Author Topic: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests  (Read 393405 times)

Offline troflip

Re: SCI Companion V3 - alpha build notes/bugs/feature requests
« Reply #540 on: December 20, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »
It's interesting that the official docs never describe any distinction between the brace syntax and double-quote syntax for strings. The "Script programming language" document from April 1988 uses only double-quote syntax, while the "changes" document (which starts in October 1988) makes no mention of brace syntax being introduced, and just kind of assumes it.

So the "double-quote strings automatically generate text resources" functionality must have not been present at first, but then introduced very early on.
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #541 on: December 21, 2015, 06:41:52 AM »
Interesting.
I tried to look it up as well, but found no mention of it.

Offline troflip

« Reply #542 on: December 23, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »
New version released, with fixes for a lot of compile issues people were having for games outside the SCI0/SCI1.1 template games. AFAIK, scripts resources should be generated correctly for any SCI0-SCI2 game now*.

There were some "risky" changes to how the compiler works, but it is now a little simpler and should be a little more flexible as to how it generates script resources now (which allowed me to better debug issues the compiler was having with some SCI1 games). I've done my standard test passes, and every seems ok though.

I had thought about seeing if I could strip down LSL5, which is what I believe he started from. While the game will open in the new Companion, every time I try to do anything with the resources in the new companion it makes the resources unreadable.

Hmm... I'm sort of able to repro this. I had a bug specific to VGA views in SCI1 games. It should be fixed now. It resulted in corrupt views (still readable, they were just garbled) Can you explain a bit better what you were experiencing? Which resources did you modify? Did it affect other resources or just that one?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:14:23 AM by troflip »

Offline Collector

« Reply #543 on: December 24, 2015, 12:33:14 AM »
I was trying to strip out unneeded resources from LSL5 to match the scripts from Brain's SCI1 template. It was just an experiment to see how much work there might be in trying to finish Brian's SCI1 template game. Just deleting a couple of Pics will make the game unreadable. The Map goes from 3.14 KB to 6 bytes. and the RESOURCE.001 drops from 1.05 MB to 1.02 MB. RESOURCE.000 and RESOURCE.002 are unchanged. I am assuming that the pics were in RESOURCE.001, but rewriting the map fails.
KQII Remake Pic

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #544 on: December 24, 2015, 01:35:42 AM »
Sweet! Thank you again so much!
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline troflip

« Reply #545 on: December 24, 2015, 01:43:51 AM »
Just deleting a couple of Pics will make the game unreadable. The Map goes from 3.14 KB to 6 bytes. and the RESOURCE.001 drops from 1.05 MB to 1.02 MB. RESOURCE.000 and RESOURCE.002 are unchanged. I am assuming that the pics were in RESOURCE.001, but rewriting the map fails.

Ah, ok. That should be fixed in this latest release.

Offline Collector

« Reply #546 on: December 24, 2015, 02:13:03 AM »
I just tried the newest and it properly rewrites the map. So you can take this one off your bug list. Now I am wondering it it might make more sense to decompile an SCI1 game to do a template game or see if something can be done with Brian's unfinished SCI1 template scripts.

On another note, fooling around with this I noticed that if a source is not found when trying to open a script in the resources that Companion offers to disassemble the script for you. How difficult would it be for it to call the decompiler instead of disassembly?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #547 on: December 24, 2015, 11:39:54 AM »
I fail to recompile scripts from King's Quest 5 CD.
Script #0 appears to be accessing property called 'yourself' from KQ5Cursor, but the KQ5Cursor class (from script #768) doesn't appear to have it.

Any idea?

« Reply #548 on: December 24, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »
I haven't tried compiling script 0, but I messed around with room 1 just fine by itself. I didn't try to compile all scripts.

Offline troflip

« Reply #549 on: December 24, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »
I fail to recompile scripts from King's Quest 5 CD.
Script #0 appears to be accessing property called 'yourself' from KQ5Cursor, but the KQ5Cursor class (from script #768) doesn't appear to have it.

Any idea?

You mean a method? yourself: is a method on Obj, which is the base class for most objects. What's the error? I get errors too, but about not finding the cursor property on TheMenuBar. TheMenuBar kind of looks corrupt.

I'll be away from my main computer for several days, so I won't be able to help much unfortunately. All I can do is helplessly watch the bug reports file in :P

Offline troflip

« Reply #550 on: December 24, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
fyi, it has come to my attention that some changes I made to the decompiler have exposed a bug in the compiler.

Specifically, assignments are no longer pulled out into separate statements by the decompiler. If the assignment is an array though, Companion emits the wrong bytecode. So if you encounter any problems with crashes with decompiled scripts, check to see if you see this pattern (old syntax):

Code: [Select]
(send (= localVar[arrayIndex] (SomeClass:new())):
     someSelector(3)
     anotherSelector(blahblabhlah)
)

and instead pull the assignment out into a line above, and just use localVar[arrayIndex] as the send target.

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #551 on: December 24, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
I'll be away from my main computer for several days, so I won't be able to help much unfortunately.
Enjoy your (well deserved) time off!

« Reply #552 on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
Indeed!

Offline OmerMor

« Reply #553 on: December 26, 2015, 05:20:43 AM »
Some SCI games use kernel functions that are not specified in the their vocab.999 file.
One such example is the Astro Chicken demo from SQ3.
In script #0, in SQ3::init, there is a call to kernel function 112, which according to ScummVM is the Graph kernel function.
The decompiler and the disassembler fails to output something compilable:
   = global598 ?(2)

This is how ScummVM disassembles it:
0001:0102: 39 57          pushi 57
0001:0102: pushi 57
0001:0104: push0
0001:0105: super 34 04
0001:0108: push1
0001:0109: push2
0001:010a: callk Graph[70] 02
0001:010d: sag 0256

Another issue with the same game:
In the same script, there is a weird instance declaration that fails to compile:
(instance logFile of {gamefile.sh}
  (properties)
)

I remember you're out Phil; just documenting this for when you get back...  :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:44:30 AM by OmerMor »

Offline Kawa

« Reply #554 on: December 26, 2015, 05:54:33 AM »
Ah yes, the File class wackiness.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.