Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 393420 times)

Offline troflip

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #510 on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
See here:
http://sciprogramming.com/community/index.php?topic=1458.msg7971#msg7971

noCycle has been renamed to skipCheck (sci.sh change)
CanBeHere has been renamed CantBeHere (kernel change)
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #511 on: December 10, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
Is there a list of the changes that could be referenced for conversions? I am thinking of going through all of the fan games to convert them to Sierra script.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline troflip

« Reply #512 on: December 10, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
Basically just in that thread.

For fan games, they are all SCI0, so I don't think any changes are needed (with the possible exception of new reserved keywords being used for variable names - though I do try to recognize those and change the names). All the changes are for the SCI 1.1 template game.

If the fan game was made with SCI Studio, there might be compile errors that need to be fixed before converting (the game needs to compile without errors in Studio script before converting). Companion was always stricter than Studio when it came to parentheses, and some parts of the original SCI0 template game fail to compile. For instance in Gauge.sc:

Code: [Select]
= ctlX (- (- nsRight (send btnCancel:nsRight) 4) )

needs to be

Code: [Select]
= ctlX (- (- nsRight (send btnCancel:nsRight)) 4 )

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:49:36 PM by troflip »

Offline Collector

« Reply #513 on: December 10, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
It might be a false impression, but I think that outside of the earliest games like Eigen's games, the majority were probably done with Companion. In any case, I will probably re-upload everything with both the original Studio source and well as the ported Sierra script source.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:18:43 AM by Collector »
KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #514 on: December 10, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »
I think there were a total of 3 games ever made in Studio. That's when Brian abandoned it, methinks. After this community opened up due to MT's demise and Companion was released, that's when the games started again.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline Collector

« Reply #515 on: December 10, 2015, 10:33:11 PM »
That was my impression. Also part of the reason that Brian gave up on SCI before SCI Studio VGA was done. Not enough games for his efforts. He was probably hoping that Studio would have led to a flood of fan games the way AGI Studio did. This was probably a unreasonable expectation given that most of the AGI fan games little more than demos of abandoned games.
KQII Remake Pic

« Reply #516 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:14 AM »
And AGI was easier to make. I had to give myself a crash course in OOP with Studio. That was my introduction to scripting/coding. Certainly helped, but not everyone is as patient about these things as I am. Also, AGI graphics are infinitely easier to make and get away with. On top of that, everyone just wanted VGA P&C and eventually abandoned him for AGS. After a while Brian himself started linking to and recommending AGS. I'm glad he did SCI0, though. If he didn't nobody would have. It's a great parser engine with incredible EGA graphics capability.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:13:56 AM by MusicallyInspired »

Offline Collector

« Reply #517 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:31 AM »
Agreed.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #518 on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
While adding priority colors to a pic resource.

I drew several of the priority areas, changing colors between each. I decided that I needed another area of the same color I had already used. So I moved to the appropriate area in the command list, picked my spot and drew another line. As soon as I completed the line (which entered at the correct spot in the list), the position I was in on the command list jumped down to the end, so that the next line I draw was in the wrong area of the command list, thus rendering the line incorrectly.
Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #519 on: December 11, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Ooo, that's a bad one. I'll try to release a patch today.

[edit:] Version 3.0.1.2 released with the fix.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:34:38 PM by troflip »

« Reply #520 on: December 12, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »
How does Companion behave when there's a patch Script resource in the game directory? It lists both the patch and the embedded one in the resource list, but when it disassembles where does it disassemble from? The patch or the embedded one? Or does it disassemble both?

EDIT: Strange, I'm trying to decompile the KQ5 floppy version and there are certain scripts that won't decompile at all. It doesn't give a reason, it just says 0% successful for those scripts. Any idea why? They are:

• setControls (755)
  • sysLogger (952)
  • PolyPath (965)
  • Polygon (966)
  • DCIcon (967)
  • MoveFwd (972)
  • RFeature (973)
  • Follow (975)
  • Chase (977)
  • Rev (978)
  • Wander (979)
  • SysWindow (980)
  • myWindow (981)
  • n982
  • Path (983)
  • n984
  • Avoid (985)
  • Orbit (986)
  • Sound (989)
  • SRDialog (990)
  • Jump (991)
  • Cycle (992)
  • gamefile.sh (993)
  • Game (994)
  • InvI (995)
  • User (996)
  • Class_997_0
  • MyLooper (998)
  • Obj (999)

Also, my attempts to compile a script for KQ5CD have been a failure. It just gives me an Oops error when it encounters the script. However, in ScummVM it shows the changes properly. I'm throwing a wild guess that it has something to do with Companion not detecting all the resource formats of KQ5CD properly or something.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:43:16 PM by MusicallyInspired »

Offline troflip

« Reply #521 on: December 12, 2015, 06:43:20 PM »
Patch files generally have precedence over the same resource in the resource map. So if you disassemble or decompile, it should take the patch resource.

Some parts of the code (for instance the one that rebuilds the resource packages) ignore patch files.

Offline troflip

« Reply #522 on: December 12, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
EDIT: Strange, I'm trying to decompile the KQ5 floppy version and there are certain scripts that won't decompile at all. It doesn't give a reason, it just says 0% successful for those scripts. Any idea why? They are:

KQ5 CD is a weird one. I'm making assumptions that are incorrect. So... that's not supported right now. i.e. it's Script resources have a combination of things that no other game has (specifically: lofsa opcode is absolute, heap resources are not separate, and the export table is 16-bit instead of 32-bit).

Offline Cloudee1

« Reply #523 on: December 17, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
The save restore script needs some serious work...

When Saving...
 - selecting a previous save slot, it does not change the description text to selected.
 -- Assuming it will save correctly, clicking save, it does overwrite the file in description not the selected.
 -- Changing description to match the text selected, creates another save game with the same description.

Basically, here, there is no way to overwrite an old save game slot, only the most recent one.

When Deleteing...
- Like with saving, selecting a previous save game does not change the description text to selected
-- Clicking Delete, all save game descriptions take the name of the most recent saved game

I have attached a couple images of the before and after of deleting

Halloween Competition Brass Lantern Prop Competition Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #524 on: December 17, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
That reminds me. I wanted to try and replace srdialog.sc with OmerMor's save.sc. With the unsupported bits removed of course.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.