Author Topic: What are we working on?  (Read 133755 times)

Offline Collector

Re: What are we working on?
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2018, 03:51:24 PM »
Given all of the security issues with Java, do they even allow it to run on Droid or iOS these days?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2018, 07:21:57 PM »
Given all of the security issues with Java, do they even allow it to run on Droid or iOS these days?
But... Android runs on Java, though?

Offline lance.ewing

« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »

As far as I know, Java has never run on iOS. Steve Jobs was against it from the start. I think he described it as a big heavyweight ball and chain. To be fair though, he was probably thinking of J2ME at that time, which is what all the phones had prior to that. J2ME has definitely faded away, as have Java applets. I think its still possible to run applets in a browser if you jump through a few hoops, but it is pretty much crippled due to the security lock down on applets. So no one builds applets anymore.

Desktop Java and Android are a different thing though (as is server side Java). Desktop Java is being updated all the time and is regularly getting the latest security patches as far as I know. You just have to keep it up to date.

For Android, most apps are built using Java. Most Android developers would be coding in Java. For the emulators I'm writing, the coding is done in Java using a library called libgdx. It targets several platforms, including desktop, Android, iOS, and HTML5. To code in such a way that it would work when converted to JavaScript and HTML5 is a bit restrictive, so I'm deliberately avoiding the HTML5 support at the moment. Maybe one day I'll take another look at that. I'm also avoiding iOS because there are a few extra things that you have to set up to get that working. Rather than running Java on iOS though, what it does is compile the Java to something that can run on iOS. So its no longer Java anymore. A similar thing with the HTML5 support in libgdx. It compiles the Java to JavaScript. For the desktop and Android versions though, it is Java that you end up with on the other side of the compilation.

Offline AGKorson

« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
Incidentally, the TRS 80 CoCo 3 runs on a 6809 CPU and has a few AGI games available for it.
Do you happen to have any copies of these? My first computer was a 16K CoCo. I wish I had saved it. I have an emulator that I fiddle with from time to time, just to remember the 'good old days'.

Offline MusicallyInspired

« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
I have KQ3 for the CoCo. Never been able to play it as our CoCo never had enough RAM. But I have it CIB and everything.
Brass Lantern Prop Competition

Offline EricOakford

« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
Fresh off the heels of making the SCI01 Template, I have been using it to create a remake of Residence 44 Quest. I figure that creating a game based off my template will help me fix bugs in the template, and I've learned quite a bit about how SCI works, such as adding objects into the game, imposing conditions on events, etc.

The choice for R44Q was inspired by an old project from 2011 that was to be made with AGS. Now that SCI has been much better documented since, I decided to just use that. With SCI01, I don't think running out of heap space will be as big of a problem as it is with SCI0 (even if R44Q isn't nearly as complex as QFG2).

While I have done a significant amount of work on the scripts (using the original's logics for reference), graphics are not my thing. As a result, I can't yet implement animations (which I put in Print messages as a stand-in) or conditions that check for Ego's position.
My SCI templates
SCI0 SCI0.1 SCI1.0 SCI1.1
SCI2.1 planned

Offline Kawa

« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »
Between The Dating Pool and unrelated stuff, I'm working on a set of command line tools for SCI. Some of them are related to my recently basically-finished UTF-8 hack in SCI11. On that same note, I've been working on a somewhat extensive 0.FON that said tools and terp can make use of.

I'm open for suggestions.

Hmm... having the text file to message tool work both ways like the image to font tool does wouldn't be too hard I don't think... maybe add .sh support...

Offline Collector

« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »
Nice
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
I know, right? Now all I need is to add that .sh support.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:10:06 PM by Kawa »

Offline Collector

« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
Does the strike through edit mean you have added it?
KQII Remake Pic

Offline Kawa

« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Yup.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »
As you can see if you're so curious as to switch branches on my github, I've been trying to get compression in SeqMaker. And dammit all I got so close, but there are still parts where it breaks the frame or even the animation as a whole. And the former is practically guaranteed :(

Offline Kawa

« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »
You know how in the SCI Companion view editor you have to break flow to switch to the eyedropper tool? In Phil's experimental branch you can right-click instead but that seems a little counter-efficient to me. So today I added control-sampling to my fork. Left and right mouse clicks work as before, but holding control effectively temporarily switches to the eyedropper.

Also I replaced the eyedropper cursor with one of a more sensible size.

Offline troflip

« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »
So today I added control-sampling to my fork. Left and right mouse clicks work as before, but holding control effectively temporarily switches to the eyedropper.

How does that affect ctrl-resize?
Check out my website: http://icefallgames.com
Groundhog Day Competition

Offline Kawa

« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2019, 03:40:57 AM »
Not. Resizing works on the edge of the cel, but tools work on the inside. You made it like that yourself.

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 24 queries.