Author Topic: SYX2INS "Converter"  (Read 2021 times)

Offline MusicallyInspired

SYX2INS "Converter"
« on: July 11, 2015, 03:48:39 AM »
Here's a tool perhaps not many would use, but is handy if you're a composer trying to make an MT-32 compatible soundtrack for your game. This program converts (or rather, pulls instrument names from) a custom MT-32 programmed SYX file into Cakewalk/Sonar's INS instrument list format. Cakewalk/Sonar uses INS files to map instrument names for MIDI devices. Basically it gives you the names of the instruments in a list so you don't have to select them by number without knowing what the heck you're playing with while recording. Given that the MT-32 is programmable and can have a vastly different patch list depending on what you're composing (as opposed to the static patch lists of General MIDI, GS, or XG or something), this is extremely helpful. This will convert from any SYX file that's programmed specifically for the MT-32 only. I'm thinking of creating another program that will convert straight from an SCI Patch file (patch.001 or 1.pat) instead as well. Until then, Quest Studios has a ton of archived SYX files generated from pretty much every SCI game (all available here http://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststudios/) that one could use.

I've also learned quite a bit about MT-32 sysex dumps and when I tackle pat2ins I'll know even more about the format and may be able to help in some implementation for Companion somehow...

Note: This is distinct from Adlib's InsMaker INS format which contains actual FM patch instrument data, this just generates a list of instruments and has nothing to do with Adlib.

EDIT: I've uploaded the source and binary to Github and now I feel all official.
https://github.com/MusicallyInspired/Syx2Ins
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:35:48 PM by MusicallyInspired »

Brass Lantern Prop Competition

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.