on: December 06, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
Random question about opening Sierra SCI games. I'm trying to open KQ5 CD version and it's having trouble understanding sound resources with embedded digital audio. It just says Resource load failed next to each digitally embedded resource. They won't even play. Is there a specific setting I can change in the version detection window to get them to load?

I don't think I ever implemented that, actually. All the pieces are there, probably, so I doubt it's very difficult. I don't have KQ5 CD in my library... is there another game that this repros with?
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #466 on: December 06, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »
So far no settings I try are working. It's also not listing the voice acting audio list at all. I think KQ5CD used a transitional version of SCI that used elements from standard SCI1 but with a few advanced features not found in SCI1. It was the first CD/Talkie Sierra made, I think.

If you want to grab it (and any other Sierra games you might not have), they're currently on sale DRM and launcher client-free at GOG right now for $1.99 for each game pack in a bundle (KQ1-2-3, KQ4-5-6, KQ7-8, QFG1-5, and QFI, a newer title). Or $3.99 for one pack. KQ5CD is included in the KQ4-5-6 pack.

http://www.gog.com/promo/winter_sale_bundle_quest_061215
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:24:49 PM by MusicallyInspired »
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #467 on: December 06, 2015, 10:18:28 PM »
Random question about opening Sierra SCI games. I'm trying to open KQ5 CD version and it's having trouble understanding sound resources with embedded digital audio. It just says Resource load failed next to each digitally embedded resource. They won't even play. Is there a specific setting I can change in the version detection window to get them to load?

I don't think I ever implemented that, actually. All the pieces are there, probably, so I doubt it's very difficult. I don't have KQ5 CD in my library... is there another game that this repros with?

I setup an FTP account for you. Check your PM on SHP.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #468 on: December 06, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
It's ok, I got them off gog, that's a steal of a deal!

Offline troflip

« Reply #469 on: December 07, 2015, 04:11:25 AM »
Even though I was going to wait until official beta, the whole Sierra Script thing kind of derailed that a bit. So I decided to release an interim version (details in the first post of this thread, again).

To convert a game from the existing syntax, open the game properties and select "Sierra Script" for the language, then click ok. A bunch of confirm and warning dialogs will come up asking if you want to convert everything now. The UI will hang while it does this (since this would be rarely-used, I didn't offer progress/cancel functionality). Takes a few seconds on my machine, or around 30 seconds in debug builds. So things may appear hung for a while. If you have open script files, you'll need to close and re-open them to see the changes.

(You can also convert on a script-by-script basis by clicking the convert button at the top of the script editor. It's enabled if the current script is in a different language than the default game language).

I don't have a converted template-game in there yet, but you can just create a new one (but make sure to choose SCI Studio as the language when you do that), then convert. Should work with both SCI0 and SCI 1.1 template games.

The template game also has a lot of changes, but I've been keeping the last few posts in this thread up-to-date, particularly this one: http://sciprogramming.com/community/index.php?topic=1458.msg7971#msg7971

If you want to update an existing game you're working on, there will be lots of find-and-replace and file renaming. Or if you don't care, you can just keep your game as is. There were a few small changes to sci.sh which will cause compiles to fail though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:45:27 PM by troflip »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #470 on: December 07, 2015, 06:08:33 AM »
Awesome.

« Reply #471 on: December 07, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »
Sweet.

Offline Collector

« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
A crash that most would probably never encounter, but I was experimenting with Brian's SCI1 demo that Omer posted. I wanted to see if I could get Companion to pack the resources into a single resource file. I did not expect it to work and it did create a zero length resource file. I deleted this and accidentally deleted the map file. This caused Companion to open a message that the file could not be found and then crashed after hitting the rebuild. This is with the latest build.

One other observation is that Companion will properly display the PIC resources is you set the version detection and reload the game. Not sure if this is already known and I missed it or not. I guess it is not properly detecting the version of Brian's VGA demo, but then as Kawa found out, neither does SV.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #473 on: December 08, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
The whole LSL1 comparison kinda falls flat when SV can load that perfectly fine X3

Offline troflip

« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
Any crash is a bad crash. What do you mean by pack the resources into a single resource file?

Can you explain your 2nd paragraph a bit more? I don't really understand... what do you mean "set the version detection and reload the game"?

Offline Collector

« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
Any crash is a bad crash. What do you mean by pack the resources into a single resource file?
I agree, which is why I was reporting it. Brian's demo has all of the resources as individual files.  I wanted to see if I could pack them into a single RESOURCE.000 file.

This is what you get when you load Brian's demo and open the Version detector dialog. If you set everything to SCI1 VGA and hit the reload game Companion will properly display the graphics.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #476 on: December 08, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
SCI1 doesn't support RESOURCE.000.

« Reply #477 on: December 08, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »
Ok, last night I launched SCI Companion 3.0.1.0 and it worked fine. Today I try to launch it and it crashes immediately. No idea what the problem is...

EDIT: Weird, I extracted and overwrote everything from the zip and it launches fine now...

Offline troflip

« Reply #478 on: December 08, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
Right, we knew that Brian's demo worked if we set the pic to VGA and reloaded it.

It would be very difficult to detect which version his demo is, since there's no resource package file, and the resource.map has no entries in it. So there's nothing to inspect, really.

And as you found, Companion doesn't support packaging stray files into the resource map/package. You'd need to add them manually.

MusicallyInspired, very suspicious. Let me know if it happens again, and if so, zip up the contents of the directory and send it to me.

« Reply #479 on: December 08, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
Will do.

Also, I didn't want to derail Kawa's Christmas Card thread so I thought I'd share the results of my attempting to compile KQ2SCI with Sierra Script. The result was an instant "Oops!" error message when the game loaded and quit immediately.

EDIT: I ran it with "SCIV.EXE -d" for debug mode and it said there was an attempt to divide by zero. The first object it lists in the debug window is:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:00:38 PM by MusicallyInspired »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.