Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 287812 times)

Offline troflip

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #480 on: December 08, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »
Lol, just like in Collector's case I can also not repro. Works fine for me. Can you attach the zipped game directory or something?

[edit:] hmm, ok, I can repro with the version of Companion that I uploaded... interesting...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:23:27 PM by troflip »
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #481 on: December 08, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
I didn't want to derail Kawa's Christmas Card thread
I'm active on Byuu's Board. I'm more than used to derailed threads.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #482 on: December 08, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
In other news, SCI Companion won't properly quit anymore if you've opened a game in it. My first thought: the "don't allow closing the game tab" thing.

Offline troflip

« Reply #483 on: December 08, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »
What do you mean it won't properly quit?

Offline Kawa

« Reply #484 on: December 08, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
There are no visible windows and I have to kill it from a task manager.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #485 on: December 08, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »
Not getting that here..
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #486 on: December 08, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
Mind you, only when you first open a game. Any game.

Offline troflip

« Reply #487 on: December 08, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
This is what I tried:
- Open SCI Companion (no game loaded)
- Open a game from the MRU
- Click the close button (X) in the frame of SCI Companion
Result: SCI Companion closes properly

If you're reporting a bug, please please please list the repro steps explicitly.

« Reply #488 on: December 08, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
What would it take to take any pre-SCI1.1 game and convert it to SCI1.1? Like, say I wanted to take my old SCI0 game and remake it in VGA. Since the script language is largely the same (there really isn't any difference, is there?), could there be some kind of conversion process to turn everything into SCI1.1? Putting aside for a moment the complication of the different graphics asset formats...

I know, I'm bringing up another big question when there's already so much going on...I'm sorry. Is there some way to do this now without a built-in function? I guess just create a new SCI1.1 game and overwrite the SRC folder with the contents from the older game?

EDIT: The reason I ask is because way back when Brian was first talking about SCI Studio VGA and how easy it was to make he also mentioned how easy it was to upgrade an existing SCI0 game to SCI1 by just changing parser commands to verb interactions along with a few other things, and I wonder if it really is as simple as that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:03:18 PM by MusicallyInspired »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #489 on: December 08, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »
We seem to have a heisenbug, because just now I've tried to reproduce it a few times and sometimes it did sometimes it didn't.

Considering I had a loud fan and like six leftover instances earlier today, that miffs me.

Offline troflip

« Reply #490 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
The syntax is the same, yes. But Saids and synonyms are not supported in SCI1.1. synonyms just won't be output in the script resource, and I'm not sure what happens if you call Said. I would guess it just returns false or crashes the interpreter.

Since, other than a few fan games I've seen, everything is text-parser based, I can't see this as being much use.

At any rate, one other reason it might not work is that the interpreter makes assumptions about some of the classes. In particular the offsets of certain selectors need to be at certain positions in the classes's property list. We had issues with this before when moving the SQ5 decompiler source to the LSL6 interpreter.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to create a new SCI1.1 game, and copy your source files in there... but not the ones that overwrite Actor/Prop and such. Leave all the SCI1.1 base classes there. Just copy over your room classes. Hmm... well, now I'm not sure. I guess you still want all the menubar stuff (which is not used in the SCI1.1 template game, but I think still supported by the interp). I dunno, hurts my head to think about it. I guess... give it a try? The issue with selector positions I mentioned above is just a problem with Sierra's interpreter, not with ScummVM. So if you manage to get it working in ScummVM, there's probably some tweaks we could make to have it behave ok in Sierra's interp too.

I don't think there could ever be a tool to do this automatically though...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:13:09 PM by troflip »

Offline troflip

« Reply #491 on: December 08, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »
We seem to have a heisenbug, because just now I've tried to reproduce it a few times and sometimes it did sometimes it didn't.

Considering I had a loud fan and like six leftover instances earlier today, that miffs me.

It's possible it was fixed by this, which I think I checked in after the release I made.
https://github.com/icefallgames/SCICompanion/commit/23b14f6cbbe78e23708f9152d83f23b035093d31

That was stopping the release build in the debugger when trying to close Companion. But if not run in the debugger, it closed fine... I think.

« Reply #492 on: December 08, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
The syntax is the same, yes. But Saids and synonyms are not supported in SCI1.1. synonyms just won't be output in the script resource, and I'm not sure what happens if you call Said. I would guess it just returns false or crashes the interpreter.

Since, other than a few fan games I've seen, everything is text-parser based, I can't see this as being much use.

At any rate, one other reason it might not work is that the interpreter makes assumptions about some of the classes. In particular the offsets of certain selectors need to be at certain positions in the classes's property list. We had issues with this before when moving the SQ5 decompiler source to the LSL6 interpreter.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to create a new SCI1.1 game, and copy your source files in there... but not the ones that overwrite Actor/Prop and such. Leave all the SCI1.1 base classes there. Just copy over your room classes. Hmm... well, now I'm not sure. I guess you still want all the menubar stuff (which is not used in the SCI1.1 template game, but I think still supported by the interp). I dunno, hurts my head to think about it. I guess... give it a try? The issue with selector positions I mentioned above is just a problem with Sierra's interpreter, not with ScummVM. So if you manage to get it working in ScummVM, there's probably some tweaks we could make to have it behave ok in Sierra's interp too.

I don't think there could ever be a tool to do this automatically though...

Well, my idea is not to simply to carry everything over and play exactly the same as in SCI0 with no difference (obviously there would be no parser, for instance). There's not much point in that at all, I agree. I'm talking about remaking a game with VGA graphics, speech, and all the enhancements of P&C and SCI1.1. Completely remake the game. It would just be easier because I wouldn't have to script everything from scratch again. I wouldn't miss anything like the menubar and other SCI0-centric aesthetics. Like, take KQ4 and make it a SCI1.1 game with a typical SCI1+ interface and remake VGA graphics. Or SQ1VGA, even, and give it speech. Or KQ5, just to mess around and remove dead ends (or add new ones lol).

I'll test it out. What are the SCI1.1 base classes then?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:05:24 PM by MusicallyInspired »

Offline troflip

« Reply #493 on: December 08, 2015, 10:02:52 PM »
I'll test it out. What are the SCI1.1 base classes then?

You mean the ones where the selectors are at assumed positions? We never found out, exactly. I determined it was Feature and most of the ones that inherited from that, but also others.

It doesn't really matter though... it sounds like you understand the implications of moving from SCI0 to SCI1.1, and so probably the best course of action is just to copy your rooms over (and rename Rm to Room, Act to Actor, etc...). No reason that shouldn't work.

Offline Collector

« Reply #494 on: December 08, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »
What if you had the compiler choke on those parts so that by attempting to compile it would ID the lines that need manual intervention/conversion?
KQII Remake Pic

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 24 queries.